PDA

View Full Version : Gun grabbing saboteur

Rickfifty
08-10-2008, 10:09 AM
After reading about the NRA mole, I got to thinking, what's to stop a gun grabbing group from enlisting an employee of a large chain(think Big 5) to start making small technical errors in the filling out of the paperwork? Might take a while for ATF(or DOJ, whoever) to catch it, or they could be tipped off.
I've heard of shops losing their license for small, inadvertant mistakes. Could a whole chain lose their license over this? The mole could be fired, but that seems like a small price for such a big prize.

Maybe I shouldn't be thinking out loud?:TFH:

bohoki
08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
i doubt that would happen because if it were ever discovered the federal firearms violation conspiracy charges would hit everybody involved

nobs11
08-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Big 5 employees are so incompetent that it does not require a master plan for them to lose their license. I am aware of at least two Big 5 locations that were audited and either ATF pulled their license or corporate decided that the heat was too much and stopped selling guns at those locations.

It is the gun store owners' responsibility to ensure that an employee keeps proper records. Gun stores have lost their licenses because employees messed up intentionally or through incompetence. It is in the gun dealers' interests to stay in business. If I were running a gun store, I would be first worried about my livelihood and then philosophical issues like rights, so I'd make sure that I don't hire someone I shouldn't and would check and re-check their background.

In other words, no need to get on the paranoia train.

BroncoBob
08-10-2008, 10:38 AM
The big 5 out where I live they have one main person handle all the paperwork. You can see why. Some poor fool making minimum wage filling out dros paperwork????? No way.

Pvt. Cowboy
08-11-2008, 12:02 AM
I think that an anti-gun activist might be risking quite a lot if they were caught doing that.

EastBayRidge
08-11-2008, 7:27 AM
That's a lot of effort and potential liability for a very small payoff.

Wulf
08-11-2008, 6:03 PM
If that were to happen, I'd guess the entire anti-gun.org infrastructure that put the person up to it would be an accessory, eligible for criminal charges. I'd also suspect that Big-5 or whoever would have gimmie of a follow on civil suit that could reach deep into the organization's pockets.

workinwifdakids
08-11-2008, 6:41 PM
After reading about the NRA mole, I got to thinking, what's to stop a gun grabbing group from enlisting an employee of a large chain(think Big 5) to start making small technical errors in the filling out of the paperwork?

Federal jail time?

Scotty
08-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Could a whole chain lose their license over this?

Do you see Walmart selling guns anymore in California? They made enough mistakes on their own to get their license yanked.

Guntech
08-12-2008, 11:38 AM
The big 5 out where I live they have one main person handle all the paperwork. You can see why. Some poor fool making minimum wage filling out dros paperwork????? No way.

My friend worked at Big 5 and their policy was if you educate yourself about guns on your spare time you can work the gun counter(you have to take a test on basic stuff you could learn from the movies). He already knew about guns and got to work the counter a couple months after he started working there.

vega
08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
My friend worked at Big 5 and their policy was if you educate yourself about guns on your spare time you can work the gun counter(you have to take a test on basic stuff you could learn from the movies). He already knew about guns and got to work the counter a couple months after he started working there.
Not true, you have to be at least an Asst. manager to do paper work. Part timers who are knowledgeable about firearms can show the firearms to customers but cannot do the paperwork.

dfletcher
08-12-2008, 1:37 PM
After reading about the NRA mole, I got to thinking, what's to stop a gun grabbing group from enlisting an employee of a large chain(think Big 5) to start making small technical errors in the filling out of the paperwork? Might take a while for ATF(or DOJ, whoever) to catch it, or they could be tipped off.
I've heard of shops losing their license for small, inadvertant mistakes. Could a whole chain lose their license over this? The mole could be fired, but that seems like a small price for such a big prize.

Maybe I shouldn't be thinking out loud?:TFH:

If any antigun group were to do that and it could be proved, the party injured (WalMart, Big 5, etc) would have a very strong civil case against the persons and organization(s) engaged in that activity. Keep in mind how hard Wendys went after the folks who dropped a human thumb in their chili, that I think would pale next to civil action taken by a business that sells guns. And keep in mind that a person making deliberate mistakes could make one which releases a gun to a prohibited person - that could certainly expand the civil case to include other parties and criminal proceedings. How would you like to be the organization promoting this sort of "sting" and find out that someone was injured or killed as a result of your mole's action?

Rickfifty
08-12-2008, 7:13 PM
Most of what I'm hearing is predicated on someone spilling the beans when they get caught and showing a conspiracy. I was thinking along the lines of the guy taking the fall alone. Or maybe just a person taking it upon themselves.
I do agree though, that if caught as a group, they'd be finished.

motorhead
08-12-2008, 7:38 PM
besides, they might have to touch a gun.