PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Lawyer?

oaklander
08-19-2008, 1:50 PM
From reading a recent thread - it looks like we have MANY more lawyers here than I thought!

This is great!

If you're a lawyer - please check in. POLL RESULTS ARE PUBLIC.

:)

MudCamper
08-19-2008, 2:08 PM
The poll should have a third option: wannabe-lawyer, or pretends-to-be lawyer! ;)

oaklander
08-19-2008, 2:08 PM
The poll should have a third option: wannabe-lawyer, or pretends-to-be lawyer! ;)

LOL

:D

RomanDad
08-19-2008, 2:09 PM
Yes.

ivanimal
08-19-2008, 2:10 PM
No too many bad jokes associated with lawyers!:D

Matt C
08-19-2008, 2:18 PM

Yeah, I wanted to put something like that...

Ironchef
08-19-2008, 2:33 PM
Doh! Subtract one of those lawyers and put one in the NO category. I do work in a law firm, but I certainly would not want to be one.

chris
08-19-2008, 2:59 PM
heck we all could be lawyers considering the amount of laws regarding firearms we know because of this place. the amount of knowledge here could fill a law firm alone.

but i'm no lawyer but have learned more about the insane gun laws in this state.

i have to say gun owners in this state know more about firearms laws than the rest of the country.

MrEd
08-19-2008, 3:16 PM
Not a lawyer but I did stay in a holiday inn express last night , does that count ?

Timberwolf
08-19-2008, 3:19 PM
Hell no . . . I just work for 'em

bohoki
08-19-2008, 3:22 PM
one doesn't have to be a lawyer to understand that speed limit 65 means that if you have your car traveling faster than that you may get stopped

aplinker
08-19-2008, 3:24 PM
Yeah, I wanted to put something like that...

I think it's more like, "Paid enough and did enough time I could have my JD"

08-19-2008, 3:59 PM
Does "Jail House" lawyer count?

RomanDad
08-19-2008, 4:07 PM
No too many bad jokes associated with lawyers!:D

A slightly eccentric, wealthy, old man calls his priest, his accountant and his lawyer to his deathbed....

He hands them each a large envelope and says to them, "You three have been my most trusted advisers.... Each of the envelopes contains $10,000 in cash.... On the day of my funeral I want you to each place the envolopes with the cash into my coffin right before its sealed so that nobody can get their greedy hands on it before they bury me!!!

Each nods in agreement...

Weeks later the man dies...

At the funeral, one by one, the priest, then the accountant, then the lawyer approach the casket and toss an envelope into the casket before its closed.

Afterwards the three go have a drink.

"Laddies", the preist begins, "I have a confession to make... I thought of all the hungry children just a portion of that money could feed, instead of going to waste.... I took $1000, of it and donated it to Sister Mary's shelter for the poor.... My envelope only contained $9000..."

The accountant looks relieved... He says "Wow Father, Im glad you spoke up.... I got a hot stock tip and didnt have enough money in my account to cover it... I used the Ten grand to buy it and I lost half of it when the market crashed a few days ago.... My envelope was half empty...."

The attorney looks enraged, and screams "I'm ashamed of BOTH OF YOU!!!! I'll have you know that that envelope contained MY PERSONAL CHECK FOR $10,000!"

Glock22Fan
08-19-2008, 4:19 PM
There's another version where the lawyer is last up to the coffin, puts in his personal check for $30,000 and scoops out the other envelopes.

AaronHorrocks
08-19-2008, 4:26 PM
Q: Are you a lawyer?
A: I'm not a lawyer... Q: Why, would you trust me if I was??? :rolleyes:

mymonkeyman
08-19-2008, 4:39 PM
Ask me November 21, 2008.

packnrat
08-19-2008, 4:42 PM
not a lawyer here, never tried to be one, never pretended to be one.

any body who relies on word of puter is a fool and has a fool for a friend.:eek:

does this mean i must put a disclaimer on all of my posts just so some fool trys to use in court what i said?:eek:

:TFH:

RomanDad
08-19-2008, 4:44 PM

Good luck!:party:

ohsmily
08-19-2008, 9:03 PM

Where did you go to school?

Dont Tread on Me
08-19-2008, 9:37 PM
How about a I just paid $20K to a lawyer to turn my wife into an exwife category?

1911su16b870
08-19-2008, 9:40 PM
I am not a lawyer, but I play one on calguns :D :eek:

chris
08-19-2008, 9:42 PM

good luck to you.

11Z50
08-19-2008, 9:49 PM
For those of us that know and work with lawyers......

Joe Attorney dies unexpectedly at 52 and finds himself at the pearly gates. Of course, he starts to negotiate. "But Saint Peter, I'm, too young to be here! Cut down in my prime at 52! There must be some mistake!" Saint Peter tells the lawyer to wait a bit and he'll be back. Shortly Saint Peter returns with a big stack of billing letters from the lawyer's office. Saint Peter looks at the billable hours and says "Nope, no mistake. According to your billable hours you're 107."

I'm not a lawyer but I know a few....good and bad, just like anybody else. The problem is they can sure make an impact on a person's life.....good or bad.

RomanDad
08-19-2008, 11:31 PM
For those of us that know and work with lawyers......

Joe Attorney dies unexpectedly at 52 and finds himself at the pearly gates. Of course, he starts to negotiate. "But Saint Peter, I'm, too young to be here! Cut down in my prime at 52! There must be some mistake!" Saint Peter tells the lawyer to wait a bit and he'll be back. Shortly Saint Peter returns with a big stack of billing letters from the lawyer's office. Saint Peter looks at the billable hours and says "Nope, no mistake. According to your billable hours you're 107."

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Check out the results... So far were about 10% attorneys...

And to all the attorneys, there is a great article in the NRA magazine this month asking for us to commit to pro bono aid of the 2nd Amendment.

DrunkSkunk
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
I just put esq on all my business cards because it looks cool.

I also just voted yes because the numbers are low.

edwardm
08-20-2008, 4:55 AM
huh. What an amazing coincidence, given what I was talking about not a month ago. ;)

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Check out the results... So far were about 10% attorneys...

And to all the attorneys, there is a great article in the NRA magazine this month asking for us to commit to pro bono aid of the 2nd Amendment.

RomanDad
08-20-2008, 7:18 AM
huh. What an amazing coincidence, given what I was talking about not a month ago. ;)

Sorry- I dont think I saw that.

peekay331
08-20-2008, 9:48 AM
what type of law do you all practice?

JALLEN
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
When one is a lawyer, one sees all the worst behaviors of human nature, all the greed, ambition, infidelity, dishonesty, breaches of trust, sloth, stupidity, and if they are good clients, you help them!

RomanDad
08-20-2008, 1:46 PM
When one is a lawyer, one sees all the worst behaviors of human nature, all the greed, ambition, infidelity, dishonesty, breaches of trust, sloth, stupidity, and if they are good clients, you help them!

I thought you were going to say, "and thats just when you look in the mirror." :D

jhova98040
08-20-2008, 5:34 PM
Almost a lawyer (maybe I should say 2/3 lawyer, :)). 3L at U.C. Hastings.

fairfaxjim
08-20-2008, 6:13 PM
Q: Why does New Jersey have all the toxic waste dumps and CA have all the lawyers?

A: New Jersey had first pick. :D

Ironchef
08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't need lawyer jokes, I get to watch these "Masters of the Universe" fumble around with their blackberries and laptops pretending to know what they're doing then show them the "any key" that solves their problems. I get to leave work everyday and not think twice about them or my work, unlike them.

macadamizer
08-21-2008, 2:44 PM
what type of law do you all practice?

I am a patent litigator, so I am more-or-less useless when it comes to these questions of consitutionality of certain laws, preemption, all that sort of interesting stuff. I am here on the board as a gun owner only!

Not long ago I sent an email to a guy inquiring about a scout scope mount for an M44, I was at work so I sent the email from my work account, with my contact info in the footer. Guy calls me up, a little worried, asking if I wanted to buy one of the mounts to see if it was infringing on someone else's patent. Took a little time to convince him that I really do have an M44, and really did want a scope mount!

Good scope mount, BTW!

Meplat
08-21-2008, 4:59 PM
I think that chief would back me up on this: What you are trying to describe is a SeaLawyer.:D

Meplat
08-21-2008, 5:12 PM
I would rather have a cow man's word than a lawyer's signature.

I work with both.

Timberwolf
08-21-2008, 5:17 PM
I am a patent litigator, so I am more-or-less useless when it comes to these questions of consitutionality of certain laws, preemption, all that sort of interesting stuff. I am here on the board as a gun owner only!

Not long ago I sent an email to a guy inquiring about a scout scope mount for an M44, I was at work so I sent the email from my work account, with my contact info in the footer. Guy calls me up, a little worried, asking if I wanted to buy one of the mounts to see if it was infringing on someone else's patent. Took a little time to convince him that I really do have an M44, and really did want a scope mount!

Good scope mount, BTW!

LOL - I occassionally forget and send an email out of my office acct - surprised the number of quick formal responses I get doing that - ooops

The SoCal Gunner
08-24-2008, 2:47 AM
Any lawyer here know anything about tenant/landlord dispute? I'm in Socal and could use some immediate help.

JasonDavis
08-24-2008, 7:28 AM
Yes, and I couldn't have chosen a better field of law to practice in!!!!!!

caduckgunner
08-24-2008, 7:46 AM
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :D

dilligaffrn
08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Deleted