PDA

View Full Version : Ignatius Chin on CA Assault Weapons in American Cop Magazine

Dont Tread on Me
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Edited to add his second letter in that issue. Yes he had two! Two is even better!
American Cop Magazine (http://americancopmagazine.com) September/October 2008 Issue Page 13. Copied word for word, nothing changed.

Letter 1
Hi, I just read Evil Lurks and your author is wrong about what he can do with a lawfully registered assault weapon in Kalifornia. First of, all pre ban and post ban are references to the federal assault weapons law, which were wiped out in Sept of 2004. Under California Penal Code section 12285 if the assault weapon is lawfully registered the characteristics portion, which was enacted in 1999, only effects non-series or "Off List Lower" type assault weapons. So his Old Bushmaster, like many others have can any characteristics.

Why advertise such a great AR like the Les Baer with such a lame article. Most of your articles have great info and sources. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with type of hype for people who evidently do not live in this state to comment on how to reduce violence or keep the peace.

The next time a suspect opens up with 35 rounds of 7.62X39 in a project intersection of Kiska and Reardon (Bayview Hunterspoint) and hits the victim four times in the butt, tell Dave Douglas he has done his job for the firearms industry.

Ignatius Chinn
retired Oakland Police Department
retired California Department of Justice/ Firearms
active San Francisco Police Department.

Letter 2
Since 2005 some manufacturers of AR-15 lowers have been using the AW term of detachable magazine, which in the regulation states that : if you have to use a tool to detach a magazine then it's not detachable.

But, where they error is the state and a number of DA offices in CA are of the opinion, if the lower receiver can be restored to accept a detachable magazine with minimal effort and time then it still has capacity to accept. So, this is where a lot of CA gun buyers are getting into trouble and their getting A lot of bad advice from people who have misinterpreted the AW laws.

There are 58 DA offices in this state and sometimes they listened to the AGs opinion and sometimes they go out on their own. But to quote my old director, "How much excitement do you want in your life?" So, if you buy assault weapons parts and put them together thinking you are in line and you're not, then you made a lawyer rich.

Many people have asked me how can they get AR-15s if the low is so restrictive and I always tell them to dow waht my sons have done and join the Army. They'll give you a free one and all the ammo you can shoot.

Ignatius Chinn SFPD.

oaklander
08-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Here's the article that Iggy is complaining about:

http://americancopmagazine.com/articles/LesAR/LesAR.htm

American Cop Magazine (http://americancopmagazine.com) September/October 2008 Issue Page 13. Copied word for word, nothing changed.

Hi, I just read Evil Lurks and your author is wrong about what he can do with a lawfully registered assault weapon in Kalifornia. First of, all pre ban and post ban are references to the federal assault weapons law, which were wiped out in Sept of 2004. Under California Penal Code section 12285 if the assault weapon is lawfully registered the characteristics portion, which was enacted in 1999, only effects non-series or "Off List Lower" type assault weapons. So his Old Bushmaster, like many others have can any characteristics.

Why advertise such a great AR like the Les Baer with such a lame article. Most of your articles have great info and sources. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with type of hype for people who evidently do not live in this state to comment on how to reduce violence or keep the peace.

The next time a suspect opens up with 35 rounds of 7.62X39 in a project intersection of Kiska and Reardon (Bayview Hunterspoint) and hits the victim four times in the butt, tell Dave Douglas he has done his job for the firearms industry.

Ignatius Chinn

35 rounds?

Richy
08-09-2008, 12:05 AM

35 rounds?

LOL maybe the banger had a 40 round mag and decided to keep the other 5 for his get away

Saigon1965
08-09-2008, 12:06 AM

35 rounds?

Equals 8.

M. Sage
08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Iggy is an idiot if he doesn't recognize that the AWB is useless.

Oh, wait...

oaklander
08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Iggy's just mad because information about his previous perjuries was given to his boss. The strange thing is that he ASKED to be put into IA. So I guess he enjoys being a rat.

leelaw
08-09-2008, 12:16 AM
can't tell you how disappointed I am with type of hype for people who evidently do not live in this state to comment on how to reduce violence or keep the peace.

OK, so how about this one from someone who lives in the state:

Iggy is a lame duck. He is on record perjuring himself, and is a dishonor to the law enforcement ranks. He has to lie or forge evidence in order to make cases on some people, and is generally unpleasant and disliked. He is not a person I would put in a position to make any decisions about how to enforce or interpret laws, because he is so bad at it (see: perjuring self, backing-up unlawful FFL raids).

oaklander
08-09-2008, 12:19 AM
LOL - my Iggy Chinn FUD video is #3 on google when searching for Iggy Chinn:

http://www.google.com/search?q=iggy+chinn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

That's got to be humiliating too.

Dont Tread on Me
08-09-2008, 1:02 AM
I'm out of typing stamina else I'd type up the magazine editor's reply. He is a retired LEO living in CA and basically states very clearly that no law abiding citizen should have his/her firearm choices restricted.

tcrpe
08-09-2008, 6:39 AM

Aside from the content, it's very poorly written.

Dont Tread on Me
08-09-2008, 7:29 AM
First post edited to add his second letter in the issue. The second is worth reading!!!

EastBayRidge
08-09-2008, 8:22 AM
It reads like he's writing for LOLKATZ. Or OLLKATZ... I KAN HAZ CMMG...

CSACANNONEER
08-09-2008, 8:28 AM
Since when did the US Army start issueing AR15? I thought they only issued M16 varients, which are select fire weapons and therefor not AWs as defined by the state of California.

Fjold
08-09-2008, 8:38 AM
Iggy is an idiot if he doesn't recognize that the AWB is useless.
Oh, wait...

Fixed it for you.

fleegman
08-09-2008, 9:11 AM
But, where they error is the state and a number of DA offices in CA are of the opinion, if the lower receiver can be restored to accept a detachable magazine with minimal effort and time then it still has capacity to accept. So, this is where a lot of CA gun buyers are getting into trouble and their getting A lot of bad advice from people who have misinterpreted the AW laws.

If I am compliant with the stated letter of the law, then ANY DA who pulls a stunt like that with me ("yes, I know the rules says 2+2=4, but I am of the opinion that 2+2=5"), will reap a whirlwind of trouble from me!

deleted by PC police
08-09-2008, 9:34 AM
If I am compliant with the stated letter of the law, then ANY DA who pulls a stunt like that with me ("yes, I know the rules says 2+2=4, but I am of the opinion that 2+2=5)), will reap a whirlwind of trouble from me!

That's what I was thinking. The law doesn't say anything about being readibly convertable to a detachable magazine, how can this guy be a cop? They don't get to imagine law.

Casual Observer
08-09-2008, 9:40 AM
I'd simply write a reply to the magazine refuting his comments made in the letters and slam him pretty good in the process. Mention, for instance, his documented cases of perjury and the fact he took out his own desk.

CSACANNONEER
08-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Even though Iggy endorsed BBs on national television, he doesn't want any LEO agency to truely understand the real laws. We need a couple of LEOs to write letters to this mag letting real Law Enforcement Officers know the REAL LAWS and that Iggy just has an axe to grind.

jeffyboy
08-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Stupid is as stupid does :rofl2:

sorensen440
08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Iggy wants to get rid of assault weapons
his reasons are simple
Imagine how many holes would be in his desk if it were an assault weapon used?

psssniper
08-09-2008, 10:37 AM
LOL - my Iggy Chinn FUD video is #3 on google when searching for Iggy Chinn:

And this thread is number two on the list :D

csmintel
08-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Just a thought.....can we petition to remove him from his employment because of perjury, lies, etc.? Can we make him a poster child of what LE must not be?

Pvt. Cowboy
08-09-2008, 11:04 AM
American Cop Magazine (http://americancopmagazine.com)

Iggy aside, I just want to make one comment:

"American Cop" magazine? Jeeeeessh. :ack2:

Either that sounds like some sodomite fetish magazine you could pick up in SF's Castro district, or it's a magazine for 'roided-up kitten-stompers who collect jackboots and breaching equipment. Either way, the end of the road leads to the same place.

InFlamez
08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I think you're onto something there. Nonsense laws have proven anything's possible in this backwards state. The moral requirements to become a cop are strict enough as is, so how can someone be permitted to continue being a cop if they've committed acts of corruption and/or perjury like Iggy allegedly has?....new news to me, but definitely grounds for review and possible termination.

Just a thought.....can we petition to remove him from his employment because of perjury, lies, etc.? Can we make him a poster child of what LE must not be?

eltee
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Wonder if he had department approval to post his agency name in a published periodical. The department generally requires you not to give the impression that your views are that of the department, or that you represent the department, when contacting any media.

Gryff
08-09-2008, 11:18 AM

You forget...he works for SFPD. They'll probably give him a commendation.

I keep asking my shooting buddy, who is SFPD SWAT, if they are still allowed to carry guns. His response is "Yeah, amazing, isn't it?"

CSACANNONEER
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
You forget...he works for SFPD. They'll probably give him a commendation.

I keep asking my shooting buddy, who is SFPD SWAT, if they are still allowed to carry guns. His response is "Yeah, amazing, isn't it?"

Yea but, are they allowed to carry ammo? If so, how do they legally get it? IIRC, in SF it's illegal to manufacture, buy, sell or have ammo shipped there.

Gryff
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Yea but, are they allowed to carry ammo?

Oh, absolutely. The ammo is stuffed with little streamers of paper that say "Don't Be a Hater." For SWAT, they have the hard-core stuff...the streamers are made of cardboard.

csmintel
08-09-2008, 1:02 PM
I'd like to :90: this guy

hoffmang
08-09-2008, 2:43 PM
I love how those supposed other "opinions" on detachable can't even survive the Office of Administrative Law... Amazing what happens to an opinion when it meets a neutral third party who can read english...

-Gene

Guntech
08-09-2008, 3:15 PM
He's a moron and has the "cops are the only ones worthy to have guns" syndrome

nwnguy
08-09-2008, 3:34 PM
Iggy is an idiot if he doesn't recognize that the AWB is useless..

Fixed it for you :D

dwtt
08-09-2008, 4:12 PM
Aside from the content, it's very poorly written.

I have a feeling that's the best we can expect from the Ig. Many high school seniors can write better than him.

Steyr_223
08-09-2008, 4:22 PM
Iggy is a dummy and a tool!

trashman
08-09-2008, 4:30 PM
Iggy is a dummy and a tool!

Worse, I think, is that he's a fascist with a badge. I'm sure he's done some good work somewhere in his anti-gang efforts at the street level; but I think he's crossed the line into that imaginary world where only grownups have guns and only cops are grownups.

--Neill

hoffmang
08-09-2008, 4:53 PM
Dude... after reading that bit, if it really is taken word for word, I'm at a loss here. I mean, why is it that I'm always reading "Iggy this" and "Iggy that"? The guy is clearly the product of a substandard education, probably hasn't been blessed with much intelligence either... why the #$&* does anyone on here give a crap what he says or what he does? He is clearly unimportant... don't we have better things to do with our time than worry about the ramblings of this twit?

Without going into details, Iggy is still going to be testifying as a "expert" on AW matters...

-Gene

Matt C
08-09-2008, 4:56 PM
I agree he is an idiot, but he is correct, at least in his first paragraph, and the rest is obviously opinion.

Dont Tread on Me
08-09-2008, 5:21 PM
I confess to not being impressed with his IQ level after reading his letters. May be he was drunk when he sent the first one?

American Cop is not a bad magazine. It does not contain the duck hunting and cowboy stuff that bores me in many magazines and covers tactical stuff well.

Gryff
08-09-2008, 5:40 PM
Without going into details, Iggy is still going to be testifying as a "expert" on AW matters...

Did he really get slapped with perjury charges for a past testimony? I've heard people refer to that, and if it is true, then that needs to be widely disseminated so that any future "expert testimony" can be countered.

bwiese
08-09-2008, 6:57 PM
Did he really get slapped with perjury charges for a past testimony? I've heard people refer to that, and if it is true, then that needs to be widely disseminated so that any future "expert testimony" can be countered.

He was never *charged* w/perjury. But multiple court records document judges discussing his factual misstatements - or incompetence, "not knowing apples from oranges" (approx quote).

Iggy made factual misstatements on a search warrant app in the Frank Tabor AW case of a couple of years ago (which of course went nowhere, Frank's conduct was 100% legal and aboveboard).

Iggy's testimony in future matters will be most interesting, and could be as either a witness or a defendant: :P

In fact when folks on our side need to use Iggy's testimony to demonstrate something, he's so discredited they use an "RJN" (Request for Judicial Notice). That way elements of his positions, past conduct, etc. can be used with the understanding that he & his info are tainted, but that some general trends/behaviors can be inferred.

rhunter
08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Let Iggy be. The more he talks the better off we are. Sometime you have to let the line out; sometimes they hang them selves.

Roger

dilligaffrn
08-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Dude... after reading that bit, if it really is taken word for word, I'm at a loss here. I mean, why is it that I'm always reading "Iggy this" and "Iggy that"? The guy is clearly the product of a substandard education, probably hasn't been blessed with much intelligence either... why the #$&* does anyone on here give a crap what he says or what he does? He is clearly unimportant... don't we have better things to do with our time than worry about the ramblings of this twit?

He spreads FUD, and he has a badge, bad combo.

I feels sorry for his family member/s that are in the military, having a father that is such a tool.

Just my opinion.

sorensen440
08-09-2008, 10:15 PM

-Gene

LOL were in good shape if iggys the expert

trashman
08-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Iggy made factual misstatements on a search warrant app in the Frank Tabor AW case of a couple of years ago (which of course went nowhere, Frank's conduct was 100% legal and aboveboard).

...which Frank was referring to when I was in the shop today....something about probate and AW transferrals.

--Neill

chris
08-10-2008, 11:52 AM
iggy is such an idiot. how can anyone call him an expert in weapons is beyond me.

Dont Tread on Me
08-10-2008, 1:42 PM
iggy is such an idiot. how can anyone call him an expert in weapons is beyond me.

I'd accept his expert testimony on what it feels like to have ND:)

bwiese
08-10-2008, 1:52 PM
...which Frank was referring to when I was in the shop today....something about probate and AW transferrals.

--Neill

Yup. Iggy threw AW charges at Frank because Frank was aiding a probate lawyer in disposing of a decedent's estate, which included several reg'd AWs.
There is a 90 day probate disposal window for AWs for the party managing/inheriting AWs - Frank stored the AWs in his shop (after checking the Penal Code, he's a by-the-letter sorta guy) to help the lawyer. (Why have a buncha AWs laying around in a lawyer's office that doesn't have a gunsafe?

Iggy even acknowledged it might be legal, but went ahead with the drama.
Factual misstatements were made on search warrant app.

At the end of the day it was laughed outta court by judge in pretrial. I believe even Randy Rossi and other senior DOJ FD staff came in on this, perhaps Ferranto too. There is a chance that they came in support of Iggy without knowing the details (i.e, a la Evan's Gunsmithing welded listed AR lower drama).

SchooBaka
08-10-2008, 7:50 PM
Edited to add his second letter in that issue. Yes he had two! Two is even better!

Letter 1

Ignatius Chinn

Letter 2
Since 2005 some manufacturers of AR-15 lowers have been using the AW term of detachable magazine, which in the regulation states that : if you have to use a tool to detach a magazine then it's not detachable.

There are 58 DA offices in this state and sometimes they listened to the AGs opinion and sometimes they go out on their own. But to quote my old director, "How much excitement do you want in your life?" So, if you buy assault weapons parts and put them together thinking you are in line and you're not, then you made a lawyer rich.

Many people have asked me how can they get AR-15s if the low is so restrictive and I always tell them to dow waht my sons have done and join the Army. They'll give you a free one and all the ammo you can shoot.

Ignatius Chinn SFPD.

Wow!
All I can say is :confused::eek::confused:
It's that shoulder thing that goes up???

Dont Tread on Me
08-10-2008, 7:53 PM
At the end of the day it was laughed outta court by judge in pretrial.

Even though things worked out in the end, it still put stress on cost on someone completely unnecessarily. That is the danger of a tool like Chin rolling with a badge.

dfletcher
08-10-2008, 9:01 PM
Did he really use a "K" in "Kalifornia"? I thought that was used as a jab at the nanny state, rather odd to see this fellow using it.

I notice he's "retired this and retired that" - I presume he's with SFPD as part some sort of money scheme? Does he get $$$ as being retired from either of those agencies?

Dont Tread on Me
08-10-2008, 9:04 PM
Did he really use a "K" in "Kalifornia"?

He did. I typed it as it. I don't blame you for checking as we make that switch almost automatically now.

bwiese
08-10-2008, 9:11 PM
Even though things worked out in the end, it still put stress on cost on someone completely unnecessarily. That is the danger of a tool like Chin rolling with a badge.

Yes, another FFL reported Iggy saying (about Frank), "Oh well, it still cost him $10K".

falawful
08-11-2008, 7:48 PM
"Many people have asked me how can they get AR-15s if the law is so restrictive and I always tell them to dow what my sons have done and join the Army. They'll give you a free one and all the ammo you can shoot."

Ignatius Chinn SFPD.

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State."

Heinrich Himmler, head of the Nazi SS

Iggy, your words speak for themselves.

You are no less of a bigot than Herr Himmler.

pieeater
08-11-2008, 8:37 PM
Did he really use a "K" in "Kalifornia"? I thought that was used as a jab at the nanny state, rather odd to see this fellow using it.

I notice he's "retired this and retired that" - I presume he's with SFPD as part some sort of money scheme? Does he get $$$ as being retired from either of those agencies?

The K seems weird. Is it confirmed he wrote this.Not just someone using his name?

AfricanHunter
08-11-2008, 9:25 PM
"Many people have asked me how can they get AR-15s if the law is so restrictive and I always tell them to dow what my sons have done and join the Army. They'll give you a free one and all the ammo you can shoot."

Ignatius Chinn SFPD.

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State."

Is that Himmler quote accurate?

Dont Tread on Me
08-11-2008, 9:47 PM
Is that Himmler quote accurate?

I cannot find the date of the quote but Googling shows it at lot:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/heinrich_himmler.html

Seeing Iggy and Himmler's words so close together is chilling. He really is a jack booted thug. Well, desert booted thug if I remember pictures from his last rade.

dilligaffrn
08-12-2008, 12:52 PM

Ignatius Chinn SFPD.

Well put!

csmintel
08-12-2008, 1:17 PM
You guys, why are we stressing about this cat? Let's pull a legal fund together and litigate him for the rest of his life. let him spend money on attorney fees. Let's structure the lawsuit the way that he can't use a police paid defense attorney. Let's demand civil litigation first. lets forma group like: "moms against violence" or "Citizens for safe neighborhoods" or something like that. then the media will give a coverage : citizens for public integrity are suing former renegade LEO for violationg constitution" or something. I know many of you are thinking about that too. Can we put something together and make an example of this one bad seed?

Mikeb
08-12-2008, 1:38 PM
Children for the protection and preservation of office furniture?

dfletcher
08-12-2008, 1:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher
"Did he really use a "K" in "Kalifornia"? "

He did. I typed it as it. I don't blame you for checking as we make that switch almost automatically now.

Thanks, I figured it was transcribed accurately - just surprises me he would do that as it belies his "working for the nanny state" mentality and speaks to the contempt many of us have for the state and it's foolish laws. We use it to mock the state, I just don't picture him doing the same or having anythin in common with those who do.

bwiese
08-12-2008, 2:27 PM
You guys, why are we stressing about this cat? Let's pull a legal fund together and litigate him for the rest of his life.

Iggy's command chain is now aware of his questionable departure from DOJ BoF (formerly FD), and the over-1-foot-high stack of transcripts indicating uncharged perjury.

Iggy's biz with the DOJ is not over yet, however. He may have to make a choice of being a witness or a defendant quite soon.

falawful
08-12-2008, 8:57 PM
The Himmler quote is accurate.

The oh-so-esteemed retired Gen. Wesley Clark also made a similar remark in his mercifully cut-short presidential campaign.

Those that don't remember history.....

hoffmang
08-12-2008, 9:05 PM
Hmm... Where might we find a legal fund....

gunsmith
08-13-2008, 12:41 AM

Ignatius Chinn SFPD.

Sounds a bit like German law circa ww2

"The associations of the National Revival, SA, SS and Stahlem,
give every responsible citizen theopportunity of campaigning with them.
Therefore anyone who does not belong to one of the above named organizations
and who unjustifiably nevertheless keeps his weapon...must be regarded as an enemy of the National Gov't will be bought to account without compunction and with utmost severity"

gunsmith
08-13-2008, 12:45 AM
oh btw, "the second amendment primer" has a cite for the so called himmler quote, I cant remember now if it was indeed himmler but it was German/third reich law.
My book is in Reno storage, so I cant find complete cite, but it has been documented.

artherd
08-13-2008, 1:14 AM
<looks around> If only we had a legal fund... ;)

artherd
08-13-2008, 1:20 AM
Yes, another FFL reported Iggy saying (about Frank), "Oh well, it still cost him $10K".

Somebody needs to print Gene's OAL letter out on some bedsheets for this guy...

Rogue187
10-19-2008, 8:07 PM
Don't forget that Iggy also has an registered AW.
I remember some time ago that I got a copy of his letter that he used to purchase a AR-15 himself.
If someone remembers seeing it and has a copy please post it again so other members will have some proof that "I got mine but I really don't care if you get yours" is Iggy's motto.
If I can find it I will post it..

Someone ought to send it to the Editor at American Cop Magazine and also send along all the info about Iggy purjuring himself so many times that he really can't be considered a "Expert" as his testimony is tainted.

I wonder who do you send a letter to at SFPD to let them know that their "Expert" is writing into a public magazine representing himself as the Expert for SFPD.?

ke6guj
10-19-2008, 8:45 PM
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Ignatius_Chinn-M4-Letter-2005-05-17.pdf

Full Clip
10-19-2008, 10:10 PM
LOL were in good shape if iggys the expert

Given that this is the kind of firearms "expert" our legislators probably relied on to write their moronic laws banning "assault weapons," it's no surprise that they are so easily and legally circumvented using the exact language and definitions contained in same.
Total tool.

I wonder who do you send a letter to at SFPD to let them know that their "Expert" is writing into a public magazine representing himself as the Expert for SFPD.?

Try Chief Heather Fong. http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=24103
And cc her boss, Gavin "I Screwed My Buddy's Wife" Newsome