PDA

View Full Version : Put a Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm Target on layaway

spencerk
02-02-2016, 2:30 PM
I am super excited to Dros it and pick it up. I have been waiting for a couple of years to manage to get one.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/spencerkohl/Mobile%20Uploads/20160202_093752_zpsbmzkdaaw.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/spencerkohl/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160202_093752_zpsbmzkdaaw.jpg.html)

I got the last one my LGS had in stock right when they opened. And I only managed to beat another customer to it by 20-30 seconds. Not to say we raced to it but I walked in the store Just a few seconds before he did and had it in my hand before he even asked about one.

Makes the purchase feel that much sweeter. I can't believe I finally got my hands on a 9mm 1911...

SWAT226
02-02-2016, 2:32 PM
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgcabs
02-02-2016, 2:52 PM
You are going to love it!

golfish
02-02-2016, 2:57 PM
Nice, I really like my Mil Spec

spencerk
02-02-2016, 3:19 PM
I was going to try and find a used off roster 9mm 1911 with Novak sights but decided that the target sights might come in useful (plus it gave me an excuse to buy a gun that is more often than not way out of my price range... Plus, how many security guards do you see carrying $1000 1911's?

SKULS
02-02-2016, 3:29 PM
Any comparison to new EMP4???

Rhyyke
02-02-2016, 4:08 PM
You made an awful choice and will definitely come to regret it.

I hated that gun on sight. Which is why I bought one myself. Terrible, terrible life choice.

spencerk
02-02-2016, 4:09 PM
The emp is a lightweight carry gun. The loaded target 9mm is a full size 100% steel gun. I am not a fan of alloy frame 1911's. I have always wanted a 9mm 1911 and have never really been a fan of target sights. Since I posted this thread I have decided that I am going to end up getting the Harrison fixed LPA cut 3 dot night sights if the target sights end up being a pain to carry on duty.

I already have a hiviz overloaded fiber optic front sight for it that I am going to have put on once I dros the gun so it will at least have some contrast to the sights. I am a gain of plain rears with fiber optic front sights on any gun for daytime shooting but I often work at night so we shall see how the dimly lit street my post is on fares with the fiber optic sights before I load the gun up for duty one day.

I am also going to replace the ambi safety for a single sided target safety.

What one piece mainspring housing magwell would you guys recommend? I would like it to fit flush with standard sized grips.

spencerk
02-02-2016, 4:10 PM
You made an awful choice and will definitely come to regret it.

I hated that gun on sight. Which is why I bought one myself. Terrible, terrible life choice.

I'm getting mixed signals here... Lol

SonofWWIIDI
02-02-2016, 4:17 PM
Sweet! Don't forget the range report.

:D

Whiskey_Tango
02-02-2016, 4:19 PM
Nawice! :thumbsup:

Sentenza
02-02-2016, 4:27 PM
What one piece mainspring housing magwell would you guys recommend? I would like it to fit flush with standard sized grips.

I've always installed an S&A magwell. Just remember you will need new mainspring, plunger and cap when you replace the ILS MSH.

mike.h
02-02-2016, 4:29 PM
very nice

kgcabs
02-02-2016, 4:42 PM
I've always installed an S&A magwell. Just remember you will need new mainspring, plunger and cap when you replace the ILS MSH.

I agree.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kgcabs/100_4340_1_zps0qquwgrt.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kgcabs/media/100_4340_1_zps0qquwgrt.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kgcabs/100_4341_1_zpsj44jlosf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kgcabs/media/100_4341_1_zpsj44jlosf.jpg.html)

spencerk
02-02-2016, 4:43 PM

Oh yes I know. I have a bunch of armorers certifications, and my favorite guns to work on are 1911's. I have just never purchased a one piece magwell before but I just had bad luck getting one cerakoted. The head blasting process loosened up all of the areas that the magwell locked into the mainspring housing and would shift around under recoil or when getting in or out of the guard truck it would get smacked around and end up being knocked out of place or stripping a screw.

But the S&A's have always been on my list and we're the ones I were thinking of. Just wanted to see if I could get the answer I was thinking of without asking a loaded question.

Rhyyke
02-02-2016, 4:54 PM

I have three 1911s with S&A's in them, two of them fit perfectly with no work, but the third (happens to be in my 9mm Target too) had to be hammered a little bit to fit. Rob over at ACW suggested I always use Nighthawk... but they are twice the price of S&A.

bsg
02-02-2016, 5:57 PM
congrats.

spencerk
02-02-2016, 7:31 PM
congrats.

I have been reading on the forums that the loaded target 9mm has been discontinued for a while.... Is that even true?

kayaker55
02-02-2016, 8:11 PM
Congratulations ! Outstanding purchase. Break it in, then get a trigger job.

keenkeen
02-02-2016, 8:14 PM
I have been reading on the forums that the loaded target 9mm has been discontinued for a while.... Is that even true?

I came here to call the OP a liar because everyone on Calguns knows these where disconiuned over a year ago, never to be made again and never to be sold in CA again.

:oji:

spencerk
02-02-2016, 8:26 PM
I came here to call the OP a liar because everyone on Calguns knows these where disconiuned over a year ago, never to be made again and never to be sold in CA again.

Well now I feel even more lucky. My wife spotted me the down payment for it nonetheless... Seems like today I got a visit from the gun fairy.

And it really doesn't need a trigger job. Not only that, it's going to be my duty weapon and I wouldn't a trigger job on it anyway. Just night sights most likely. And I actually like the look of the fixed LPA cut sights over standard Novak sights.

nothingextra
02-02-2016, 8:27 PM
I have an SA magwell msh and standard parts, it was an instant trigger job. Just keep the old parts around if you have to sent back to SA.

rdtompki
02-02-2016, 8:34 PM
Our SA 9mm 1911 Loaded Target handguns have been very, very reliable. Our two competition guns have about 25K rounds each with never a failure to feed or eject (save for overly soft competition loads). One firing pin stop has failed in all those rounds. The triggers on the four guns (2 backups) varied quite a bit, but that's easily remedied. If you keep the rear target sight you will definitely want to go with a 0.100" wide front sight for anything but bullseye; not much white space with the stock setup (unless you have really, really short arms:)).

Harrison Extreme Duty safety is a wonderful improvement; really lets you get the right thumb forward, but I know some folks like the higher thumb position with the "competition" safety. Also, much easier to detail strip the gun with the single-sided safety.

Anyway, congratulations on the addition.

5ZS
02-02-2016, 8:37 PM
No need to be a drama Queen in every single Springfield 1911 9mm thread.

Yes, they are discontinued in their yearly catalog for at least 2015 and 2016. They will make batches just to sell as distributors order them. Distributors/dealers will order them if they think they can move them. Just like the full rail TRP, they will still make them with no issues.

Source: call Springfield, it's free: 1 (800) 680-6866, no need to be a drama Queen.

spencerk
02-02-2016, 8:38 PM
Our SA 9mm 1911 Loaded Target handguns have been very, very reliable. Our two competition guns have about 25K rounds each with never a failure to feed or eject (save for overly soft competition loads). One firing pin stop has failed in all those rounds. The triggers on the four guns (2 backups) varied quite a bit, but that's easily remedied. If you keep the rear target sight you will definitely want to go with a 0.100" wide front sight for anything but bullseye; not much white space with the stock setup (unless you have really, really short arms:)).

Harrison Extreme Duty safety is a wonderful improvement; really lets you get the right thumb forward, but I know some folks like the higher thumb position with the "competition" safety. Also, much easier to detail strip the gun with the single-sided safety.

Anyway, congratulations on the addition.

The first things to go is going to be the ambi safety and FLGR.

As I said before this is going to be another duty weapon for me (hopefully my primary if it proves as dear nuts reliable as my RIA.)

Cato
02-02-2016, 9:21 PM
Layaway?

Does Zody's sell guns?

spencerk
02-02-2016, 9:38 PM
Martin b rettings in culver city does layaway on firearms.

Nick Adams
02-02-2016, 9:50 PM
I bought one on a whim. Turned out to be a good decision.

trigger945
02-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Great story. That long of a wait and it is finally here. Congrats!

Enjoy it

Erion929
02-02-2016, 11:11 PM

In like clockwork, once again......boring hyperbole :sleeping:

spencerk
02-02-2016, 11:53 PM
Great story. That long of a wait and it is finally here. Congrats!

Enjoy it

I used to have to well them to customers before I could get a chance to get my hands on one. Now that I'm a customer again I managed to get my hands on one....

Ugh I can't wait to dros it. I can already see my BP going up until this gun is in my possesion...

JTROKS
02-02-2016, 11:55 PM
You'll enjoy shooting that gun. Just take it easy for you may just spend more money to make her look and feel as good as she shoots.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/985025fc191be760b5907e16110c9bc6.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/87dc30840e6e764cb2046cf1140732db.jpg

cebuvfr
02-03-2016, 12:36 AM
Congrats!

B.W.
02-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Nice pick up OP! I enjoy mine every time I take it out to the range!

cebuvfr
02-03-2016, 12:59 AM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/985025fc191be760b5907e16110c9bc6.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/87dc30840e6e764cb2046cf1140732db.jpg[/QUOTE]

Nice! What grips are they?

JTROKS
02-03-2016, 2:03 AM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/87dc30840e6e764cb2046cf1140732db.jpg

Nice! What grips are they?[/QUOTE]

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/vz-recons/vz-recons-zebra-g10

rdtompki
02-03-2016, 6:03 AM
The first things to go is going to be the ambi safety and FLGR.

As I said before this is going to be another duty weapon for me (hopefully my primary if it proves as dear nuts reliable as my RIA.)

I did just put the Wilson guide rod into all four of our guns. No further need of the tool. The SA comes with a 2-piece guide rod. I never had a single problem with ours, but it's just nice not to have to use a tool for a field strip.

Most of the 25K rounds were 147gr coated FP ammo and no problem feeding. I never ran SD ammo through the guns, but I assume if it feeds the FP then HD ammo should be fine.

keenkeen
02-03-2016, 6:56 AM
No need to be a drama Queen in every single Springfield 1911 9mm thread.

Yes, they are discontinued in their yearly catalog for at least 2015 and 2016. They will make batches just to sell as distributors order them. Distributors/dealers will order them if they think they can move them. Just like the full rail TRP, they will still make them with no issues.

Source: call Springfield, it's free: 1 (800) 680-6866, no need to be a drama Queen.

So they are "discontinued" but still made and available?

"You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means..."

Kowan
02-03-2016, 7:46 AM
I installed a SA magwell and the same VZ grips on mine.
I still need to have a fiber optic front sight installed though.

cebuvfr
02-03-2016, 8:10 AM
Nice! What grips are they?

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/vz-recons/vz-recons-zebra-g10[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Gary13
02-03-2016, 9:14 AM
Just purchased one from a Calgunner. Wonderful to shoot. Mine has the GI guide rod which makes it easy to take apart and reassemble.

iluvmycolt
02-03-2016, 9:22 AM
Very nice, OP. Congrats :thumbsup:

5ZS
02-03-2016, 11:08 AM
So they are "discontinued" but still made and available?

"You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means..."

You will need to learn how to read full sentences, and maybe you will understand the meaning in context as opposed to picking just one word.

Since you quoted me (I did not quote anyone), congratulations on volunteering to be Calguns drama Queen. You win that tiara with no objections.

whipkiller
02-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Wow, it took almost 45 minutes for the hyperbole hardon to get in here and show us all how smart and superior he is... You're slacking there pal.:rolleyes:

~Discontinued, Discontinued, Discontinued,~ :p

OP, great pickup... I love my DISCONTINUED Loaded 1911 in 9mm.;)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=466604&d=1451319307

spencerk
02-03-2016, 1:03 PM
I am extremely excited to pick it up. The last 1911 I bought as a project gun ended up needing more work than I had originally hoped for. I could have bought a full rail TRP for the money and time I sunk into my RIA 1911. I am happy with it but I wish it was complete

dfletcher
02-03-2016, 1:08 PM

Perhaps it's a sales ploy, who knows - if so it seems to work. I was in Oregon a few weeks back and the local stores have these marked down to about $759.00. Interesting that in "free states" discontinued means the retailer has to mark down & move them out, in CA it's "I better get one while I can". I bought one a few months back, didn't know they were supposedly no longer carried by SA.

JTROKS
02-03-2016, 1:41 PM
With the new 9mm 1911 LT models there's something different about them. Thats all I'm gonna post.

keenkeen
02-03-2016, 2:36 PM
You will need to learn how to read full sentences, and maybe you will understand the meaning in context as opposed to picking just one word.

Since you quoted me (I did not quote anyone), congratulations on volunteering to be Calguns drama Queen. You win that tiara with no objections.

Dis.con.tin.ued
ˌdiskənˈtinyo͞od/
adjective
(of a product) no longer available or produced.

spencerk
02-03-2016, 3:21 PM
Perhaps it's a sales ploy, who knows - if so it seems to work. I was in Oregon a few weeks back and the local stores have these marked down to about $759.00. Interesting that in "free states" discontinued means the retailer has to mark down & move them out, in CA it's "I better get one while I can". I bought one a few months back, didn't know they were supposedly no longer carried by SA.

Most of my family loves in Washington state and when I was up there a month ago, I noticed everything was between 10-20% cheaper as far as firearms go. I saw a used springfield armory 9mm loaded target for $599 with 4 mags and adjustable night sights.

In all honesty I would have paid way more than I did for it. Mine was marked at $989. I've been waiting for so long to get one, and missed out on more than 10 of them, that if they had it marked at $1300, in my current obsessive state, I probably would have paid for it.

Out the door it's going to come in just over $1100. With all of the sadness brought on by my troublesome RIA project, buying a facory new gun is going to feel extremely good.

To be honest this 1911 is the first factory new 1911 I have ever purchased. Not counting my NAA mini master, it's been over a year since I purchased a factory new gun. I always end up looking for used guns.

I even decided to try and trade my RIA for a 9mm RIA or other low end 9mm 1911 on the forums. Since my wife and I are looking for a new apartment I really didn't want to spend any money but she convinced me that I should buy this gun since I have been putting off all of my other gun purchases the last few months to save up money, and this was the one gun she always heard me ask the gun store if they had it in stock. She told me that she didn't want to see me sad because I didn't get the toy I wanted haha.

dfletcher
02-03-2016, 3:46 PM
Most of my family loves in Washington state and when I was up there a month ago, I noticed everything was between 10-20% cheaper as far as firearms go. I saw a used springfield armory 9mm loaded target for $599 with 4 mags and adjustable night sights.

In all honesty I would have paid way more than I did for it. Mine was marked at $989. I've been waiting for so long to get one, and missed out on more than 10 of them, that if they had it marked at $1300, in my current obsessive state, I probably would have paid for it.

I paid about the same for mine - River City Gun Exchange had a few in stock months ago. I also switched out the FLGR for standard GI set up but have kept everything else as is. The trigger was terrible but cleaned up well.

I have plenty of 45 ACP 1911s, getting the 9mm version was just a "wanna have it" and told myself ammo is cheaper, a touch less recoil too. I don't reload for 9mm, so chasing brass at the range is replaced by just shooting & having fun.

spencerk
02-03-2016, 4:19 PM
I paid about the same for mine - River City Gun Exchange had a few in stock months ago. I also switched out the FLGR for standard GI set up but have kept everything else as is. The trigger was terrible but cleaned up well.

I have plenty of 45 ACP 1911s, getting the 9mm version was just a "wanna have it" and told myself ammo is cheaper, a touch less recoil too. I don't reload for 9mm, so chasing brass at the range is replaced by just shooting & having fun.

I'm not a fan of flgr's... I already have a gi length guide rod waiting for my SA to come home.

My main reason was ammo price. I wanted a new 9mm since I don't really like my SA Xd9 but I wanted something full steel since its going to be used on duty. I like CZ's but I just can't justify buying a full steel double stack full size 9mm when the trip is just going to be wasting space.

That's when the idea of a 9mm 1911 hit me again and took priority over all other purchases. Having a grip that holds a single stack 9 or 10 round magazine seems ideal for a security guard duty weapon since we are only allowed to use 10 round mags unless we are ODO's (off duty officers).

So a 9mm full steel 1911, in my mind, is the perfect duty weapon for me.

That being said I don't want people to think I am the next Gekko45 whenever they see me carrying a super flashy 1911. I look ridiculous enough carrying my tricked out RIA 1911 crossdraw that all the LEO's I regularly encounter at my job have started calling me Ranger Spencer or cowboy... Then add on the body armor and the rest of my duty gear and the only thing that allows people to tell the difference between me and a LEO is the patches that say security. But when I do EP, I look like every other schmuck in a suit.

Let's hope the mayor doesn't come asking me to start a tactical response team for the local mall... Gekko45 might get jealous :cool2:

But seriously, I don't get why there aren't more full size single stack 1911's on the CA roster. Especially in the RIA line...

5ZS
02-03-2016, 4:58 PM
Yes, they are discontinued in their yearly catalog for at least 2015 and 2016.
Dis.con.tin.ued
ˌdiskənˈtinyo͞od/
adjective
You will need to learn how to read full sentences, and maybe you will understand the meaning in context as opposed to picking just one word. ...

keenkeen
02-03-2016, 6:00 PM
^^^ You don't seem to get that a product can't be "discontinued" from a catalog.

I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand so I thought maybe knowing what the word means may help you.

You're welcome.

5ZS
02-03-2016, 7:48 PM
^
When people are talking about discontinued (in context to Springfield), we are talking about how Springfield defines their product line (at least for a year's time) which would be their catalog, website, or on the phone. Each and every year Springfield has continuously cataloged the model PI9134LP up until 2015 when they discontinued to do so.

You are talking about an product vs catalog, which makes no sense at all, and just take things literally instead of in context. So again, this comes from Springfield, so you may contact them and tell them they cannot discontinue it, and stop producing them even though they have discontinued.

Bottom line, the OP started an thread and excited about a new gun. All you basically do is poop in peoples thread with no value, just a stupid childish rant much to do about nothing. It is childish and gets old very quick.

With that, I apologize to the OP for this, and congratulations on your pending fun gun. Something of small value (since I did own the same 1911-9mm at one time), look to add some Dawson front FO's, it does make this one much more fun.

keenkeen
02-03-2016, 7:53 PM
^
When people are talking about discontinued (in context to Springfield), we are talking about how Springfield defines their product line (at least for a year's time) which would be their catalog, website, or on the phone. Each and every year Springfield has continuously cataloged the model PI9134LP up until 2015 when they discontinued to do so.

You are talking about an product vs catalog, which makes no sense at all, and just take things literally instead of in context. So again, this comes from Springfield, so you may contact them and tell them they cannot discontinue it, and stop producing them even though they have discontinued.

Bottom line, the OP started an thread and excited about a new gun. All you basically do is poop in peoples thread with no value, just a stupid childish rant much to do about nothing. It is childish and gets old very quick.

With that, I apologize to the OP for this, and congratulations on your pending fun gun. Something of small value (since I did own the same 1911-9mm at one time), look to add some Dawson front FO's, it does make this one much more fun.

Wow..Drama Queen much?

And you still don't seem to understand the word "discontinued".

"...when they discontinued to do so."

LMAO.

Bushwack44
02-03-2016, 8:04 PM
Welcome to the club. Shoot the heck out of it. For me, use minimal lubrication on the slides (contrary to what I do with other 1911s). I find using too much oil makes the slide feel loose. YMMV. Just enjoy!

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss307/Bushwack44/Gun%20Album/20160104_VZ_Grips_zpstosnpgzq.jpg~original (http://s586.photobucket.com/user/Bushwack44/media/Gun%20Album/20160104_VZ_Grips_zpstosnpgzq.jpg.html)

nothingextra
02-03-2016, 8:19 PM
I have three 1911s with S&A's in them, two of them fit perfectly with no work, but the third (happens to be in my 9mm Target too) had to be hammered a little bit to fit. Rob over at ACW suggested I always use Nighthawk... but they are twice the price of S&A.

I had a gap on my last one BTW frame and top of the magwell.
Next one I install I'm getting a non drilled may from S&A and drilling it myself.

spencerk
02-03-2016, 8:45 PM
^

I already have a hiviz overloaded FO front sight that I am going to have installed. In not a fan of fiber optic sights on duty weapons because they CAN break. After I get sick of the overloaded sight I am going to swap the front and rears for a set of fixed night sights.

I'm worried about carrying my 1911 with the adjustable rear. I would hate to knock the sight out of alignment of cut up my gut.

5ZS
02-03-2016, 8:49 PM
Wow..Drama Queen much?

And you still don't seem to understand the word "discontinued".

"...when they discontinued to do so."

LMAO.

Yep, more childish trolling of no value. Even a third grader have better conservation and understanding skills than that. Someone just needs to grow up, confirmed by all your childish post of no value. Get a life, grow up and a productive member. Your childish post does nothing, but just proves how little you are. Continue to post or discontinue to post. Enjoy.

keenkeen
02-03-2016, 9:03 PM
Yep, more childish trolling of no value. Even a third grader have better conservation and understanding skills than that. Someone just needs to grow up, confirmed by all your childish post of no value. Get a life, grow up and a productive member. Your childish post does nothing, but just proves how little you are. Continue to post or discontinue to post. Enjoy.

...and the "value added" above was?

And why are you asking about someone who you're spending time thinking about their "productive member"...sounds suspect to me.

spencerk
02-03-2016, 9:47 PM
Oh my Lord both of you go buy a kiddie pool, a few galons of baby oil, a matching pair of bikini's, and go settle this like strippers...

Then post it on YouTube so the rest of us can point out the pointlessness...

Andyman562
02-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Great choice! Love mine! Just wish we could get the new RO 9mm edition with the rail in Cali....

spencerk
02-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Great choice! Love mine! Just wish we could get the new RO 9mm edition with the rail in Cali....

I would really like to see springfield make a full rail 99mm 1911 with a standard bushing rather than a bishingless design. I really can't stand them. From a maintenance standpoint, they are a real PITA to me.

I can't wait to get mine though. I would love a railed 1911 for dedicated graveyard duty

RR.44
02-04-2016, 6:27 AM
You are going to love that gun, mine has been nothing but shear pleasure to shoot, it is an very accurate gun to boot.

Good job, congrats.

Rich:cool:

keenkeen
02-04-2016, 6:45 AM
I would really like to see springfield make a full rail 99mm 1911 with a standard bushing rather than a bishingless design. I really can't stand them. From a maintenance standpoint, they are a real PITA to me.

I can't wait to get mine though. I would love a railed 1911 for dedicated graveyard duty

I guess they can be a "PITA"...

If you can't scrape up $9.99.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-spring-plugs/5-reverse-plug-sku791000005-12422-29316.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-1911%20Reverse%20Plugs&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c791000005_d_ 791000005_d_10592

keenkeen
02-04-2016, 6:50 AM

Rob knows what's up, the Nighthawk part is worth the $.

whipkiller
02-04-2016, 8:48 AM

I think that might be a little heavy for carry, not to mention the cost of ammo.

tacos3
02-04-2016, 9:19 AM
Congrats. I bought one a couple of months ago. There is just something about an all steel 1911 and 9mm. Heavy gun, light load = a great shooter.

Since buying mine I've turned into a comp gun for IDPA. Trigger job with a nice 3.25 lb trigger, action job, polished all internals, Dawson FO front sight, low non ambi safety, thin VZ grips and wilson magwell. Had to do some blending(filing, grinding and polishing) to get mags to drop and here are couple of photos. This has become my favorite gun to shoot, better than my Zev G34 and G19, M&P Pro CORE ported 5" and anything else in my safe.

Enjoy!

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/9822/FKSIyC.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6663/16gZZ6.jpg

spencerk
02-04-2016, 2:25 PM
Congrats. I bought one a couple of months ago. There is just something about an all steel 1911 and 9mm. Heavy gun, light load = a great shooter.

Since buying mine I've turned into a comp gun for IDPA. Trigger job with a nice 3.25 lb trigger, action job, polished all internals, Dawson FO front sight, low non ambi safety, thin VZ grips and wilson magwell. Had to do some blending(filing, grinding and polishing) to get mags to drop and here are couple of photos. This has become my favorite gun to shoot, better than my Zev G34 and G19, M&P Pro CORE ported 5" and anything else in my safe.

Enjoy!

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/9822/FKSIyC.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6663/16gZZ6.jpg

That is a beautiful gun. How much was the magwell?

keenkeen
02-04-2016, 2:30 PM
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainspring-housings/1911-ez-loader-prod16413.aspx?avs%7cFinish_1=Stainless+Steel

spencerk
02-04-2016, 2:45 PM
Wow for one of the hook style magwell that looks really clean... I tried putting one of those on an older colt and it left a huge gap

soulbyte
02-04-2016, 4:06 PM
Congrats op, your post made me jealous I've been searching for one the last 6 months. So for the last couple of days I've been calling around and finally found one for myself, Loaded with the bomar sights in 9mm. Jailed it today :)

spencerk
02-04-2016, 4:08 PM
They aren't bomar sight FYI. They are actually LPA cut.

soulbyte
02-04-2016, 4:46 PM
Thanks for clearing that up!

spencerk
02-04-2016, 4:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up!

I just figured it out myself while looking for a set of fixed night sights for it. There aren't a lot of options but the sights actually do look pretty good

tacos3
02-04-2016, 6:25 PM
That is a beautiful gun. How much was the magwell?

It's a Wilson Combat 1 piece. $189 or so. When I first installed it, mags wouldn't drop out as they got caught on the lip. Did some filing to get the mags to work. I shot a match and it worked flawless. I went back in after to finish the blending. Lots of filing, grinding, sanding and polishing. I think it came out pretty good.

It's a quality magwell....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spencerk
02-04-2016, 6:40 PM
It's a Wilson Combat 1 piece. $189 or so. When I first installed it, mags wouldn't drop out as they got caught on the lip. Did some filing to get the mags to work. I shot a match and it worked flawless. I went back in after to finish the blending. Lots of filing, grinding, sanding and polishing. I think it came out pretty good.

It's a quality magwell....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fitted a fusion firearms magwell to my RIA 1911 and it works great as well, ecept I don't like that it's a 2pc design. I also don't like how pointy the one piece magwells make the butt of the gun, at least the ones that I have seen, but I bet that could be fixed with a hand file and some elbow grease...

Does anybody make a magwell like the one I described? I just did a Google search and can't find any...

I also plan on modding this gun to my liking, just like I do to every 1911 that I purchase. First is the Hiviz overmolded front sight, then I'm going to replace the full length guide rod for a GI length, then I'm swapping the ambi safety to a Wilson single sided wide safety, then I'll replace the grips with a set of magwell cut g10 grips, then a 1 piece magwell, and if I end up not liking the target sights, I'll swap them for a set of fixed Harrison LPA 3 dot night sights, then after all of this, I am going to replace the bushing and spring plug for the thick kinds.

I'm taking tons of overtime at my regular armed security job to pay for the SAL9T. 4 hours extra a day to be exact, Mr sleepy head couldn't have gotten caught sleeping on the job at a better time for me.... That sounded so evil lol

G38xOC
02-04-2016, 7:17 PM
Bro had same model in 9mm too . it was most accurate 9mm I ever shot . CZ 9mm forgot the model came very close too

soulbyte
02-04-2016, 7:54 PM
With the new 9mm 1911 LT models there's something different about them. Thats all I'm gonna post.

Ok now you gotta explain.

spencerk
02-04-2016, 8:17 PM
Ok now you gotta explain.

Agreed...

Spartan301
02-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Congrats OP!
I put one of these on layaway at Turner's three weeks back, they were out of stock. I was told as soon as they get more from SA, they would contact me!
Can't wait!

jhmc2000
02-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Turners had 5 in the warehouse yesterday.........9 days to go for me.

soulbyte
02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
They had 8 when I went there yesterday during my lunch break then 7 when I left :)

spencerk
02-05-2016, 3:22 PM
I love seeing that other people are clambering to buy the same gun as me... I also have a surprise ppt happening on Sunday for another 1911 so stay tuned... Here's a hint it's an off roster rock and it's small

Bralowe
02-05-2016, 8:48 PM
Dis.con.tin.ued
ˌdiskənˈtinyo͞od/
adjective

Is this pistol still available from SA? It seems that it is.

spencerk
02-05-2016, 8:53 PM
Is this pistol still available from SA? It seems that it is.

Lol it's been talked about many times on the forums now. Batches are made for specific distributors/shops specifically for CA kind of as a favor because this model is one of 2 1911's on the CA roster and discontinuing the product completely would be a real blow to the roster.

Bralowe
02-05-2016, 9:04 PM
Lol it's been talked about many times on the forums now. Batches are made for specific distributors/shops specifically for CA kind of as a favor because this model is one of 2 1911's on the CA roster and discontinuing the product completely would be a real blow to the roster.

That is what I thought.

Good purchase OP!

Cypriss32
02-05-2016, 9:40 PM
I just picked one of these up. Its very nice, I am happy with it.

jrara
02-05-2016, 9:50 PM
For People in the SF Bay Area, Coyote Point Armory in Burlingame has one in Stock.

midvalleyshooter
02-05-2016, 10:18 PM

SA just has to put on an ambi safety and change the grips on a stainless 9mm Range Officer and BOOM, Loaded 9mm 1911---> http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-9mm/

Plus it is still on the website---> http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-9mm/

jrara
02-05-2016, 10:27 PM
SA just has to put on an ambi safety and change the grips on a stainless 9mm Range Officer and BOOM, Loaded 9mm 1911---> http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-9mm/

Plus it is still on the website---> http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-loaded-9mm/

Add the Front Cocking Serrations also.

spencerk
02-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Well I. Gonna go bite the bullet and Dros my new 1911 tomorrow... I pulled a huge amount of overtime in the last week so I think putting the gun on layaway was unnecessary... Should have just dros'd it...

Then Sunday I'm going to do a lot for another RIA... This is going to be a great weekend...

keenkeen
02-06-2016, 5:37 AM

Add the Front Cocking Serrations also.

And change the barrel...

...and the guide rod/plug setup IIRC.

soulbyte
02-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Don't forget the front FO sight too! As soon as I get mine it's getting a Dawson precision front.

spencerk
02-07-2016, 2:02 PM
Dros'd my Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm target today and I dros'd a RIA 2011 cs which is the full rail/dust cover officers 1911 and is apparently vaporware. Not too many of those floating around... I plan to use the frame to make a CCO style 1911 using a fusion firearms slab slide commander length slide. Having the short grip with a flashlight may make for a good night time EP duty gun...
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/spencerkohl/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_02_zpsgdoxd3rq.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/spencerkohl/media/Mobile%20Uploads/imagejpeg_02_zpsgdoxd3rq.jpg.html)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/spencerkohl/Mobile%20Uploads/20160207_104652_zpsnwwcnm0i.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/spencerkohl/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160207_104652_zpsnwwcnm0i.jpg.html)