PDA

View Full Version : Need help or advise on laws on shipping gun parts for repair not sale or transfer

RRpilot
08-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I have a damaged AR15 lower that needs to go back to the manufacturer. I am not sure if I can legally ship direct to the manufacturer and back to me. Since it isnt a sales transaction and onlyy a repair can I just ship via what ever. Dont want to get into any trouble.

bwiese
08-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Is the lower an off-list lower?

Or is it a true Colt AR15 or other Kasler-listed lower (Bushmaster XM15, etc.)?

Most firearms can be sent to/from their manufacturer and back to their owner without any special procedures. Long guns can be shipped via US Mail or other shipper; handguns cannot be sent via US Mail by non-FFLs and must be sent by other carrier.

The exception is any CA-defined assault weapon: these have to be sent out & received back via a CA FFL dealer holding an AW permit. Stripped listed receivers might cause a bit of grief, though the case is defendable/winnable.

RRpilot
08-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Is the lower an off-list lower?

Or is it a true Colt AR15 or other Kasler-listed lower (Bushmaster XM15, etc.)?

Most firearms can be sent to/from their manufacturer and back to their owner without any special procedures. Long guns can be shipped via US Mail or other shipper; handguns cannot be sent via US Mail by non-FFLs and must be sent by other carrier.

The exception is any CA-defined assault weapon: these have to be sent out & received back via a CA FFL dealer holding an AW permit. Stripped listed receivers might cause a bit of grief, though the case is defendable/winnable.
It is and OLL (SunDevil) with some of the LPK parts installed but no grip. Will only be shipping the lower. So it looks from what you have said I should be ok. Sun Devil thought it was fine but said to check because of the crazy laws in CA.

Thanks for the info.