PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Gun

neomedic
02-10-2016, 6:33 PM
Looking for some input on a pocket gun. I prefer 9mm thus I currently have a S&W Shield 9mm and Kahr PM9. However, I'm considering .380 due to the smaller footprint and compactness.

The current heat wave got me thinking of a smaller and lighter pocket gun for khaki shorts. Also for quick trips when I don't want to deal with gun belts and hybrid holsters while wearing gym shorts.

Looking for a striker fire system if possible. Definitely prefer one without safeties. The Sig P238 doesn't fit my needs due to having to take off the safety before use. I've always used striker or DA/SA platforms. Currently looking at a Kahr P380 and Ruger LC380. However, not too thrilled about the long pull and reset of the Ruger. Are there any other pistols similar in size to the Kahr and Ruger that I should look at? Thanks.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/LCP-KahrP380comparisonchart-1.jpg

desertjosh
02-10-2016, 6:37 PM
Good luck. I have the LCP and love it. It's really accurate once you get used to the trigger. Plus it just feels like another cell phone in my pocket. Great gun. Good luck!

musketjon
02-10-2016, 6:38 PM
How about a wheel gun a la the S&W model 60? 5 rounds of .357 mag is a sure man-stopper.
Jon

The_Highwayman
02-10-2016, 6:40 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the other pocket pistols but I love my LCP. I don't really mind the trigger and shoot it fairly well. I carry it in a DeSaint pocket holster.

Dano3467
02-10-2016, 6:44 PM
No J-frame

crono35
02-10-2016, 6:47 PM
taurus curve?

OUTLAWZ
02-10-2016, 6:51 PM
No Glock 43?

neomedic
02-10-2016, 6:57 PM
^^^ Has to be on the Roster. Don't want to pay the extra premium for a "tool" that will be holstered, carried, and thus scratched and shot.

desertjosh
02-10-2016, 6:58 PM
Well the lcp is off roster too

neomedic
02-10-2016, 7:04 PM
^^^ Sorry....meant Ruger LC380. Will edit that. Thanks.

blkside
02-10-2016, 7:04 PM
Keltec PF9.... Size of a 380

artb
02-10-2016, 7:10 PM
LCR327 Mag
LCR9 mm
LCR357 Mag

Just sayin'

oddjob
02-10-2016, 7:10 PM
OP,

Keep your eyes & ears open for deals. I picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380 for cheap by listening to customers at a gun shop. I use it for my pocket gun.

KrisDSA
02-10-2016, 7:46 PM
Kahr P390 all the way. I have had every PG around and the P380 is still my Fav.

MarikinaMan
02-10-2016, 7:49 PM
I have an AMT 380 backup. It's not a great gun, but it carries easy, shoots to 7 yards well and was passed on to me by my late step father. I love it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it won't cycle HPs. So I have an HP in the chamber and FMJs in the mag.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find a suitable pocket cannon.

John Browning
02-10-2016, 7:56 PM
LCP. LC380 is much larger and not really a pocket gun.

Gonumber24
02-10-2016, 8:01 PM
G42

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cokebottle
02-10-2016, 8:01 PM
^^^ Sorry....meant Ruger LC380. Will edit that. Thanks.
LC380 is as big as the LC9... may as well just carry a Shield, but even though it will fit in my jeans pocket, the rear sight snags on the way out. No bueno.

I picked up a P380 Monday.
The long trigger pull/reset is apparently typical for pocket 380s, likely due to the method of carry and lack of manual safety.

It's a long pull, but it is very smooth and the break is consistent.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=480283&stc=1&d=1455163636

Whiskey_Tango
02-10-2016, 8:10 PM
S&W bodyguards always pop up in marketplace for reasonable $. Not striker fired but sure is compact.

JTROKS
02-10-2016, 8:25 PM
Sig 938, S&W Shield, Glock 43 & S&W 640 38 Spl
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/237ADF9A-8685-42B0-B384-28A4A3942054.jpg

Cokebottle
02-10-2016, 8:49 PM
Few more comparison shots:

Kahr P380
Ruger SP101 357mag
S&W Shield
5" 1911

And the last one, the 380 on top of the Shield... that's not a shadow under it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=480296&stc=1&d=1455166088

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=480297&stc=1&d=1455166088

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=480298&stc=1&d=1455166088

dfideth
02-10-2016, 8:54 PM
Seacamp

SonofWWIIDI
02-10-2016, 9:08 PM
I really like the LC9. Yes the trigger is long, but it does wear in nicely after a few hundred rounds.

JMO.

CSACANNONEER
02-10-2016, 9:17 PM
While it's not striker fired, the Seecamp is very small and prized by many who use it as a BUG or a CCW gun.

71MUSTY
02-10-2016, 9:23 PM
You already have a PM9 the P380 functions exactly the same. same exact trigger. Wife has both and can shoot either accurately without any cross training.

If your going to a 380 for pocket carry can't get much better then the P380. I have a Glock 42 which is also good but the slide is about an inch longer, it doesn't shoot any better, and has become over priced in CA. Only advantage of the G42 is an extra round.

I'd go with the P380

Cokebottle
02-10-2016, 9:30 PM
Only advantage of the G42 is an extra round.
And for $20, Magguts.com fixes that.

7 rounds in my short P380 mags, 8 rounds in my Shield carry mags and 9 in the spare.

8+1 is pretty durn close to my G26, and why when I renew the G26 will be replaced with the 380.

NATEWA
02-10-2016, 9:31 PM
Lcp (newer model)

Title1guy
02-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Though I prefer my P938 and P238 for punch and accuracy, my LCP Gen 2 stainless has become my weekday pocket carry in dress slacks. Added the Hogue Handall grip, Galloway guide rod and 13lb recoil spring, and pocket carry it all day long. As light as my cell phone. And, not too punishing to practice with at the range. The ease of carry will make you lazy about carry; but fits the bill for maximum concealment.

Santov
02-10-2016, 10:30 PM
I don't know anything about the Ruger LCP (but I want one), but at Frontsight I've seen 3 Kahr's blow up.

I can't tell you if it was a maintenance thing. 2 of the Kahrs were owned by a vetenarian and his wife. They both blew up the same weekend (rails on the frame). I'd strongly suggest researching reliability on the brand.

Cokebottle
02-10-2016, 10:46 PM
I don't know anything about the Ruger LCP (but I want one), but at Frontsight I've seen 3 Kahr's blow up.

I can't tell you if it was a maintenance thing. 2 of the Kahrs were owned by a vetenarian and his wife. They both blew up the same weekend (rails on the frame). I'd strongly suggest researching reliability on the brand.
They need 200+ rounds to break in.
Prior to that, they need to be watched very closely. Some Youtube videos seem to show a failure to go completely into battery (will go with a tap on the back of the slide).

If these guns were not broken in, and as newbies tend to do, simply "fired and forgotten", there could possibly have been an out of battery detonation... I honestly don't know if the trigger will actuate the pin or not.

CinnamonBear723
02-10-2016, 10:59 PM
+1 for the kahr p380. I've had mine for about a year now. Had some initial issues with feeding for the infamous first 200 rounds but since then it's been a pleasure to shoot. Has one of, if not the, best triggers for a .380 pocket gun. I shoot it pretty well out to ten yards which is good enough for me. I carry it when carrying my glock 19 won't do. Very well made and tightly fitted. It's a little ammo sensitive though. I have better luck with hollow points that are more rounded like golden saber. Good luck with ur decision.

Cokebottle
02-10-2016, 11:17 PM
I have better luck with hollow points that are more rounded like golden saber. Good luck with ur decision.
I've read that the Hornady CD is about the best.
From the ballistic stats, it looks to be a decent performer (particularly given that Federal cheated and used something like a 6" barrel for their HST stats!) and it had a more conical profile with the plastic filler on the tip.

But I'd really like to get a good reliable 100gr JHP that feeds well.

Munny$hot
02-11-2016, 7:08 AM
They need 200+ rounds to break in.
Prior to that, they need to be watched very closely. Some Youtube videos seem to show a failure to go completely into battery (will go with a tap on the back of the slide).

If these guns were not broken in, and as newbies tend to do, simply "fired and forgotten", there could possibly have been an out of battery detonation... I honestly don't know if the trigger will actuate the pin or not.

You need to ise the slide release on the P380 in order to properly chamber a round its written in Kahrs manual. Also as far as the guns blowing up it could be the type of ammo the where using. I have never heard of Kahr having this kind of problem from a quality control stand point.

71MUSTY
02-11-2016, 7:26 AM

I find this post very interesting. What are the odds of a husband and wife BOTH having their handguns blow up? On the same weekend? Last time I was at Frontsight they would not let people train with sub compacts so I'm assuming if this story is factual the KAHRs you saw blow up were not the models we are discussing here. Can you give us any facts? Model, etc?

johnny_boy02
02-11-2016, 7:56 AM
An off roster LCP will still probably be cheaper than the Kahr option. I have a second gen LCP and tge trigger is much much better than the earlier guns.

Otherwise I wouod get the LCR. It is light and easy to carry.

CinnamonBear723
02-11-2016, 9:38 AM
I've read that the Hornady CD is about the best.
From the ballistic stats, it looks to be a decent performer (particularly given that Federal cheated and used something like a 6" barrel for their HST stats!) and it had a more conical profile with the plastic filler on the tip.

But I'd really like to get a good reliable 100gr JHP that feeds well.

I've shot the 90 grain hornady custom xtp out of my kahr as well with great success. That's what I carry in it now. I agree it would be nice to find a reliable 100 grainer to shoot too.

coy80176
02-11-2016, 10:09 AM
That said, I think IWB > pocket. :oji:

CinnamonBear723
02-11-2016, 11:29 AM
That said, I think IWB > pocket. :oji:

I agree. I only carry my kahr when I can't iwb carry my glock 19

neomedic
02-11-2016, 4:13 PM
Yes..I agree. Shield 9mm is my carry most of the time. It's the recent heat wavy and wearing shorts that got me thinking I should have a pocket gun for certain times (like shorts or when I'm really lazy about carrying). In those times, a pocket .380 is better than nothing.

I guess the Kahr P380 is one of the smallest still on the roster. Also I feel Kahrs are pretty well made (especially if you choose the P series).

Will have to look into the seecamp .380 How are their build quality and reliability on feeding and ejecting. Thanks.

EDIT: Just looked at the Roster....Seecamp .32 is the only one on roster. Don't want to go that small of a caliber. Damn Roster. =(

Santov
02-12-2016, 1:45 AM
I find this post very interesting. What are the odds of a husband and wife BOTH having their handguns blow up? On the same weekend? Last time I was at Frontsight they would not let people train with sub compacts so I'm assuming if this story is factual the KAHRs you saw blow up were not the models we are discussing here. Can you give us any facts? Model, etc?

This was 2005, it was a compact Kahr, sorry didn't get the model (I made mental note to never buy a Kahr). The guy and his wife were using Walmart ammo (WWB?).

It's been 6+ years since I've been to FS. I had no idea they banned subcompact. It was definitely a compact or subcompact Kahr, they were the pistols he listed on his CCW application and I specifically remember he was bemoaning he was going to have to find two new small pistols.

Sorry for the total lack of details, I know my experience doesn't add much specifics like a few people demanded.

stix213
02-12-2016, 1:48 AM
If you're looking for a good trigger, I'd consider the Sig P238. Its a single action trigger with a manual safety. I have the off roster version, but there's an on roster version that's probably still a good gun even with the CA crap. The shop down the street from me has one in stock.

Santov
02-12-2016, 2:20 AM
Wow, so I searched my email and found the guy!

This was 2005, so finding a 10 year old message was pretty cool. Yep, him and his wife had Kahrs which BOTH broke the same weekend, but different days. He sent them to Karh and 6 weeks later they sent him new guns with different serial numbers. Which forced him to reapply for his CCW for in Nevada and Cali, I guess he was in process? He was upset it took 6 weeks to get replacements and the paperwork hassle of new serial numbers.

I sent him an email hoping I could jog his memory and get the background.

Cross your fingers!

-V

This was 2005, it was a compact Kahr, sorry didn't get the model (I made mental note to never buy a Kahr). The guy and his wife were using Walmart ammo (WWB?).

It's been 6+ years since I've been to FS. I had no idea they banned subcompact. It was definitely a compact or subcompact Kahr, they were the pistols he listed on his CCW application and I specifically remember he was bemoaning he was going to have to find two new small pistols.

Sorry for the total lack of details, I know my experience doesn't add much specifics like a few people demanded.

CinnamonBear723
02-12-2016, 9:13 AM
Kahr went thru the same aches and pains that a lot of companies do with QC. Today they make much better firearms and they are particularly well know for p380 being high quality.

CABilly
02-12-2016, 9:44 AM

They SAY you can't run a subcompact, but there was a guy in my 4-day class who used a p938 the whole time. I was bummed, because that was the gun I wanted to bring but left at home.

And what, no love for the COP derringer? 4 rounds of .357 in a frame smaller than any subcompact or revolver (save a NAA mini), DA with no safety.