PDA

View Full Version : Russell Powell

SteveH
08-15-2008, 2:48 PM
Torrance weapons case postponed
By Denise Nix on August 14, 2008 2:15 PM
Russell Powell, arrested three times for what can only be described as a "butt load" of weapons found at his Tomlee Avenue home in Torrance, was supposed to have a preliminary hearing today in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom. It was postponed until Sept. 9

Powell, 36, had made bail twice when he was arrested again in April, according to previous reports. He was being held on $750,000 bail after his last arrest, but it's not clear from the Sheriff's Web site how much money - if any - he posted before being released on Aug. 2.

Rifles, assault weapons, and handguns were among the weapons found at his home, along with drugs and related paraphernalia, police have said. He was also named in a recent article about a large-scale methamphetamine crackdown by Torrance police.

Powell has said he is a collector and owned the weapons legally.

N_S
08-17-2008, 10:31 PM
So they arrested this guy because he had a lot of guns?
That won't hold up in court.

But what about the drug charges?

sorensen440
08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
The drug charges may totally screw him over

Rumpled
08-18-2008, 1:07 AM
"butt load" - what kinda press/blog reported that?

Foghlai
08-18-2008, 1:02 PM
Am I correct to believe that if he is found guilty on even one drug related charge he will lose his enitre collection of firearms, legally owned or not?

bwiese
08-18-2008, 1:52 PM
Am I correct to believe that if he is found guilty on even one drug related charge he will lose his enitre collection of firearms, legally owned or not?

I'm betting likely drug charges are felonies.

Felony conviction = no guns.

He may be ordered to dispose of his guns thru dealer (i.e, not seized)

[There is a chance for restoration of gun rights if charges were wobblers and a if a 17(b) motion some time after the conviction recast charges to misdemeanors, but in a case like this it's a bit improbable.]

In addition, the combo of "guns + drugs" can escalate charges, esp if trafficking involved.

SteveH
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Anyone with access to public LA county court record know the disposition of this case?

Turbinator
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Trust he wasn't one of ours? (Calguns member?)

Turby