PDA

View Full Version : Lets see those Zone A Deer reports

RW Dunn
08-11-2008, 5:15 AM
Ok who nailed their buck and how you did it,wasn't able to hunt this weekend,due to going to the SF/LA game SF Giants won 4-5.

pieeater
08-11-2008, 7:32 PM
Stopped hunting it a few years ago. I used to hunt it pretty hard though since I was a kid.

JeffM
08-11-2008, 7:39 PM
Fish and Game was closed the only day I was able to go get a tag. Don't know if I'll get some time off for the rest of the season anyway.

I'm going to try to get some time off for B zone. We'll see.

reggie 00
08-11-2008, 7:40 PM
Going to go back up to D3 again this year.

Might do A next year.

JayDeeSacramento
08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
My dad works for the Forestry Dept. in the Sierra Madre mountains and said he saw only one buck taken. A small one (don't know the points) in Bates Canyon off Hwy 166.

I'm going out Friday on some private land near San Miguel and I'll post pics if I score.

LkPillsburyDude
08-12-2008, 5:01 PM
I heard a buck today when I was out hunting my property. It was probably 50 to 80 feet away. I didnt see it but I heard it crashing through the bushes and making that crazy wheezing sound, sort of like an elk. I didnt really know what to do, my dad never taught me how to hunt, only to fish, so Iv got a 99 dollar Mauser and am waiting to stumble upon one. Iv got the skinning and gutting part down, its the tracking part I dont understand. Today I just waited after hearing the wheezing noise and it left. This is A zonie by the way, near lake Sonoma.

lexluger
08-12-2008, 7:03 PM
I heard my cousin got an A zone buck on the ranch he is a member of. It is near lake San Antonio.

I hunted off Hwy 166 and saw a nice wide 3x2 taken by a guy that was camping near me.

Looks like I will be at it again this weekend.

westcoastr
08-13-2008, 5:01 AM
god willing, i'll get a free day to hunt a-zone before my x-zone trip in late sept. if not will try for a free day in b-zone later in the year. it really sucks whe you can't ever get away for a day.

i've got an a-zone honey hole but just need to get there!!!!!

BlueOvalBruin
08-13-2008, 8:21 AM
i've got an a-zone honey hole but just need to get there!!!!!

If you tell me where it is, I'll scout it for you :D

westcoastr
08-13-2008, 8:37 AM
be careful what you wish for. you'll be lucky to find a 100 lb forkie in an a-zone honey hole. plus this hike is at least five miles and may involve swimming a river if you want access to additional meadow areas.

actually, i am skeptical of getting free time to make it so I hooked up a new hunted friend of mine. if he is successful, it's all because of me, if he fails, it's all because he is new

westcoastr
08-13-2008, 8:40 AM
almost forgot, how about this for a kick in your you know what. my neighbor's father is a part owner in an coffee creek property (prime b-zone). AND HE DOESN'T HUNT. aaahhhhh. i've tried every way to get him to let me hunt it, no dice

napahunter
08-13-2008, 9:36 AM
I smoked a big forkie with eye guards this morning. It was on private land here in Napa. He was with 3 other bucks. What a great morning, wished i had someone there to help with the drag and cutup. All in the fridge ageing, and will bag and freeze in 7 days.

Jeff.
08-13-2008, 7:53 PM
D3 for me. We've got our cameras set out and are hoping for the best, but that doesn't say much considering I've got 3 X zone points still and no bucks from my years of hunting. It's CA guys, face it. I have. It's more about the drinking at camp and being with your buds than killing half your weight in deer, unfortunately. Good luck to you all.

Thank god for coyote hunting. :30:

Trapper
08-13-2008, 9:34 PM
I shot a forky last night that dressed out at 126lbs. He offered me a broad side shot at 136 yds with his head down feeding and I just couldn't pass it up. I saw a big 3x3 this evening moving through some brush but didn't have a clear shot. I'll post pictures as soon as I get home.

Ford8N
08-14-2008, 4:35 AM
Has anyone heard the F&G stopping and searching for lead. My sources tell me that F&G are not really doing anything this year, it's next year they will be really dropping the hammer.

JPolito830
08-14-2008, 6:15 AM
Nothing for me yet...Im going to try and take a few days off of work and head out next week, Im looking forward to it!

JayDeeSacramento
08-14-2008, 9:34 AM
Has anyone heard the F&G stopping and searching for lead. My sources tell me that F&G are not really doing anything this year, it's next year they will be really dropping the hammer.

That's what I heard...I also heard a lot of hunters were out with handguns and I know they all didn't have non lead ammo.

I'm going out tomorrow and I'm not going to chance it though.

guns_and_labs
08-14-2008, 5:10 PM
I'm headed out tomorrow, see if I can scare something up to start the season.

Trapper
08-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Thirty minutes before sunset I was moving slowly into the wind and saw a small forky feeding on a ridge a couple hundred yards away. A short move put him at 136yds and left me with a clear, broadside shot. I raised my savage 210 and sent 3/4oz slug just behind his shoulder, he was dead before he hit the ground. The barnes tipped expander is the most destructuve slug I've ever seen. It expanded to 1.085 and weighed 325gr with 99% weight retention. It broke both shoulders, two sets of ribs and lodged just under the hide, leaving tons of blood shot meat.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0445.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0449.jpg

JayDeeSacramento
08-17-2008, 12:55 PM
We went out on some private land near Parkfield.

I got my 2x1 on Friday Night about 100 yards away with my Remington 788 .243. Shot high and hit him in the upper shoulder. Had to finish him off with a pocket knife.

My dad got his 2x2 on Saturday night from about 80 yards away with his Springfield. .06. He shot it in the *** and we finished if off with a neck shot.

No pics available quite yet.

xcrunner805
08-17-2008, 1:39 PM
A zone Public Land in the Ventana Wilderness. Started hiking in at 2pm on Saturday (yesterday). Hiked in alone about 6 miles, steep *** climb to a ridge then hiked a couple miles till I spotted 5 does about 400+ yards away eating acorns out a tree. Watched them for awhile then I changed angles to see if there was anything in the meadow. Then I saw a forking horn amongst them. Took me about an hour to decide I was going to take this little guy, I was planning on going another 4-5 miles to get a monster buck I passed up last year. It was 6:30 pm , I snuck up on him to 150 yards, he stood up, began trotting. I whistled, he stopped, shot him broadside with my .308 . Fell after about 5 yards, where he rolled another 5-10 yards. Field dressed it, halfway hung him in a tree, skinned him and boned him out. Ruined about 10 lbs of meat because I punctured his stomach on accident. Put all the meat in plastic bags, packed about 35 lbs out another 6 miles back to the truck in pure darkness (had my LED though). Hopefully going to hunt D13 when it opens up.
It was late and dark by the time I was done boning him out so I never looked to see where the bullet was, it didn't exit though, but made a nice clean entrance shot. I used 150 grain Federal Premium Vital Shok loaded with Barnes copper bullet. Seemed to work pretty well, he went down fast. Don't know the weight but whatever, I'll get a bigger buck in D13 in a couple weeks.

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v318/118/71/6415831/n6415831_36007735_9469.jpg
My attempt at using a self timer on my camera, worked prett good on a log.
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v318/118/71/6415831/n6415831_36007737_115.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v318/118/71/6415831/n6415831_36007739_767.jpg

LkPillsburyDude
08-17-2008, 7:42 PM
Just got back from North Cow Mountain. There was NO one out hunting which was nice, but the range was full. No deer...

justincredible
08-18-2008, 3:52 PM
I went up to San Luis Res. sunday for pigs and ended up walking up on two bucks a 3x3 and forking horn, and 6 fawns and does with no deer tag:kest: oh well it was good to see there were at least two left, next time i'll be deer hunting and find pigs just my luck....you can bet i'll have my tag next time.

packnrat
08-18-2008, 6:59 PM
Thirty minutes before sunset I was moving slowly into the wind and saw a small forky feeding on a ridge a couple hundred yards away. A short move put him at 136yds and left me with a clear, broadside shot. I raised my savage 210 and sent 3/4oz slug just behind his shoulder, he was dead before he hit the ground. The barnes tipped expander is the most destructuve slug I've ever seen. It expanded to 1.085 and weighed 325gr with 99% weight retention. It broke both shoulders, two sets of ribs and lodged just under the hide, leaving tons of blood shot meat.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0445.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk256/Trapper_308/IMG_0449.jpg

small one...should have left him till next year.

xcrunner805
08-18-2008, 7:49 PM
I figured I'd shoot my forking horn just because it was a guaranteed buck if I strike out in D13. I didn't feel like going the extra couple miles to "maybe"? get a bigger one. Enough meat to last me a couple weeks. But yea I agree with you packnrat, sometimes it's good to pass a smaller one up. I had an itchy trigger finger though for mine.

cc93cruiser
08-18-2008, 8:01 PM
Heading towards A zone Mendecino County this weekend, I will let everyone know what's happening up there....Anyone else hunted up there lately?

Trapper
08-18-2008, 8:35 PM
I may not be able to take any more time off work durring the A zone season so I used my shotgun and filled one of my tags. I do wish my work schedule would have allowed me to spend more time looking for a larger buck.

guns_and_labs
08-26-2008, 3:06 PM
Went out last weekend, looking for something north of Middletown. Saw some sign, a few does and one tiny forkie. Decided to wait for B zone.

Then, on the walk out, a bunch of wild pigs broke out of the brush running towards me about 100 yards out. One .308 in the head of the largest one, and DRT!

About 70 pounds cleaned and skinned, female, but not nursing. Should be delicious.

Forgot to take pictures until I was done skinning -- and then it was too dark. Sorry.