PDA

View Full Version : Moster Salmon Season Coming!!!

WhoDat
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
God, I hope they're right... anyone see this in the Chronicle Sunday?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=002&sc=984

Signs point to monster return for salmon

(08-09) 17:07 PDT -- An 80-pound salmon caught off Rivers Inlet this past week crowned a siege of some of the biggest salmon taken off British Columbia in years. The news could mean great things for the Bay Area coast in the future.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/08/07/sp-outdoors10_ph_0498893080.jpg

On the same morning the 80-pounder was caught, an angler on a nearby boat caught a 71-pounder. At least one 50-pound salmon has been caught every day this week out of Rivers Inlet Resort, according to Ron Shapland, co-owner of the resort. "The fish this season are unbelievably huge."

The story of the decline in salmon populations on the Pacific Coast is well documented, but there's a surprise twist this summer. Scientists blamed the fall of salmon stocks primarily on a lack of marine food production, which has also affected the population of some marine birds. This was the result of a change in wind patterns across the ocean that caused poor upwelling and lack of plankton and krill.

But this spring and early summer, powerful winds out of the northwest returned, and with it, upwelling jump-started the marine food chain.

With plenty of food again in the ocean, yet far fewer adult salmon this summer, the fish that are out there are gorging and getting huge.

That is why what is happening now off Canada could presage huge fish in future years along the Bay Area coast. This summer, DFG released more 20.2 million smolts in San Pablo Bay to bypass water diversions and help the fish reach the ocean, and with rich feed conditions, those salmon could grow more than a pound per month. That is why I predict we'll have more than 1 million salmon in the 20 to 25-pound range in the summer of 2010 off the Bay Area coast, with a sprinkling of monsters.

"It's hard to believe how big the salmon are up here right now," said field scout John Beath, who reported the story from Canada and set a line-class world record for landing a 51-pound salmon on 6-pound line. "Seriously, the average salmon at Rivers Inlet is 40 pounds and up, and there's 50, 60 and 70-pounders."
com.

5150Marcelo
08-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I would love to try Salmon fishing, but...
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn173/5150Marcelo/giantmagbayyellowfintuna.jpg
giant yellowfin tuna has my heart! Maybe someday.

Thrillbilly
08-12-2008, 1:30 PM
We even had one of the best years as far as numbers up here. The Steelhead numbers are up as well.

ThatFishGuy
08-12-2008, 1:48 PM
Isnt the salmon season closed in Ca? I know 2 posters arent in Ca, but im just saying. I was really pi$$ed off because I was planing a nice trip, but no go. Hope its good everywhere else. The most frustrating thing is that researchers at my school (UC Davis) were largely responsible for closing the season.... c'mon guys?!?!

WhoDat
08-12-2008, 1:54 PM
Yeah, it's closed this year.

But the hope is that they'll be back in-force soon...

Many are speculating that we'll have 4-5yr old returners.... MONSTERS!!!!!!!!

Nice fish, Marcelo!

5150Marcelo
08-12-2008, 1:57 PM
Grassyass! Is that you with the Salmon?

CACitUP
08-12-2008, 4:32 PM
Just cuz its raining in BC doesnt mean the drought is over here.

Dont expect a California Salmon rebound any time soon. The Klamath kills have had a devastating impact on the Salmon population, and when combined with the issues caused by the diversion of delta water and the creation of smolt chum its gonna be a while before the populations rebound (if ever). Its looking so bleak I sold my offshore runner this year after 12 years to pursue other interests. That wasnt easy.

Fortunately Coastal Steelhead has been rockin the last few years and the drift boat keeps getting river hours....

Full Clip
08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Beautiful yellowtail.
Man, I'd hire a sushi chef to supply me with endless sashimi on that...

5150Marcelo
08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Beautiful yellowfin tuna.
Man, I'd hire a sushi chef to supply me with endless sashimi on that...

Fixed it for ya!:D

G-Man WC
08-12-2008, 10:47 PM
The problem with the salmon decline is the increased amount of water being sent to So.Cal from the Sacramento river that flows into our local SF Bay / Delta! I can say that sturgon and halibut fishing this year is on fire. Expect salmon season to be closed again next year also. Many, many people have lost there boats and way to make a living. We need to find better places to grow fruits, vegi's, and nuts than in the desert of So.Cal. Rant over and no disrespect to So.Cal Calgunners. My beef is with Arnold. -g

aplinker
08-13-2008, 4:01 PM
This is why it's closed... it dropped a huge amount last year. I'm glad we had the foresight to lay off for a bit.

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/15/20/816-3W16SALMON.xlgraphic.prod_affiliate.4.gif

Lee F. Smith
08-13-2008, 6:16 PM
The problem with the salmon decline is the increased amount of water being sent to So.Cal from the Sacramento river that flows into our local SF Bay / Delta! I can say that sturgon and halibut fishing this year is on fire. Expect salmon season to be closed again next year also. Many, many people have lost there boats and way to make a living. We need to find better places to grow fruits, vegi's, and nuts than in the desert of So.Cal. Rant over and no disrespect to So.Cal Calgunners. My beef is with Arnold. -g

I second this motion...

JPolito830
08-14-2008, 6:16 AM
I would love to catch something close to those pics...I would be able to eat for 2 years.