PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Dove Season

Sig357
08-09-2008, 5:22 PM
Just renewed my hunting license and getting ready for dove season. Time to start shooting some clays and get back into shooting at moving targets.:D

RobG
08-09-2008, 6:56 PM
Can't wait! My 1100 is ready to go, just need lic. and stamps. Where I hunt there are tons of cottontails too so the .22 gets a workout as well.

Sig357
08-09-2008, 8:33 PM
Can't wait! My 1100 is ready to go, just need lic. and stamps. Where I hunt there are tons of cottontails too so the .22 gets a workout as well.

Yeah Rob I can't wait either. My 11-87 Lefty is ready to go as well. Now that I have my license I'm going to get up early and hunt me down a cottontail with my 10/22.

giv1tatry
08-10-2008, 4:48 PM
got a new browning silver. not even going to range shoot it, saving that very first shot for a winged devil, its tradition, since my very first .177 crossman air gun. just taking it out, and hoping it won't disappoint, but if it does, i'll have my old faithful. 1st of september is labor day as well, get to end the three day weekend with a dove hunt, what else can a hunter ask for? I went on ahead, and got my deer tags too.

opgarlic
08-10-2008, 5:12 PM
dove recipe?

7.62 FMJ
08-10-2008, 5:27 PM
dove recipe?

I've always just wrapped the breast on bacon, stick a toothpick in it and BBQ.

nothing4u
08-10-2008, 5:35 PM
Garlic, salt, butter and red chilli peppers + sautee pan. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.

sargenv
08-10-2008, 5:54 PM
Personally I like a twist of a classically french dish..

Doves Confit... (Look up Duck Confit) I substitute Olive oil for the duck fat and place a small garlic lone (or half a large clove) in each dove cavity. Slowly cooked in a combination of slived onions, dry herbs provence, and oilve oil to cover till the meat just starts to fall from the bone.. Good stuff!

The other way I like to cook them is to slow simmer them in my pasta sauce and serve them over creamy Polenta.

Can't wait :)

timmyb21
08-10-2008, 8:22 PM
I've always just wrapped the breast on bacon, stick a toothpick in it and BBQ.Try it with half a jalepeno in there, mmm mmm tasty!

Thefeeder
08-10-2008, 8:38 PM
dove recipe?

Stuff each bird with 1/2 clove of garlic, a sprig of stage and a piece of panchetta....pan fry in 1/2-4/4 cup oil till brown...remove from pan. Add a glop of any or mix of sliced mushroms to the pan....brown. Add one chopped tomato amd a hand full of chopped parsley...cook for 2 min. Take all the above and put it in a oven pot with a lid...add 2 cups chicken stock to the pot ...bake until they pull apart..

Make a pot of polentta....and serve over the polenta

Thats how we do'em in the south.

DrunkSkunk
08-10-2008, 8:44 PM
We'll be the group out there using our Saiga 12's like the sporting rifles/shotguns they are :)

timmyb21
08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
We'll be the group out there using our Saiga 12's like the sporting rifles/shotguns they are :)YEAH!!! I'll go, but I only have my lowly 870. I just want to see that. :)

7.62 FMJ
08-11-2008, 3:40 PM
We'll be the group out there using our Saiga 12's like the sporting rifles/shotguns they are :)

Just make sure the gun doesn't have the capacity to hold more than three rounds, including the one in chamber.

Sig357
08-11-2008, 7:15 PM
Just make sure the gun doesn't have the capacity to hold more than three rounds, including the one in chamber.

You guys are tempting me to go out and hunt dove with my Benelli M1 Super 90:43:

PatriotnMore
08-12-2008, 7:58 AM
I've made this simple dish many times, and it is always a hit. Breast the dove, make sure you got any pellet out, rinse well, pat dry.

Go to store and buy "Soy Vey" teriyaki marinade and white rice.

Place breast in zip lock baggie, add Soy Vey, let marinade for about 10 min. Cook white rice, place breasts and marinade in pan under med heat (Do not over cook breasts, game is best served rare to med rare) for about 5- 10 min. Place rice on plate, use slotted spoon to scoop breast and arrange on rice.
Viola, if they like teriyaki, they'll like this dish.

GenLee
08-12-2008, 8:06 AM
Place breasted dove's in zip lock baggy, cover with your favorite Italian dressing. Marinade over night. Place half of a seeded jalapeno in breast cavity, wrap in bacon. BBQ.

Serve with stove top stuffing, grilled asparagus and cold beer.
yum

Note: For the larger Eurasian dove use a whole seeded jalapeno.

Jerr
08-12-2008, 2:19 PM
This is gonna be my first year hunting dove, any advice on where to go. I don't expect anyone to give me their honey hole, but any general area will do. I don't mind doing my own scouting but i'd hate to waste a whole tank of gas for nothing. For starters i was thinking San Bernadino, near lytle creek. Thanks for any info.

Jerr

timmyb21
08-12-2008, 2:59 PM
Place breasted dove's in zip lock baggy, cover with your favorite Italian dressing. Marinade over night. Place half of a seeded jalapeno in breast cavity, wrap in bacon. BBQ.

Serve with stove top stuffing, grilled asparagus and cold beer.
yum

Note: For the larger Eurasian dove use a whole seeded jalapeno.That's the one...tasty!