PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 28Ga. Skeet Grade

petcelman
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I just picked up a very nice Winchester model 12 28 guage pump Skeet Grade. Super nice and looks great. It is not a conversion. Can anyone give me an idea what I should insure it for?:D

tankerman
08-12-2008, 7:39 PM
Where'd you score that?

I got my brother his first shotgun earlier this year, M12 Skeet all original
%95+. He had no idea what he had...until he took it to the range and had the old folks mobbing him.

Depending on condition I would say your's is probably in the $5,000-7,000 range. I'm sure you already know that though.

parcours
08-12-2008, 8:24 PM
WOW....

If it's an original M12, not a repro (Browning or Winchester made in Japan) you have an absolute gem.... The $5K-$7K would be about right given condition, etc.

Given it's a skeet grade, does it have a pistol grip or english stock? What does the rib say? Is it marked Simmons or no marking at all.

How about posting a pic.

tunder
08-12-2008, 8:59 PM
Serial numbers by date-

http://www.mchenry-sc.org/Engineering/Model_12.htm

If it has a Y prefix it was made after 1963.

Here's one on Cabela's site. A bargain at $7,999.00

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/hamburg/win_sg/916801_winm12_ham.jsp?hierarchyId=11929&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon

petcelman
08-13-2008, 8:26 AM
I was told it is from the 40's although so far I can't prove it. It has the pistol grip type stock with the checkering. I'll post a pic tonight.
I guessed that it would come in at 7K or there abouts. It is pretty much perfect with no visible nicks, scratches or anything. The bluing is also perfect. I was fortunate to come across it.

TadyMan
08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
that gun is old and no good. just sell it to me because i like old crap. i have a nice 12 ga but i also have a nice model 42. i need a 20 ga and a 28 ga but cant afford one. if you dont mind me asking, how much did you spend on that 28 ga?

petcelman
08-15-2008, 4:49 AM
I finally did a number search and found that it has a 1940 manufacture date. There are no letters on the rib? Anyway it's just a cool gun. Thanks for the interest. I also picked up a model 12 trap 12 guage and a few others that I hope to investigate this next week.

tankerman
08-18-2008, 8:28 PM
Do me a favor and compare your Model 12 to another M12, see is any of your proof marks face a different direction than what's on the other gun. Flip the gun over and see if the carrier or any surrounding parts look aluminum.

petcelman
08-19-2008, 6:42 AM
Hi, I looked at the 28 guage and the 2 other model 12 12 guages that I have and do not see any differences in the placement of of numbers or anything else. All components appear to be steel. I used a magnet to be sure. I hope this info helps.

tankerman
08-19-2008, 1:40 PM
Was just curious. I mentioned your find to a friend of mine that collects M12's and he warned me about 28 bauge M12's that were "made" by him and a few others in the 80's (evidently the produced a couple of hundred). He said his had a single proof mark that was intentionally put on upside down so he could recognize his own work and the aluminum was used on one part they were having trouble getting made from steel.

TRAP55
08-19-2008, 5:13 PM
PICS!
Very nice find, and a rare one too!

petcelman
08-20-2008, 4:53 AM
Nope, this one was built in 1940.

petcelman
08-20-2008, 4:55 AM
Sure I'll post some pics ASAP. It's so nice!

tankerman
08-20-2008, 10:18 AM
They were made using 16 gauge Model 12's, so the serial numbers would be correct (even if it were a fake). Pull off the buttstock and look at the back of the receiver, most older M12's will have their correct (original) gauge stamped there (but not all). Also, the magazine follower must be steel to be correct.

petcelman
08-25-2008, 7:31 AM
Since I have had all this feedback regarding the authenticity of this shotgun, I contacted the folks that sold it to me. It has been in the family since WWII. He seemed ok and it's good to know. I haven't posted pics but I will tomorrow.

tankerman
08-25-2008, 9:23 AM
Just wanted you to be aware of some of the problems out there with regards to Model 12's. SoCal in particular was a hotbed for Colt and Winchester alterations in the 80's and 90's. The reason I know this is because a friend of mine was involved in these scams. There were about a 1/2 dozen different guys throughout SoCal doing this kind of work. Most California hardcore collectors know about this and know who the perpetrators are and can recognize their work.

Wanted you to know in case this gun came from an unkown third party so you could know what to look for, ensuring you got what you paid for.

Sounds like you are able to track the gun's history, which is a good thing.

Enjoy.

-hanko
08-25-2008, 8:23 PM
Since I have had all this feedback regarding the authenticity of this shotgun, I contacted the folks that sold it to me. It has been in the family since WWII. He seemed ok and it's good to know. I haven't posted pics but I will tomorrow.
I'd try contacting a Winchester collector's forum, sorry but I can't give you a link off the top of my head. Post the serial number if the gun has one. You'll get some expert and hopefully consistent answers. Butterfield's in SF is also very knowledgeable in ball-parking classic gun values.

I'd love to see the pictures; swmbo shoots a winchester .410 slide gun and misses VERY few birds, clay or the real kind.

-hanko

Thefeeder
08-29-2008, 6:00 PM
Just wanted you to be aware of some of the problems out there with regards to Model 12's. SoCal in particular was a hotbed for Colt and Winchester alterations in the 80's and 90's. The reason I know this is because a friend of mine was involved in these scams. There were about a 1/2 dozen different guys throughout SoCal doing this kind of work. Most California hardcore collectors know about this and know who the perpetrators are and can recognize their work.

Wanted you to know in case this gun came from an unkown third party so you could know what to look for, ensuring you got what you paid for.

Sounds like you are able to track the gun's history, which is a good thing.

Enjoy.

This a prefect example of a need for a "Collectors Thread"
Tankerman has shared is a wealth of information on this
M12......Thanks for sharing Tankerman