PDA

View Full Version : An example without having the 2nd amendment

MrBig
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/13/mexico.kidnappings/index.html

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- Pedro Galindo says when his kidnappers chopped off one of his fingers the pain was excruciating -- that he felt every second of the process.

"They injected an anesthetic but didn't wait long enough for it to take effect," he says. "The next week, their boss came to me and said, 'Your family still doesn't want to pay ransom, so we have to send them another one.' "

Pedro's wife, Maria Elena Morera, still shudders when she recalls being told where she could find her husband's severed finger. She was told to pick it up on the side of the road in an envelope.

"I felt my heart just ripped open," she says. "I can't describe the anguish I felt imagining Pedro's suffering." VideoWatch snatchings off the street in broad daylight

Pedro was rescued by federal agent from his kidnappers after 29 days, but not before three more fingers were chopped off at the knuckles. Seven years later, he and his wife devote their time to Mexicans United Against Crime, a citizen's group that tries to pressure the Mexican government into doing more to stop kidnappings.

The group organized a march of tens of thousands of people in Mexico City in 2004 to protest the lack of security and is leading the charge again this year. It also provides moral support and advice to families whose loved ones have been kidnapped.

Mexico has seen an unprecedented level of kidnappings this year, prompting outrage among residents and demands for the government to crack down, even if it means going after police thought to be carrying out some of the kidnappings.

According to the Mexico City prosecutor's office, kidnappings rose 76 percent in the first four months of the year compared to last year. Mexicans United Against Crime, citing police figures, says there were 789 kidnappings in 2007.

Authorities think the real figures may be even greater because victims won't report crimes to a police force they don't trust. Experts say the rise is also a result of the perceived sense that crimes go unpunished here.

"Violence will keep increasing to the extent that [Mexican law enforcement] doesn't take away the attraction of committing a crime," says Eduardo Buscaglia, a security consultant in the region.

The tipping point to the kidnappings was the snatching in plain daylight of 14-year-old Fernando Marti, the son of a prominent businessman. He was grabbed from a car on a busy street at a fake police checkpoint. The next day, his chauffeur and bodyguard were found bound and strangled in the trunk of a car. Next to their bodies, police found a yellow chrysanthemum, a calling card from a gang that calls itself the Band of Flowers.

Some investigators think the flower was a coded message to police telling them not to investigate too closely, that the kidnappers are police, too.

But there was no sign of the boy. His family hired a private investigator and paid a ransom reportedly in the millions. Then, two weeks ago, the teen's decomposed and bullet-ridden body was found stuffed in the trunk of a car.

Two police officers and one civilian have been taken into custody, accused of involvement in the kidnapping and killing.

"The media and society as a whole has finally recognized that there is a problem," says Juan Francisco Torres Landa, an attorney with Mexicans United Against Crime. "We can't tolerate any more of this level of impunity and criminal activities."

He says the government only effectively prosecutes one or two crimes out of 100, so the message to organized crime is: "It really pays to commit crimes."

In recent days, tens of thousands of citizens have begun rallying on the Internet, urging for protests to be carried out against the government on September 6 in multiple cities.

"It's criminals who should be afraid. It's the bad politicians who should be afraid. It's the judges who set these MURDERERS free, the ones who should be afraid. It's the corrupt police officers who should be afraid. NOT US," one user wrote on a Facebook page that calls for the rally.

"We want a specific political accord between the president and all 32 governors of Mexico to commit to reducing the rates of kidnapping in Mexico," said Maria Elena Galindo of Mexicans United Against Crime.

Federal and city prosecutors on Monday announced the creation of a special nationwide task force to deal with kidnappings.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon called for life sentences for police officers involved in kidnappings. Mexico City's mayor said a $10 million reward fund has been established in which citizens who provide information that leads to an arrest can receive up to $50,000. The mayor's office also said it will scrap its old detective unit for a new investigative branch.

Some say the government's effort falls far short.

"The state is not dismantling organized crime groups through the confiscation of assets, freezing of assets of the financial intelligence unit and is not cooperating with police and prosecutors effectively," says Buscaglia, the security consultant.

One college student, who spoke to CNN on condition of anonymity for fear of being killed, said two police cars recently blocked his path as he drove home from a party. He says some men tried to grab him from his car, but he escaped. The incident took place not long after his brother had been abducted and held for several weeks.

Pedro Galindo says he will never give up the fight -- that he knows firsthand what it was like to be kidnapped. In his case, his kidnappers were eventually captured, but he says it took years for justice.

"I feel very angry," he says of the current crisis, "because nothing much has been done. Every day there are more and more kidnappings, and everybody is affected."

steadyrock
08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Sure hope we don't finish that border fence soon. I'd really hate to pay more for lettuce!

</sarc>

MrBig
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
What I find interesting is how the government will "fix" the problems within its own police.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon called for life sentences for police officers involved in kidnappings. Mexico City's mayor said a $10 million reward fund has been established in which citizens who provide information that leads to an arrest can receive up to $50,000. The mayor's office also said it will scrap its old detective unit for a new investigative branch.

A life sentence means that the guy will get out. The 10 million comes from taking money from people and not contributing back to their economy. Also I think the mayor is the problem and not the old detective unit.

The best way for people is to arm themselves and protect themselves in these situations. Yet people still deny firearms and embrace the corrupt government as the solution. I can see California heading this way because of our senators....

Ironchef
08-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't get how this story relates to not having a 2A in mexico?

OT, our firm recently had a security expert come to all our offices to explain the ins and outs of personal security. He's the founder of Crucible, now owned by some other contractor. Among one of the things he taught was about flying internationally and airports. He explained that in Airports, in Columbia and Mexico especially, 1 in 4 business men are kidnapped and held at ransom...he mentioned that most notable firms all have K&R insurance..so there's money in kidnapping. I didn't see any support for that number, but I'm sure the rate is high. He explained that a common rouse is for kidnappers to look for cheuffers with signs, copy them and stand strategically so the victim will notice his sign, not the legit driver's sign. For this, he said to use a symbol or some other graphic on a sign instead of name, business, etc. Or better yet, get a picture of your driver and memorize it and find him.

The instructor told of one trip to Bogota where he was being picked up and he say his driver's sign that said "Major [his name], US Marines Counter Intelligence..something something" despite having told the car service to use a triangle among other shapes on a sign. He walked right passed his driver and took a cab to a different hotel then what was designated. lol

steadyrock
08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I can see California heading this way because of our senators....

And our mayors, and our councilmen/women, and our assembly, and our Governor, and our... They won't stop until it's Aztlan again, or at least as close as they can make it. They'll arm the criminals (by licensing the illegals so they can buy guns legally and not investigating gang crimes) and disarm the citizens (no need to rehash how that's being done) until we find ourselves in a third world situation where the local governments are bonded to violent criminal organizations, just like in Mexico. It's a play for power, and those in office throughout the state (but especially Sacramento) don't even blink at the idea of selling out the citizens in order to create a voting class of criminals who can keep them in power. :chris: :TFH:

BTW welcome to the forum. Great avatar! :)

MrBig
08-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't get how this story relates to not having a 2A in mexico?

OT, our firm recently had a security expert come to all our offices to explain the ins and outs of personal security. He's the founder of Crucible, now owned by some other contractor. Among one of the things he taught was about flying internationally and airports. He explained that in Airports, in Columbia and Mexico especially, 1 in 4 business men are kidnapped and held at ransom...he mentioned that most notable firms all have K&R insurance..so there's money in kidnapping. I didn't see any support for that number, but I'm sure the rate is high. He explained that a common rouse is for kidnappers to look for cheuffers with signs, copy them and stand strategically so the victim will notice his sign, not the legit driver's sign. For this, he said to use a symbol or some other graphic on a sign instead of name, business, etc. Or better yet, get a picture of your driver and memorize it and find him.

The instructor told of one trip to Bogota where he was being picked up and he say his driver's sign that said "Major [his name], US Marines Counter Intelligence..something something" despite having told the car service to use a triangle among other shapes on a sign. He walked right passed his driver and took a cab to a different hotel then what was designated. lol

I am saying that this article is an example where CA can lead to and where people cannot be armed at all to defend themselves. I can see those kinds of laws staying in place if crime gets out of control in CA.

nicki
08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Check out the movie Man on Fire, the story line deals with this very subject.

Like it or not, what happens in Mexico impacts us. Mexico's internal problems have created a anti investment climate which limits jobs and is a reason why so many people come here illegally.

Mexico's problems don't stop at our border, they directly and indirectly effect all of us, so although I feel a foreign policy on non intervention is best, Mexico's internal problems have spread into our country that we have to take action.

Mexico's problems not only threaten our second amendment rights, they also threaten the rest of them as well.

A country where only criminals and cops have guns and where they have a societal policy of victim disarmenent(VD) and where many cops are working for organized crime organizations is a country that won't last.

I guess many of us can thank God that we weren't born south of the border.

Nicki

nicki
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Quote:

I think a better solution would be to have these cops meet with the relatives of the kidnapping victims and let them extract justice by whatever means they feel is appropriate.

Corrupt cops are not just limited to Mexico by the way. See the movie "American Gangster", based on real events in NY City, another place where we have 'gun control".

Nicki

M. Sage
08-13-2008, 1:18 PM
A country where only criminals and cops have guns and where they have a societal policy of victim disarmenent(VD) and where many cops are working for organized crime organizations is a country that won't last.

There's often not much if any distinction between cops and criminals down in Mexico. I worked with a guy who had grown up down there, and his family was still down there. He would drive down every Christmas to visit them, and ever single year, he'd bring a stack of cash, easily $200+. I asked him what it was for, and he explained that it was for the inevitable shake-downs. If you don't pay the cop off, bad things can (and do) happen.

HeyZeus
08-13-2008, 1:43 PM
From what i have heard some of this is creeping across our borders. Also, many of the kidnappers supposedly live in the states in border towns. I try and find the info. It is kept mostly under wraps.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-01-11-smuggler-kidnappings_N.htm

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/29/america/NA-GEN-US-Kidnapping-Ring.php

http://www.hispanictips.com/2007/07/26/three-charged-mexican-style-kidnapping-ring-houston/

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N12502566.htm

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0812/p99s01-duts.html

http://mexidata.info/id1851.html

08-13-2008, 2:50 PM
Sure hope we don't finish that border fence soon. I'd really hate to pay more for lettuce!

</sarc>

:smilielol5:

Theseus
08-13-2008, 8:49 PM
Check out the movie Man on Fire, the story line deals with this very subject.
Nicki

I have that movie. It is a good one. Quite possibly Denzel Washingtons' best?

I am sure we can all agree that in actuality the US will never get as bad as Mexico. Our country was founded by a set of ideals that many of our families have fought for, and we will not let it slip without fighting for it as well.

Although things are bad here, they can get, and probably will, worst. To take this country back we will as a population have to remember and learn the spirit that this country was founded from.

gazzavc
08-13-2008, 10:53 PM
What to stop them grabbing kids from affluent neighbourhoods and holding them to ransom next ??

These people are a blighted plague upon society and need to be expunged.

Bring back crucifixion I say. Nail 'em up and nail some sense into 'em........