PDA

View Full Version : Pa. gun control group kicks out alleged NRA spy

fredieusa
08-09-2008, 12:49 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080809/ap_on_re_us/nra_mole

By SARA GANIM, Associated Press Writer Sat Aug 9, 12:36 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA - A group advocating stricter gun laws is kicking out a woman who has been accused of being a spy for the National Rifle Association.
ADVERTISEMENT

The CeaseFirePA board of directors voted unanimously Friday to remove fellow board member Mary Lou McFate. The group also is exploring possible legal action against her, though spokesman Joe Grace declined to elaborate.

McFate, an unpaid member of the CeaseFirePA board for seven years, is accused of portraying herself as a gun-control activist while being paid by the NRA to gather intelligence. A Chicago-based group, the Freedom States Alliance, expelled her from its board last week.

The spying accusations were first raised in Mother Jones magazine.

The NRA has declined to discuss the accusation and a message left for its representatives Friday was not immediately returned. Messages left this week for McFate, 62, of Sarasota, Fla., have not been returned.

CeaseFirePA said it sought to get McFate's side of the story, but that she didn't respond to the group's correspondence.

New Jersey Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg asked the NRA on Thursday to respond to the accusations and to stop the snooping.

jumbopanda
08-09-2008, 1:55 AM
Is it really possible to take legal action for something like this? :confused:

Fjold
08-09-2008, 7:47 AM
You can sue the sun for coming up in the morning. It doesn't mean that you'll win anything but it gets your name in the news.

deleted by PC police
08-09-2008, 8:32 AM
I think this is so awsome. The NRA should just come out and say she's not the only one and we can watch these groups tear themselves apart looking for moles.

weezil_boi
08-09-2008, 8:45 AM
I think this is so awsome. The NRA should just come out and say she's not the only one and we can watch these groups tear themselves apart looking for moles.

+ 100000! :) I love it.

nicki
08-09-2008, 7:03 PM
I don't think these groups will really sue because in order to sue, they are going to have to expose all their "dirty laundry" in court.

Our heroine could simply say that she joined these groups because she had an open mind and was willing to support reasonable gun policies that would result in real improvements in public safety.

Let them yell more because in doing so she can now write a book and expose all their dirty laundry.

The more they cry, the more books she will sell. The other side tries to control information because they operate on lies.

Because they operate on lies, it is critical to maintain the top down, lockstep organizational structure to keep their groups from falling apart.

Forums such as this one will never survive on the other side, because thought control is critical for the other side.

Sure we argue and debate on this side, but for the most part, we freely agree on our values, where we have issues is the "how tos".

Great story, hope there are more like her.

Nicki

Solidmch
08-09-2008, 7:49 PM
she is a patriot in my book.

dilligaffrn
08-09-2008, 8:56 PM

Ditto!

sorensen440
08-09-2008, 9:03 PM
She should sue for wrongful termination

bwiese
08-10-2008, 1:47 AM
She should sue for wrongful termination

She didn't lose anything, it was a volunteer "job", so she's merely excluded from the anti's kaffeeklatsches.

Piper
08-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Someone should step in and take her place.