PDA

View Full Version : Tristar O/U at Big5???

vinny_land
08-10-2008, 9:43 PM
So i was looking at the Big5 website and came across an O/U shotgun. This is the Tristar "Hunter".
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2566076&rapid=0&listingid=-2091240074&offerid=
Seems like a nice shotgun. Anyone know about this O/U? I've always thought break action shotguns have a nostalgic thing going on with them. A timeless classic imo. :rolleyes:

FEMUN
08-10-2008, 9:51 PM
you'll probly get more answers @ www.shotgunworld.com

bohoki
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
they look good from a distance i think they are from turkey

vinny_land
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Probably from Khan shotguns but under a different label.

3006mv
01-12-2009, 8:45 PM
Saw one the other day it looks pretty good, it is from
Turkey imported by Tristar North KC, MO. I believe the selector/safety allows you to choose which bbl fires first. It broke open pretty smoothly the metal to wood fit was okay, it was only $400. May consider buying one. I was told they use Beretta style choke tubes. I was looking at the 28" bbl 3" chamber one, I believe they make a 26"bbl one to. It looked chrome lined. I cannot tell what kind of ejectors they are, if they are positive eject or not.

vinny_land
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Wow this thread is kinda old. But oh well. Right now Im not really in the market for shotguns because I want to finish my AR (check out my sig). I am considering a Remington SPR310 or these Tristar ones.

RedDawn
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Saw one the other day it looks pretty good, it is from
Turkey imported by Tristar North KC, MO. I believe the selector/safety allows you to choose which bbl fires first. It broke open pretty smoothly the metal to wood fit was okay, it was only $400. May consider buying one. I was told they use Beretta style choke tubes. I was looking at the 28" bbl 3" chamber one, I believe they make a 26"bbl one to. It looked chrome lined. I cannot tell what kind of ejectors they are, if they are positive eject or not.

Range report please if you do decide to pucll the trigger on it. I've been looking for an inexpensive O/U for hunting. I scratched my Beretta Silver Pigeon's stock during last season's Chukar hunt.:TFH:

3006mv
04-02-2009, 8:24 PM
Well I bought one so now the 10 day wait, will post after I take it to the range. Got one on sale and 10% discount b/c floor model w/ some slight dent in forearm and lost bluing on receiver, I forgot to double check but I think I got a 26" one.

dondo
04-02-2009, 9:20 PM
Go to shotgunworld.com and you can read up on them there. Beware, most locals there hate Turkish O/U's however there were some favorable things written about them. I checked one out today at a gunshop in HB and it seemed nice enough for the price of $350.00. I think as long as you are not doing 10,000 rounds a year at the trap range you'll be aok. I personally have the REMINGTON SPR310 and it is a great gun. Its not a Beretta and its a little stiff opening and closing, but its stout and reliable. Plus me and my brother in law took it out for our first trap session and I shot a 23 and he shot a 24 with it.

3006mv
04-13-2009, 7:23 PM
So I got mine and shot it and like it a lot. Fit me well, points well, patterns good. Only problem is I had to return it b/c a crack appeared in the stock behind the trigger guard. It is a 28" bbl has 5 choke tubes and one wrench, it is not chrome lined and you have to pull the empties out to eject which is okay b/c I am starting to reload and I just drop them in my shell pouch instead of having to pick them up in the dirt. Big 5 was very good about a return/exchange and even paid for the next d.r.o.s. so another 10 day wait for me, bummer cuz I really liked the wood grain on the one I had to bring back, the distribution center is here in the I.E. I didn't get to see the one they area bringing in though. I think if Tristar had better shipping boxes they would have a lot less dented wood, the other one they had in the back of the store was worse than the one I got. The other option was to ship it to Tristar who offered to replace the buttstock and match the forearm which may take longer than the 10 day and being the cheap bastard that I am I did not want to have to deal with the hassle of shipping and receiving at my door.

Konnekery
11-08-2009, 9:42 PM
I've been hearing better and better reports about Tristar as the prices have been coming down. The wood seems to be the problem when there is a problem, but of the people who shot them, they seem to think they got good value at that particular price point. I'm considering a 20 guage myself.

wilit
11-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I've got an SPR310 here too. Great O/U for not a whole lot of cash. I bought a set of Trulock chokes which really make a difference. Also, I cut a few coils off of the ejector springs to make opening and closing the action much easier. Also, it doesn't launch the spent shells 12 feet any more.