PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Thunder Pro XT Magazine Help

ElVasco
02-10-2016, 1:42 PM
Hi All!

I'm in a pickle and could use some advice.

Last week, my awesome grandma in Utah bought me a Bersa Thunder Pro XT 9mm for a late Christmas/early birthday present. I've wanted one since I heard about it and needless to say I was super excited.

I know that the Thunder Pro XT is NOT on the California roster and I asked Bersa (Eagle Imports) if they would be making a California version and after what I'm sure was a bout of laughter they said no. So, when my grandma offered to get me a firearm as a gift (some days I miss Utah) I knew exactly what I wanted; an off-roster Bersa! And it was perfectly legal as I followed the Calguns (and my local FFL)'s advice on intra-familiar interstate off-roster transfers.

The problem is this; The Pro XT 9mm came with five-17 round clips. Now, I wasn't concerned about this because on Eagle's website and in their 2016 catalog, it clearly says that the Bersa Thunder Pro XT 9mm comes in a 17rd clip and a 10rd clip. My grandma just bought what was there and I assumed, that while it was a bummer, I would lose the five clips (maybe have her or my cousin sell them in Utah online) and I would just buy a couple of 10rd clips. So I jumped on the Eagle Imports website and didn't see them for sell; no big deal - I write Eagle an email. They simply respond "The 10rd clip doesn't fit." I go back and forth with them, getting one sentence responses until I finally send them a screenshot from their website and catalog that says that gun comes with a 10rd clip. They respond "Thanks for pointing that out. We went to the warehouse to double check and it doesn't fit. Maybe Bersa will come out with one in the future." So I head over to Bersa's official website in Argentina and sure enough their catalog says it only comes in 17rd. I write to Bersa of Argentina (I luckily speak Spanish) and they never respond (which, frankly for a company in Argentina, isn't that surprising - my dad is from there and I lived there for awhile and that's pretty typical).

So now I don't know what to do. Do any of you know of a place anywhere in the US where I can have these clips sent to be modified to decrease the capacity? Obviously I had the gun sent without the clips as I know I can't bring them in, so they're still in Utah. I don't know the legality of someone in Utah sending them to a 3rd party somewhere else, which then sends them to me with a fixed-10rd capacity here in California? Does anyone even do that? Essentially I'm pretty worried that I received a gift of a $750 paper weight.

Sorry for the long winded explanation and I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

HopetonBrown
02-10-2016, 2:03 PM
Just have a family member block them then have them shipped.

supertrooper
02-10-2016, 2:07 PM
Its called a magazine not a clip.

boludo12
02-10-2016, 2:12 PM
Boludo, como andas?

Estoy muy celoso que tengas esta pistola. Mandame como anda la pistola.

You can have the mags blocked. There are a few companies that will do that. Once blocked you're good to go for shipping to you.

Buenas suerte.

ElVasco
02-10-2016, 2:21 PM
Just have a family member block them then have them shipped.

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. Unfortunately, my family in Utah doesn't really know how to block a pistol mag... they've never had to.

Thank you for the lesson in semantics. You can comfortably lay your head down tonight with a sentiment of accomplishment that you corrected a term that while ubiquitously understood, is technically incorrect, all while adding absolutely nothing of value. 5-star post.

Boludo, como andas?

Estoy muy celoso que tengas esta pistola. Mandame como anda la pistola.

You can have the mags blocked. There are a few companies that will do that. Once blocked you're good to go for shipping to you.

Buenas suerte.

Gracias, che! Un placer a encontrar un otro boludo en calguns!

Tuve la oportunidad a tirarla mientras estuve en Utah y es una joya!

I will let you know more! Thanks so much!

RedFord150
02-10-2016, 3:01 PM
...Last week, my awesome grandma in Utah bought me ...The Pro XT 9mm came with five-17 round clips. ....

...Thank you for the lesson in semantics. You can comfortably lay your head down tonight with a sentiment of accomplishment that you corrected a term that while ubiquitously understood, is technically incorrect, all while adding absolutely nothing of value. 5-star post. ...

Maybe your awesome grandma can buy you some class.

Rosebud22
02-10-2016, 3:14 PM
You should block out two and ship to Ca. Leave 3 in UT. You should visit Grandma more often.

heyjerr
02-10-2016, 3:16 PM
Thank you for the lesson in semantics. You can comfortably lay your head down tonight with a sentiment of accomplishment that you corrected a term that while ubiquitously understood, is technically incorrect, all while adding absolutely nothing of value. 5-star post.

Yes, welcome to CalGuns. You received your first lesson in a very simple, well stated manner....to which you replied with this snark.

We're excited you got a nice, off-roster pistol. We'll be even more excited if you can man up and find a way to swallow your pride in the future by simply thanking someone for trying to help you not look like an under-informed firearm owner. (I edited this so as not to call you something less flattering, which was hard considering you didn't just make the mistake of calling a "mag" a "clip" but drove it into the ground by repeating it 9 times within a single post).

http://new4.fjcdn.com/comments/Op+here+i+made+this+_8c0fece028c3a877163b3aea745ba 8d8.jpg

ElVasco
02-10-2016, 3:44 PM
Look, I wholeheartedly apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, but let's call this what it is. This is an utter cancer that effects many internet forums and that's faux-gurus spending their time trying to play semantic games to show they're cool. The idea that this gentleman was pursuing threads with the noble intention of simply helping people new to the board with proper terminology is utterly asinine and I think you all know that. Maybe I am newer to this board, but I've been around the internet long enough to spot this very clearly.

Now, had he said "Hi! Welcome! I unfortunately don't have any advice, but just a friendly FYI: when you say 'clip,' I believe the term you're looking for is 'magazine.' Good luck!" I would have immediately thanked him profusely. That's not what happened here and there is no excuse for it. Is he going to say he didn't have time to write like an adult? I find that hard to believe if he has time to go into topics where he clearly has nothing to add except semantic corrections - anyone that does that has plenty of time.

If he was just giving some kind advice as you all proclaim, what is his goal to state it so flatly? Maybe he thought the term "clip" in its misuse was confusing to other users who would otherwise be helping me? If someone interpreted my use of "clip" to mean "firing pin" and not "magazine" then again, I completely apologize; I don't think that's the case.

Maybe he was truly concerned that an individual like myself, new and naive would stumble into a gun store and ask for a pistol "clip" where I would immediately turn into a laughing stock and come home with hurt feelings of what a guy I don't know behind the counter thinks of me.

Tell you what; let me give Supertrooper the benefit of the doubt and assume that he, like you all imply, was merely browsing threads looking to help new users with proper terminology regarding firearms and in his Asperger way did his best imitation of a coherent helping sentence with only the best intentions and I, like the classless jerk I am, reacted in a callous and sarcastic manner. Let this line serve as me "manning up" and offering my sincerest apologies. I wish you godspeed on your journey to help new members use proper terms to fit in the hobby better.

HopetonBrown
02-10-2016, 4:01 PM
I call it a clipazine.

Supersapper
02-10-2016, 4:01 PM
ElVasco,

Rather than put it here, I'm sending you a PM on the posting. One gentleman to another...

Mark

Look, I wholeheartedly apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, but let's call this what it is. This is an utter cancer that effects many internet forums and that's faux-gurus spending their time trying to play semantic games to show they're cool. The idea that this gentleman was pursuing threads with the noble intention of simply helping people new to the board with proper terminology is utterly asinine and I think you all know that. Maybe I am newer to this board, but I've been around the internet long enough to spot this very clearly.

Now, had he said "Hi! Welcome! I unfortunately don't have any advice, but just a friendly FYI: when you say 'clip,' I believe the term you're looking for is 'magazine.' Good luck!" I would have immediately thanked him profusely. That's not what happened here and there is no excuse for it. Is he going to say he didn't have time to write like an adult? I find that hard to believe if he has time to go into topics where he clearly has nothing to add except semantic corrections - anyone that does that has plenty of time.

If he was just giving some kind advice as you all proclaim, what is his goal to state it so flatly? Maybe he thought the term "clip" in its misuse was confusing to other users who would otherwise be helping me? If someone interpreted my use of "clip" to mean "firing pin" and not "magazine" then again, I completely apologize; I don't think that's the case.

Maybe he was truly concerned that an individual like myself, new and naive would stumble into a gun store and ask for a pistol "clip" where I would immediately turn into a laughing stock and come home with hurt feelings of what a guy I don't know behind the counter thinks of me.

Tell you what; let me give Supertrooper the benefit of the doubt and assume that he, like you all imply, was merely browsing threads looking to help new users with proper terminology regarding firearms and in his Asperger way did his best imitation of a coherent helping sentence with only the best intentions and I, like the classless jerk I am, reacted in a callous and sarcastic manner. Let this line serve as me "manning up" and offering my sincerest apologies. I wish you godspeed on your journey to help new members use proper terms to fit in the hobby better.

ElVasco
02-10-2016, 4:08 PM
I call it a clipazine.

Thank you lol. That diffused any frustration I had. I think I might quote that... And I'm psyched it came from a guy whose pic is a Scientist album. "Dance of the Vampires" is an all time great tune.

Librarian
02-10-2016, 5:48 PM
Geez, people.

I'm as 'technically correct' on stuff as you're likely to find.

There are places where pedantry is appropriate, and places one needs to relax.

See also this Remington page (https://support.remington.com/MAGAZINE_CLIPS) - my favorite thing to use an an example; if the manufacturers use the term, can it be entirely wrong?

(But it IS magazine, I tell you, MAGAZINE! :willy_nilly: )

strongpoint
02-10-2016, 6:20 PM
There are commercial service providers outside the state that will block magazines prior to shipping them into California. PM CGN member audiophil2 and see if he will either do this or refer you to someone else who might.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c26b20d3523d58572c00a59fabfc6650/tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Applause for a great answer.

ElVasco
02-10-2016, 6:59 PM
There are commercial service providers outside the state that will block magazines prior to shipping them into California. PM CGN member audiophil2 and see if he will either do this or refer you to someone else who might.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c26b20d3523d58572c00a59fabfc6650/tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Applause for a great answer.
Thanks so much to you and the Librarian for the kind words; greatly appreciated!

Additionally, thanks so much for the lead! I will absolutely reach out to audiophil2. You guys are awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

supertrooper
02-11-2016, 11:56 AM

I will be the first person to admit that i am a smart *** but my response was a serious one. You were the one that chose to use the word clip instead of magazine several times not me. If you were looking for a new recoil spring and you you called it a slide spring would you not want to be corrected so you could kind the right part? It is a common problem with gun owners that are new and that have been around guns for a long time to use the wrong terminology. Unless bersa is making a broomhandle mauser replica, bersa 10 round clips do not exist. Its like going to the auto parts store a trying to buy a carburetor when you need a throttle body. They have similar functions but are not the same thing. Im not offended by your comments but i do find it hypocritical that you are whining about my response assuming i was being a sarcastic douche bag by actually being a sarcastic douche bag.

supertrooper
02-11-2016, 12:34 PM
BTW if you are looking for a kinder gentler gun forum experience try the akfiles. They will be more supportive of you emotional needs.

ElVasco
02-11-2016, 2:33 PM
I will be the first person to admit that i am a smart *** but my response was a serious one. You were the one that chose to use the word clip instead of magazine several times not me. If you were looking for a new recoil spring and you you called it a slide spring would you not want to be corrected so you could kind the right part? It is a common problem with gun owners that are new and that have been around guns for a long time to use the wrong terminology. Unless bersa is making a broomhandle mauser replica, bersa 10 round clips do not exist. Its like going to the auto parts store a trying to buy a carburetor when you need a throttle body. They have similar functions but are not the same thing. Im not offended by your comments but i do find it hypocritical that you are whining about my response assuming i was being a sarcastic douche bag by actually being a sarcastic douche bag.

BTW if you are looking for a kinder gentler gun forum experience try the akfiles. They will be more supportive of you emotional needs.

Maybe I wasn’t very clear in my post. I’m highly unconcerned with your thoughts or opinions. The response of mine that you quoted wasn’t directed at you – it was directed at the people who were chastising me for being “snarky” with you. I assume they were concerned I hurt your feelings (ironic being that you directed me to a “kinder” board but these guys were worried about you being offended). Originally, I expected my initial conversation with you to terminate after my response saying that you added nothing.

Your argument of the reason for your response being to serve as clarification and the repurposing of my firing pin analogy both fail – because they rely on you truly believing that someone would be confused as to what I meant by clip. I know you don’t like the term and it’s incorrect, but I don’t believe that you believe anyone was truly confused by it – I know you don’t. I don’t have to go through many of your past posts to see this behavior repeated consistently. “Blah blah if you don’t like 11 days waiting you should have asked about it from the beginning.” “They removed your poll because they’re sick of your blah blah…” None of your responses serve to benefit anyone at all. You merely lurk threads to add non-helpful tidbits to ensure everybody follows the paradigm you have declared both safe and correct. You’re essentially the equivalent of a mall rent-a-cop; you’re a hobby rent-a-moderator. You’re the guy that goes to a Star Trek Panel to ask actors about inconsistencies in phaser settings because you think it makes you look cool in front of your peers. And guess what? All of this is ok! If it makes you sleep better at night, by all means have fun! Just don’t put lipstick on a pig and pretend it’s a girl – you’re not trying to help anyway or raise awareness, you just want to look cool and reinforce your insecurity that you’re elite in your hobby. You’re the epitome of “tacticool.”

boludo12
02-11-2016, 3:08 PM
What the hell...

1. Clip and magazine are synonymous, at least to anyone with enough knowledge. I understood what was being said and do not care which is used.

2. The post to correct the OP should have been a private message letting him know he may look like a rookie using such terminology. THAT would have shown actual concern for the OP, unlike the way it was done. My first reaction to reading the clip correction was "somebody is having a bad day and taking it out on someone else".

Does this help everyone?

HopetonBrown
02-11-2016, 3:32 PM
What the hell...

1. Clip and magazine are synonymous, at least to anyone with enough knowledge.

There's a difference between clip and magazine, they are not synonymous. The OP just used the wrong term inadvertently, which is no biggie.

RedFord150
02-11-2016, 3:41 PM
... I’m highly unconcerned with your thoughts or opinions. The response of mine that you quoted wasn’t directed at you – it was directed at the people who were chastising me for being “snarky” with you. I assume they were concerned I hurt your feelings ...

^^^Wrong again.

I did not care who's feelings you hurt. You are a jerk, plain and simple. You came onto this board looking for free help from people who know a lot more than yourself and you got an attitude because someone GENTLY criticized a very rookie mistake you made 9 times in your OP.

Not everyone is going kiss your sensitive little ___ like your awesome Grandma does. Growing up is hard. Time to get started.

supertrooper
02-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Maybe I wasn’t very clear in my post. I’m highly unconcerned with your thoughts or opinions. The response of mine that you quoted wasn’t directed at you – it was directed at the people who were chastising me for being “snarky” with you. I assume they were concerned I hurt your feelings (ironic being that you directed me to a “kinder” board but these guys were worried about you being offended). Originally, I expected my initial conversation with you to terminate after my response saying that you added nothing.

Your argument of the reason for your response being to serve as clarification and the repurposing of my firing pin analogy both fail – because they rely on you truly believing that someone would be confused as to what I meant by clip. I know you don’t like the term and it’s incorrect, but I don’t believe that you believe anyone was truly confused by it – I know you don’t. I don’t have to go through many of your past posts to see this behavior repeated consistently. “Blah blah if you don’t like 11 days waiting you should have asked about it from the beginning.” “They removed your poll because they’re sick of your blah blah…” None of your responses serve to benefit anyone at all. You merely lurk threads to add non-helpful tidbits to ensure everybody follows the paradigm you have declared both safe and correct. You’re essentially the equivalent of a mall rent-a-cop; you’re a hobby rent-a-moderator. You’re the guy that goes to a Star Trek Panel to ask actors about inconsistencies in phaser settings because you think it makes you look cool in front of your peers. And guess what? All of this is ok! If it makes you sleep better at night, by all means have fun! Just don’t put lipstick on a pig and pretend it’s a girl – you’re not trying to help anyway or raise awareness, you just want to look cool and reinforce your insecurity that you’re elite in your hobby. You’re the epitome of “tacticool.”

I originally had no intention in posting beyond my first comment. You could have said that using the word clip was ment as a joke, you were to lazy to type magazine 9 times, ignored my comment, or even said my comment added no value and left it at that. I would not have said anything else about it but you were the one that chose to overreact buy resorting to insults and name calling. You can talk all the **** you want, i really dont care what some random guy on the Internet thinks and neither should you.