PDA

View Full Version : ar-10 mags - Can I buy in Nevada?

GMONEY
08-10-2008, 7:25 AM
Ok I will be in Reno/Tahoe in a few weeks and as just wondering if what I plan to do is ok... I want to purchase some 20 round ar-10 mags because obviously no mfg will ship them to CA. I will then dis-assemble them into parts and put them back together as 10/20's? Or by the same token can I have a out of state buddy buy them then dis-assemble them and ship them to me as parts so I can make 10/20's out of them? Thanks!

If this is ok do you know of any good gun shops in Reno/Tahoe?

CSACANNONEER
08-10-2008, 7:47 AM
What your are proposing is legal but, you may find that some gun shops in the Reno area will not sell you mags without a NV ID. Although, they are not illegal for you to buy there, the Ca. BOF has threatened many of the shops there with prosecution if they are found selling magazines to California residents. Again, there is nothing illegal about them selling mags to you but, they don't want the hassle and expense of dealing with a lawsuit. Just try to buy a few mags and don't talk about where you are from.

Guntech
08-10-2008, 4:16 PM
Yeah gun shops near the border generally ID even if you have a long white beard, even though they couldn't get in trouble because you dont have to provide proof of residency to purchase mags. What you want to do is perfectly legal, and you should be able to do it if you don't go in wearing flip-flops and So-cal garbage. Dress like a normal person not a city slicker or so-cal beach bum(not saying so-cal is all beach bums). Youd be better off getting them at the gunshow as they are more likely to know that you can purchase them as long as you dont import mags, parts arent mags.

gazzavc
08-10-2008, 8:12 PM
I use my British driving license when they try that stunt with me. I also pay in cash while asking them , why does it matter where i'm from ? I just like to collect magazines.

XDshooter
08-10-2008, 8:16 PM
.....the Ca. BOF has threatened many of the shops there with prosecution if they are found selling magazines to California residents.......

Right. :rolleyes: What authority does the California BOF have on any business in Nevada? Answer --->Zero

There is nothing illegal about the transaction.

nobs11
08-10-2008, 9:38 PM
Right. :rolleyes: What authority does the California BOF have on any business in Nevada? Answer --->Zero

There is nothing illegal about the transaction.

I am not a lawyer but I believe the CA DOJ could get the Fed involved if they could convince them that a store knowingly aided someone in breaking another state's law.

sorensen440
08-10-2008, 9:49 PM
I am not a lawyer but I believe the CA DOJ could get the Fed involved if they could convince them that a store knowingly aided someone in breaking another state's law.

Incorrect
It is illegal to manufacture import sell and loan
he is breaking none of the 4

motorhead
08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
mags do not require i.d. or paperwork. what you do with them after you leave the store is on you. there is nothing they could threaten the seller with.

gunsmith
08-10-2008, 11:57 PM
legal, but over in Reno I've seen them turn down Californians, Reno natives just like doing things like that.
It made life difficult for me, I started telling them I'm from NYC.

n6nvr
08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Buying them in Nevada is legal.

The rub is that if you bring them back, then things get a lot more dicey real quick.