PDA

View Full Version : Read this!! Ammo registration sweep!!

truthseeker
08-12-2008, 1:06 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/1151466.html

Sacramento police have seized 56 guns and more than 800 rounds of ammunition from criminals over the past year through an ordinance that tracks ammunition sales, officials said today.

The ordinance, passed in July 2007, requires city gun dealers to enter into a Web site information about people who purchase ammunition. The Police Department tracks the sales and then arrests people who are prohibited from owning guns, including felons.

City Councilmember Kevin McCarty, who sponsored the ordinance last year, said the results show "we've made our neighborhoods a little safer."

City police seized guns ranging from 50-year-old rifles to a high-powered shotgun labeled a "destructive device" by the federal government, police said. In the past year, 53 people have been charged with felonies related to the seizures.

Of the 74 people who illegally purchased the ammunition, 84 percent had felony convictions, 11 were second-strikers and five were gang members, police said.

City officials said the National Rifle Association has threatened to sue the city over the ordinance, claiming it violates the Second Amendment. City Attorney Eileen Teichert said she was confident the city could defend that litigation.

"We believe this ordinance has accomplished its goal thus far of making Sacramento a safer place," Teichert said.

Anthonysmanifesto
08-12-2008, 1:20 PM
this article is to coincide with the official police report on on the ammo ordinance- which will be presented today- calgunners will be present to oppose the tactics being used. there also seems to be some irregularities in the process and our allies and the right people will be exploring that soon.
'
here is the official police report

http://sacramento.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=8&event_id=32&meta_id=154805

watch the city council meeting here

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/clerk/council-agendas/

Adonlude
08-12-2008, 1:36 PM
high-powered shotgun labeled a "destructive device"

Haha. So somebody sawed the barrel off a crapy old 12ga? The way they say these things you'd think they pulled a full-auto grenade launcher off the streets.

RRALAR15
08-12-2008, 1:45 PM
Haha. So somebody sawed the barrel off a crapy old 12ga? The way they say these things you'd think they pulled a full-auto grenade launcher off the streets.

naw they found a Cobray SWD Ladies Home Companion Unofficially called the Mini-streetsweeper

WokMaster1
08-12-2008, 1:48 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/1151466.html

Sacramento police have seized 56 guns and more than 800 rounds of ammunition from criminals over the past year through an ordinance that tracks ammunition sales, officials said today.

The ordinance, passed in July 2007, requires city gun dealers to enter into a Web site information about people who purchase ammunition. The Police Department tracks the sales and then arrests people who are prohibited from owning guns, including felons.

City Councilmember Kevin McCarty, who sponsored the ordinance last year, said the results show "we've made our neighborhoods a little safer."

City police seized guns ranging from 50-year-old rifles to a high-powered shotgun labeled a "destructive device" by the federal government, police said. In the past year, 53 people have been charged with felonies related to the seizures.

Of the 74 people who illegally purchased the ammunition, 84 percent had felony convictions, 11 were second-strikers and five were gang members, police said.
City officials said the National Rifle Association has threatened to sue the city over the ordinance, claiming it violates the Second Amendment. City Attorney Eileen Teichert said she was confident the city could defend that litigation.

"We believe this ordinance has accomplished its goal thus far of making Sacramento a safer place," Teichert said.

are there any facts to back up what she claims? Or is she just spewing dirt out of her a#us?

Ding126
08-12-2008, 2:22 PM
Pssst! Hey buddy, Can you buy me a box of 9mm?

What areas are these in SAC? I purchased ammo at wally world ( Antelope Bvd ) and no one asked me for ID Is that not considered Sac County?

All though I am happy some felons are off the street and some illegal & stolen weapons are recovered..Where does it end?? Somewhere in here is a violation to peoples rights.

Next you have to provide ID to purchase fuel so the PD can arrest you for a suspended license? or prevent you from purchase because you have an unpaid parking ticket, back taxes or child support.

The age of technology is scary

smogcity
08-12-2008, 2:31 PM
:sarcasm:Maybe Sacramento can require Picture ID and fingerprinting on any purchases of the Koran. This will surely result in the arrest of Muslim extremist. Perhaps they can make supermarkets store beans and rice behind the counter and require ID to purchase, that will surely result in the arrest of illegal immigrants. Hey, itís for the children!:rolleyes:

sorensen440
08-12-2008, 2:47 PM
My god !! 800 rnds of ammunition
Thats like a weekend's worth

Librarian
08-12-2008, 2:59 PM

What areas are these in SAC? I purchased ammo at wally world ( Antelope Bvd ) and no one asked me for ID Is that no considered Sac County?

It's an ordinance for the city of Sacramento. And Walmart at 5821 Antelope Rd thinks it's in the city, so I dunno what happened.

Anthonysmanifesto
08-12-2008, 3:17 PM
Councilwoman Lauren Hamond is demanding to know the ethnic identity of all those persons used as leads based on the ammo ordinance.

this is very interesting.

A very brave witness stepped forward to share his story to the council about how the ammo ordinance was used to profile him

More later.

deleted by PC police
08-12-2008, 3:39 PM
That walmart is in Sacramento CountyIt's an ordinance for the city of Sacramento. And Walmart at 5821 Antelope Rd thinks it's in the city, so I dunno what happened.

jammer2k
08-12-2008, 3:55 PM
Yep, ever since that ordinace went through I have not bought any ammo in Sac City. As much as I like RCGE, I refuse to support the city and their severely misguided efforts.

halifax
08-12-2008, 4:30 PM
Wasn't there a thread on here a while back from a calgunner that had a detective leave a note on his door to call ASAP? I believe he had just purchased ammo in sac. Seems more like a fishing expedition. Visit ammo buyers and see what you can find.

JHC
08-12-2008, 4:30 PM
One more reason I get my ammo from Sportsmans Wharehouse up in Rocklinand Ammoman online

DB2
08-12-2008, 4:54 PM
They had this on the news last night.

http://cbs13.com/local/ammo.ordinance.sacramento.2.793076.html

I love the spin. No one ever mentions how it throws flags at law abiding citizens. Just like any other gun law.

bohoki
08-12-2008, 5:02 PM

Next you have to provide ID to purchase fuel so the PD can arrest you for a suspended license? or prevent you from purchase because you have an unpaid parking ticket, back taxes or child support.

The age of technology is scary

i would be in favor of having to run a drivers licence to purchase motor fuel and have that tied to make sure the car is insured too

too many unlicenced uninsured drivers

762cavalier
08-12-2008, 5:46 PM
a high-powered shotgun

I'm still working this one out. what exactly is a high powered shotgun?:eek:

Also looking at the police powerpoint presentation they say that 74 prohibited people bought ammo but only 51 people where arrested. and out of those 51 people only 11 were convicted of a felony and 8 received a misdemeanor conviction. Wow what a statistically small catch:rolleyes:

M. Sage
08-12-2008, 5:57 PM
I'm still working this one out. what exactly is a high powered shotgun?:eek:

Also looking at the police powerpoint presentation they say that 74 prohibited people bought ammo but only 51 people where arrested. and out of those 51 people only 11 were convicted of a felony and 8 received a misdemeanor conviction. Wow what a statistically small catch:rolleyes:

:confused: Ten gauge? Mossberg 835?

What I love is how small the number of violent offenders was. The majority had committed non-violent offenses...

alex00
08-12-2008, 6:30 PM
I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people, but this city ordinance seems like the wrong way to go about it. After a year they only had 74 people buy ammo and made 51 arrests? It seems like really small numbers for such a large invasion of privacy.

The most bothersome point to me, is that the City had to track ammo sales, instead of gun sales. They realize that these criminals are not obtaining firearms in a lawful manner, but you will never hear them admit that. I think a bigger deal should be made in the news about the fact that these criminals ignored the gun laws already in place. Just one more example of useless gun laws having no effect on criminals.

Perhaps a good protest to this would be to encourage all calgunners to buy ammo in Sac City, one box at a time. Flood the city with thousands of extra pages of ammo purchases. Imagine the fun we could have splitting each case into several individual purchases. The city would be looking at all these new ammo sales without any new "prohibited persons". Ammo sales up by 300% in Sacramento, while prohibited persons sales drops to next to nothing. Shove it right back in their gun grabbing faces.

jacques
08-12-2008, 7:06 PM
Something smells fishy with this. Now why would a felon go buy ammo, knowing that they are going to ask for ID etc. etc. and have a record of it. They must realize that this record is going to be a big red flag to go check them out to see if they have something to use this ammo in.

Or maybe they are just stupid?

I can say if I was a felon, and I had a gun, I certainly would not want a trace to my name that I am buying ammo. :confused:

RP1911
08-12-2008, 7:07 PM
It's de facto registration (read: develop a database of who presumably owns guns).

RP1911
08-12-2008, 7:09 PM
Something smells fishy with this. Now why would a felon go buy ammo, knowing that they are going to ask for ID etc. etc. and have a record of it. They must realize that this record is going to be a big red flag to go check them out to see if they have something to use this ammo in.

Or maybe they are just stupid?

I can say if I was a felon, and I had a gun, I certainly would not want a trace to my name that I am buying ammo. :confused:

Maybe ignorant of the law.

Ding126
08-12-2008, 7:10 PM
As stated by another poster. If the gun laws were effective, then why go after the ammo purchases? Hmm
Because the gun laws aren't working, criminals are still arming themselves and the only people paying the penalty is the LAW abiding people.

As for purchasing ammo in Sac city. I would prefer to keep my name off of any type of roster showing I buy ammo. I'm paranoid to think it could be used later on when the communists come marching down the street and knocking on doors.

Now that the bad guys are getting wise to Sac PD. they will just go out of town or on the net to buy ammo. It only works for a short time.

Ding126
08-12-2008, 7:11 PM
Psst! Hey buddy. I gots a dime bag of 9mm. 10 for 10

DarthSean
08-12-2008, 7:12 PM
Not much for Sacremento to brag about considering such a sweep would only bag the dumbest people who don't know how to find a straw dealer or a fake ID, leave the city/state, and a thumb print isn't completely idiot-proof either.

If plan to catch arms dealers and other seasoned criminals only yields a few retards, what does that say about the politicians mental competence?:D

Ding126
08-12-2008, 7:16 PM
Not much for Sacremento to brag about considering such a sweep would only bag the dumbest people who don't know how to find a straw dealer or a fake ID, leave the city/state, and a thumb print isn't completely idiot-proof either.

If plan to catch arms dealers and other seasoned criminals only yields a few retards, what does that say about the politicians mental competence?:D

++1

How much tax payers money was spent to get a couple of guns & ammo off the street? to process the arrested and only convict a handful. ( bronx cheer )

Anthonysmanifesto
08-12-2008, 7:50 PM
++1

How much tax payers money was spent to get a couple of guns & ammo off the street? to process the arrested and only convict a handful. ( bronx cheer )

hang tight

people are working on these and other questions.

tunder
08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
From the news article is the scary part.

But what stops criminals from crossing into a different county and buying ammunition there? "Aha! One city at a time," McCarty said.

Wouldn't that bound book be a tempting target for a burgler?

fullrearview
08-13-2008, 1:19 AM
wow.....the one time sacbee will EVER suport the police!

Mute
08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Couldn't this registration process be considered a violation of the 5th Amendment?

leitung
08-13-2008, 5:34 PM
It's an ordinance for the city of Sacramento. And Walmart at 5821 Antelope Rd thinks it's in the city, so I dunno what happened.

NO!!! IT'S IN THE COUNTY.. It's part of Antelope.. not Sac City..

leitung
08-13-2008, 5:34 PM
What they don't tell you is about all of the law abiding citizens that were harrassed by police and who were ordered without a warrant to surrender their firearms for ballistic testing, A DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE 4TH AMMENDMENT.

56 Guns.. wow and I still don't feel safe in South Sacramento.. Oh and, the gang bangers and other shady persons can just drive outside the city limits and buy ammo without submitting any info, oh and they can just get it from the guy they call "joe" down on the alley.

In my opinion, the govenment has no right and no business knowing what I buy.. They need to take the money from this useless program and use it to fight the real causes of crime and gun violence, and leave the law abiding citizens of Sacramento alone. How about taking the money to hire and train 100 new cops to patrol the city and clean up the streets instead of targeting the law abiding citizens with these hippie feel-good gun control laws which on paper to the average sheep sounds like a great idea, but really does very little to prevent crime or gun violence. Scrap this program and hire more cops, I bet you will see better results..

CHS
08-13-2008, 5:44 PM
i would be in favor of having to run a drivers licence to purchase motor fuel and have that tied to make sure the car is insured too

too many unlicenced uninsured drivers

If you're in favor of that, then I'm in favor of you having to register your firearms.

Too many unsafe firearms owners.

Librarian
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
NO!!! IT'S IN THE COUNTY.. It's part of Antelope.. not Sac City..
I absolutely believe you. It's just that the Walmart store locator sloppily lists 'Sacramento' as the city.

Walmart has a rep for being overly compliant with some kinds of laws. I'd hardly expect them to fail on this one if it actually applied to them.

leitung
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I absolutely believe you. It's just that the Walmart store locator sloppily lists 'Sacramento' as the city.

Walmart has a rep for being overly compliant with some kinds of laws. I'd hardly expect them to fail on this one if it actually applied to them.
I don't doubt it, it's amazing how paranoid some of the chain stores in California are. Big 5 with the 11day waiting period, Sportsmans warehouse wont sell OLL rifles, Wal-Mart with the ammo registration (if they are doing it)

But then you look at the little gun shops and they KNOW the law by heart. You would think the little shops would be more paranoid being that if their FFL gets yanked they lose everything, were as the chains just loose that part of their business..

Theseus
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people, but this city ordinance seems like the wrong way to go about it. After a year they only had 74 people buy ammo and made 51 arrests? It seems like really small numbers for such a large invasion of privacy.

The most bothersome point to me, is that the City had to track ammo sales, instead of gun sales. They realize that these criminals are not obtaining firearms in a lawful manner, but you will never hear them admit that. I think a bigger deal should be made in the news about the fact that these criminals ignored the gun laws already in place. Just one more example of useless gun laws having no effect on criminals.

Perhaps a good protest to this would be to encourage all calgunners to buy ammo in Sac City, one box at a time. Flood the city with thousands of extra pages of ammo purchases. Imagine the fun we could have splitting each case into several individual purchases. The city would be looking at all these new ammo sales without any new "prohibited persons". Ammo sales up by 300% in Sacramento, while prohibited persons sales drops to next to nothing. Shove it right back in their gun grabbing faces.

That sounds great, but then they will simply argue to raise the fee and increase sales tax to support the new efforts. They don't do these things to ACTUALLY reduce crime. . they do it to get more notice and money!!

jacques
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
That sounds great, but then they will simply argue to raise the fee and increase sales tax to support the new efforts. They don't do these things to ACTUALLY reduce crime. . they do it to get more notice and money!!

+1. It is all about the money. However, these legislatures don't care where the money comes from. They spend like there is a bottomless pit. Yes, they will just tax more to make up the difference.

domokun
08-14-2008, 12:12 AM
+1. It is all about the money. However, these legislatures don't care where the money comes from. They spend like there is a bottomless pit. Yes, they will just tax more to make up the difference.

Yep. If the police complain they're short staffed processing all those arrests and data from the information collected during the sale of ammunition they'll just ask the city council to find them a grant or additional funding from anywhere possible to put more warm bodies behind the desks to do the work. It's not where the money is coming from that they care about. It's more of how many bad guys are we catching in this stealthy dragnet that they've cast into the general public that will catch all the bad and good guys, family pets, sea tortoise and dolphin from the nearby aquarium that gets pulled into it.

As long as it makes the politicians look good and like they're doing their job, there's always a "bottomless" pile of money to fund such programs.