View Full Version : Rem 870 Rattle

08-14-2008, 4:27 PM
Last week I put 50 general purpose shells through my 870. In total it probably has 200 rounds through it. Now I hear a funny noise whenver I tip it upside down and right side up. It sounds like a piece of spring is running up and down the mag tube or barrel. I took the shotgun apart and could not find a loose piece. It seems like it makes the noise more so after I rack the slide. Funny thing is I still heard it after the barrel, mag tube, and forend was removed. It was as though it was in the stock. I didnt take the stock off since I wasn't sure how. The shot gun seemed to feed fine with snap caps. Anyone have this issue with your 870?

08-14-2008, 5:19 PM
Not exactly sure what it might be. But the bolt in an 870 freely floats with some play on top of the carrier, which rests on and between the slide rods. There is almost always some noise coming from the bolt/carrier because of this.

08-14-2008, 5:30 PM
Its probably in the stock. The exact same thing happened to me when i took my 870 apart when I painted it. There was a little lock washer that didnt get seated right when I put it back together. The way it sits in there im pretty sure you are having the same problem. To get the stock off its easy. Get a phillips head screwdriver and push it through the 2 small holes in the rubber butt pad. You will feel it slip into the screw head. Be sure to push hard and not strip the screws. They should come out easily. Then you will need a big flat head screwdriver to take out the long bolt that holds the stock to the receiver.

08-14-2008, 5:42 PM
I'll give that a try. I'll finally get to use my extra long screwdrive I bought for my Enfield.

Utha Schleigle
08-14-2008, 7:21 PM
Also you may have the dowel in the magazine tube still. Most pumps come with a dowel to limit it to 3 or 5 rounds for hunting.

My mosserb made the same sound with the dowel.

08-14-2008, 8:44 PM
Sounds like a case of the dowel still in the mag tube.

08-15-2008, 6:41 PM
I took off the stock and it looks like it was a washer that holds the other two washers at the end of the really long screw. That little washer looks like it was running up and down the stock screw. I put a little piece of duct tape to keep it from sliding down.