PDA

View Full Version : Need pricing help on Winchester Model 12 Pigeon

aplinker
08-17-2008, 8:40 PM
A family friend is looking to sell a Winchester Model 12 Pigeon grade shotgun. It's in beautiful shape - bluing looks 100% and the stock only has light handling marks. S/N is 1508323 and appears to be "minted" in 1955.

The bolt looks to be jewelled. There's a Cutts compensator attached (shame), but all three chokes are with it.

The stock and forearm are checkered. These are photos of the actual gun:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x82/uclaplinker/iPhotoiPhoto-mailtmp-1.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x82/uclaplinker/iPhotoiPhoto-mailtmp-2.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x82/uclaplinker/iPhotoiPhoto-mailtmp-0.jpg

It has really gorgeous burled wood and is a 12ga.

Anyone have any clue on value? I believe it's >50yrs old, so C&R, as well.

Thefeeder
08-17-2008, 9:21 PM
A family friend is looking to sell a Winchester Model 12 rifle. It's in beautiful shape - blueing looks 100% and the stock only has light handling marks.

The bolt looks to be jewelled. There's a Cutts compensator attached (shame), but all the chokes are with it.

The stock and forearm are checkered. It looks like this - he believes it's called a beavertail forend:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/listing_images/100037543-3-l.jpg

It has really gorgeous burled wood and is a 12ga.

Anyone have any clue on value? I believe it's >50yrs old, so C&R, as well.

It will be a guess-t-mate..One thing is for sure ...any none factory addition, ie Cutts, ruines the gun's value.
Post pics of both sides of the reciever and the butt stock...does the serial # on the barrel match the reciever? I also see blueing missing in the Pic..are there silvery spots ?

tankerman
08-18-2008, 4:41 AM
Also need the first 3/4 digits of the serial number. M12's have a prefered serial number range.

Is it marked "nickle steel" ?
2 3/4" or 3" ?

aplinker
08-18-2008, 1:46 PM
Thanks for the info... that pic isn't of the gun. He said he'll get me pics in a day or two.

The Cutts comp is factory - they did a series of them like that.

I'll make sure I get the s/n, etc...

aplinker
08-31-2008, 12:41 AM
I've updated with real pics and the S/N.

I've asked him for pics of the barrel markings, as well, and will add those.

aplinker
08-31-2008, 11:50 PM
No one has info or is everyone enjoying the long weekend?

randy
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Take the gun or at least pictures to Oaktree. Shawn deals with lots of model 12's with the cutts, and without.

aplinker
09-02-2008, 2:11 PM
Take the gun or at least pictures to Oaktree. Shawn deals with lots of model 12's with the cutts, and without.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact him.

tankerman
09-02-2008, 7:41 PM
Pros - Nice wood, no rust
Cons - Cutts, no rib

Barrel/receiver extension twists off, so both serial numbers stay with the gun regardless of what barrel you put on. Depending what the contour on top of the receive looks like, that will control what you can do with the gun. A factory or Simmons rib would make the gun more valuable.

Buy it for 350$ or better yet $300. (I would buy it just for that wood)Get a decent barrel for $225-250 and then you would have an $800-900 gun, and then you have the best made pump shotgun ever, the Win M12. Nothing else comes close.

[I have a friend that can fix that gun for you.]

aplinker
09-03-2008, 3:45 PM
So it's that low... I'm sure he's going to be disappointed (and I doubt he'll want to spend to make).

Interesting @ the SNs....

Thanks for your help.

Pros - Nice wood, no rust
Cons - Cutts, no rib

Barrel/receiver extension twists off, so both serial numbers stay with the gun regardless of what barrel you put on. Depending what the contour on top of the receive looks like, that will control what you can do with the gun. A factory or Simmons rib would make the gun more valuable.

Buy it for 350$ or better yet $300. (I would buy it just for that wood)Get a decent barrel for $225-250 and then you would have an $800-900 gun, and then you have the best made pump shotgun ever, the Win M12. Nothing else comes close.

[I have a friend that can fix that gun for you.]