PDA

View Full Version : Obama and McCain Pick Their Least Favorite Supreme Court Justices

Paladin
08-19-2008, 8:30 AM
This just reinforces what the first sentence in my sig line states. Getting a McCain win and getting the Repubs to take back the Senate is the most important thing any of us can do -- as far as spending our time, money and effort -- for the next 4 months to protect our 2nd A RKBA.

Be sure to post this info on the big national/international forums.

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202423878158

Obama and McCain Pick Their Least Favorite Supreme Court Justices
Tony Mauro
Legal Times
August 19, 2008

The Supreme Court, usually an also-ran as a presidential election issue, got some significant attention at the Rev. Rick Warren's televised Saddleback Civil Forum on Saturday night. In successive interviews on stage at Warren's Saddleback Church in California, Warren asked both Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain the same questions. His way of getting at the Supreme Court was an interesting one, asking not whom the candidates would appoint to the high court, but rather, which of the current justices they would not have appointed.

Obama's unhesitating answer was Justice Clarence Thomas, saying he was not "a strong enough jurist or legal thinker at the time." Obama also mentioned Justices Antonin Scalia and John Roberts Jr., praising their intellect but adding that he did not agree with their constitutional views. Roberts, Obama said, was too quick to favor expansion of executive power, which Obama said concerned him even if he becomes a president who could benefit from the expansion.

McCain was just as quick in responding, rattling off the names of Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, David Souter and John Paul Stevens. He did not accuse them in connection with any specific decision, but suggested they were among the federal judges who legislate from the bench.

Obama is already catching flak for his appraisal, with comments sent out to reporters by CRC Public Relations, which works for the Federalist Society and other conservative organizations, as well as corporations and other nonprofits. "It was clear last night that Obama’s criteria for selecting Supreme Court Justices are fuzzy, lack intellectual coherence, and are subject to his own whims," said Wendy Long, a former Thomas clerk and counsel to the Judicial Confirmation Network.

Said former Reagan Justice Department official Chuck Cooper, "Obama's comments at the Saddleback Forum denouncing the appointment of Justices Scalia and Thomas makes even clearer that principles of judicial restraint will have no place in an Obama Administration and that he will seek to impose his liberal social agenda on the American people through the appointment of crusading activist judges."

Piper
08-19-2008, 8:49 AM
I thought it was interesting that McCain mentioned the four justices that voted for the D.C. gun ban. But just as interesting was the very conservative comments he made in the rest of his "interview".

MrTuffPaws
08-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I thought it was interesting that while McCain states that he would not have confirmed them, yet he voted for their confirmations.

hawk1
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Obama's unhesitating answer was Justice Clarence Thomas, saying he was not "a strong enough jurist or legal thinker at the time."

Look who's calling the kettle black...:rolleyes:

Hopi
08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Look who's calling the kettle black...:rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Artadius/ThatsRacist.gif

j/k....:p

Full Clip
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I thought it was interesting that while McCain states that he would not have confirmed them, yet he voted for their confirmations.

Aw snap!

dustoff31
08-19-2008, 1:33 PM

That's because the question that was asked was not about confimation, but about nomination.

Bad Voodoo
08-19-2008, 2:05 PM
Obama = HYPOCRITE.

Annie Oakley
08-19-2008, 2:20 PM
Did you watch Obama's eyes. When he talked about the Bible his eyes told me that he didn't believe what he was saying.

nicki
08-19-2008, 2:58 PM
IMO Clarence Thomas is the most honest and best justice on the SCOTUS.

I am very happy with both Scalia and Kennedy on the Heller case, but was very disappointed with both of them on the "Raich Case".

Scalia and Kennedy had a opportunity to really nail the abuse of the "Commerce Clause", but didn't because the case involved home grown medical marijuania.

Thomas, Reinquist and O'Connor voted to cut back on "Commerce Clause" abuse. Had Scalia and Kennedy voted the other way, homemade guns could possibly be not subject to Federal Jurisdiction.

I feel that misuse of the "Commerce Clause" and "Taxing Powers" from original intent is the reason we have so much problems in our country and if we can get back to original intent, alot of problems will self correct.

The mark of a great justice is one who will follow the constitution and uphold it, even if it means going against things they personally support.

I expected the 4 liberals to vote the way they did because they want to maintain Federal power at all costs, which is probably why the liberals were apoligizing to sick people about why congress needs to change the law.

I hold my comments on both Roberts and Alioto since they weren't on the court.

I would expect that Obama would dislike Thomas, after all, Thomas represents everything he is against.

Nicki