PDA

View Full Version : Trunk guns

concept
08-16-2008, 4:09 AM
Sorry if this topic has been debated to death. I tried searching but got too many hits.

A good friend of mine just got stood up tonight. We live in a good neighborhood and it makes me realize that we are just not safe anywhere. I'm thinking of keeping a trunk gun in my car (most likely a 12 gauge) and debating if that is a good idea.

Beelzy
08-16-2008, 7:16 AM
That could be a good idea, just make sure to keep the ammo seperate.

If safety is paramount, carry a tazer, or OC spray. It is easier to keep those
handy than the gun. Of course, I am assuming you already carry a knife?

sorensen440
08-16-2008, 9:08 AM
That could be a good idea, just make sure to keep it unloaded.

Fixed it for ya

EYP
08-16-2008, 9:12 AM
I had my car broken into, and they stole my pistol. It wasn't a trunk gun, but me having my range bag in the car at the time.

It wasn't a great feeling. My point, if you go down this path, consider the consequences of what would happen when you car is left unattended.

Shotgun Man
08-16-2008, 10:37 AM
A good friend of mine just got stood up tonight. We live in a good neighborhood and it makes me realize that we are just not safe anywhere. I'm thinking of keeping a trunk gun in my car (most likely a 12 gauge) and debating if that is a good idea.

How does your friend's date not showing up implicate your safety concerns?:confused:

sorensen440
08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
How does your friend's date not showing up implicate your safety concerns?:confused:

I suspect that he meant something different when he said stood up

ZapThyCat
08-16-2008, 1:04 PM
A good friend of mine just got stood up tonight. We live in a good neighborhood and it makes me realize that we are just not safe anywhere.

I guess being left on a date is a safety issue? What the heck?:confused:

vandal
08-16-2008, 1:30 PM
How much time will it take to exit your vehicle, get to the trunk and load your shotgun?

Given that much time why would you not drive away or drive over the bad guy instead?

MudCamper
08-16-2008, 1:41 PM
That could be a good idea, just make sure to keep the ammo seperate.

Absolutely positively not true. Keep the ammo anywhere you want, except in the chamber or magazine that is attached to the firearm.

And actually, if you are going to carry a shotgun in your vehicle for self-defense, it can be in the passenger compartment, and concealed. All legal. Only hickup is the federal school zone law (which would never get enforced) but if you are worried about that, get a locking rack.

outersquare
08-16-2008, 1:43 PM
i would atleast keep a gun that uses a magazine, shotguns load slow

i would also use the trunk lock, atleast make it harder for a guy just smashing a window to get into the trunk.
On my car i can lock the interior release, but the key remote still allows remote open.

AJAX22
08-16-2008, 4:33 PM
A Saiga12 has the best of both worlds.... a 12 gauge semi auto that holds 10 rounds and loads from a magazine.

I had intended to use a ruger pc4 carbine for my trunk gun, but wound up using an AR7.

My thought being that If I needed one it would probably be for a breakdown/get food situation not a SHTF situation.

And if TSHTF, I could get a very nice gun using my .22LR, a 2 liter soda bottle and a bit of duct tape.

Beelzy
08-16-2008, 5:12 PM
Absolutely positively not true. Keep the ammo anywhere you want, except in the chamber or magazine that is attached to the firearm.

Thank you for honing my point, I should have been clearer. :)

concept
08-16-2008, 8:44 PM
I realize I have to keep it unloaded. They weren't in their cars, it happened in a parking lot. A man came up to two of my friends and tried to steal their car. He said he had a gun but my friends said they never saw one. Luckily, nothing happened and he ran off. I do carry a clip type pocket knife but if the other person has a gun, I'm not sure I want to bring a knife to a gunfight. The only thing, as someone mentioned, would be if someone steals my car or tries to steal from it. I have a trunk lock function where they won't be able to open the trunk from the inside and only opens with my key fob. I would preferably try to hide it on the top of my trunk with velcro or some sort so nobody knows that its there when they open my trunk, eg: car wash.

Chev
08-16-2008, 9:29 PM
From what I've read on this forum it is legal to keep a 12 gauge in the trunk with shells on the stock in a sidesaddle, even though it's "attached" it's not in a position to be fired "as is" so its not loaded per the law. I'm sure someone more informed could clarify. I would be worried keeping shells in a magazine, even a shotgun magazine, for LEO confrontations considered "loaded" status.

If you are planning to leave a gun in the car or even taking it to the range it is a good idea to watch the Youtube videos posted in this forum about police confrontations and your right to unreasonable searches, I learned invaluable information about how to approach a possible confrontation with police, and what you should and shouldn't say, while being polite and professional.

Video 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Video 2 (watch all 4 or 6 parts):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

packnrat
08-16-2008, 10:47 PM
and how does one do all this when it is a truck? aka no trunk.:chris:

as i do not own any cars, just a truck and a open jeep.:eek:

:TFH:

tombinghamthegreat
08-16-2008, 11:37 PM

A locked container like a gun case with a lock functions the same as a trunk.

MudCamper
08-16-2008, 11:44 PM

There are no prohibitions for transporting long guns, openly or concealed.

Technically, legally, you can have your shotgun on the seat next to you, hidden under a jacket, with shells attached to it in a sidesadle or other shell carrier. Of course, you'll almost definately get harrassed by LEO if they discover it.

sorensen440
08-16-2008, 11:46 PM
There are no prohibitions for transporting long guns, openly or concealed.

Technically, legally, you can have your shotgun on the seat next to you, hidden under a jacket, with shells attached to it in a sidesadle or other shell carrier. Of course, you'll almost definately get harrassed by LEO if they discover it.
100% correct
I also want to add it is worth putting in a container just to keep it clean

movie zombie
08-17-2008, 9:58 AM
I had my car broken into, and they stole my pistol. It wasn't a trunk gun, but me having my range bag in the car at the time.

It wasn't a great feeling. My point, if you go down this path, consider the consequences of what would happen when you car is left unattended.

given my husband's car was stolen while in Palm Springs a couple of years ago [but recovered 24 hours later], my car broken into and the stereo system stolen in San Jose last march [never recovered], and his laptop stolen from the trunk of his car at the oakland collesium during a stones concert about 3 years ago [also never recovered], i'm not inclined to have a trunk gun.......but i'd really like to.

movie zombie

Meplat
08-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe he depends on her for his heavy work.

I guess being left on a date is a safety issue? What the heck?:confused: