PDA

View Full Version : AWB 1994 vs. 2000

Ding126
08-18-2008, 7:37 PM
I registered a rifle back in 2000 ( I believe ) what are, if any in the different registration periods?

Since I registered in 2000 does that mean I can have that rifle with all the evil features?

I always carry the DOJ letter in my case showing it was registered in 2000.

bohoki
08-18-2008, 7:40 PM
if you registered it it probably had an evil feature already on it

bwiese
08-18-2008, 7:43 PM
Yes, except for grenade launcher. (Those are intrinsically illegal in CA as a 'destructive device' even if separated from the gun - example: G/L on a Yugo M59/66 Simonov rifle that looks like an SKS.)

The 1994 ban - which expired/sunset in 2004 - is a Federal ban. It's gone.
The 2000 SB23 ban is a CALIFORNIA ban.

These bans had some overlap but many differences. Something might be legal under Fed law but not CA law or vice versa.

Fed 922(r) 'domestic parts content' law and sporting rifle considerations for imported rifles do still continue to exist, this is why people play the '10-or-less key foreign parts' game when building up a rifle from a foreign parts kit.

Yes, it appears you registered your rifle as an assault weapon in 2000 as part of the special AW registration window. Some earlier 'Roberti-Roos' guns were registered in 1990, with a catchup period a year or two after that. ARs and AKs were registerable up until Jan 23, 2001 due to a printing error related to Kasler-decision based "series" registration window. (This special AW registration should NOT be confused with filling out DROS & 4473 forms at the dealer when you bought your rifle in 1999 or earlier.)

There is no legal requirement to carry your AW reg papers, though it can make things easier in a traffic stop - and the DOJ AW reg database is not the most accurate esp in terms of make/model conversions to NCIC standard form. You should carry a copy with you and keep the original in your safe or safety deposit box (you can request a new one from DOJ if you've lost yours).

Ding126
08-18-2008, 7:47 PM
Here is a direct question.

I have & registered a Springfield SAR-8 ( Hk91 ) with flash hider, pistol grip and detachable magazine. Am I O.K. as far as being legal?

I purchased it in this configuration from a shop in San Mateo prior to registration.

Thanks in advance

bwiese
08-18-2008, 7:50 PM
Here is a direct question.

I have & registered a Springfield SAR-8 ( Hk91 ) with flash hider, pistol grip and detachable magazine. Am I O.K. as far as being legal?

Yes, as long as it's a registered assault weapon.

You filed a separate paper with DOJ directly and *not at the dealer*, correct, along with $20 fee?

If so you are OK.

Ding126
08-18-2008, 7:54 PM
correct, I filed separate paperwork after the purchase and received a letter from DOJ with model & serial number on a single sheet.

Thank you, I knew you or someone would chime in. The knowledge of this site amazes me.

Thanks again

bwiese
08-18-2008, 9:47 PM
Do remember that reg'd AWs have more restrictions than long guns.

Not only must they be transported unloaded, they must be locked up and must just transit in between specific allowed destinations - a reg'd AW can't be a "truck gun", unlike a conventionally-stocked Mini14, RAAC Saiga or an 870.