PDA

View Full Version : Do shotgun shells deform?

Cato
08-07-2008, 3:12 PM
Has anyone here ever had a shotgun shell deform due to being in the magazine too long? I've only heard anecdotal stories confirming this.

Black_Talon
08-07-2008, 5:36 PM
Yes, I have, several times over the years. They sometimes get a bulged-out area on them right at the mouth of the shell. It seems to take quite a long time for this to occur though. I'd say that if you use (rotate) your ammo at least once a year you'll be just fine.

AJD
08-07-2008, 6:00 PM
I've seen some evidence of this in my personal shells at the very top or mouth, but nothing that would prevent them from chambering. I will say that Federal shells tend to be less prone to do this as they are tapered more inward and seem to have a good crimp. It seems that the shells like winchester seem to expand out a little at the top so that the radius there is a little wider than the body of the shell. I hope I explained that o.k.

Oh, btw, I would imagine that if left in the mag tube of a shotgun in a hot environment like a car that it would accelerate the process, as it would soften the plastic. I wonder if any of our friends in LE could tell us how often they change the shells in their Police cars as they are left inside a hot car often.

randy
08-07-2008, 6:53 PM
The cheap wally world winchester super sport have been bad enough that I don't buy them anymore and haven't for some time. They bell at the mouth of the shell and have a hard time chambering. If you are shooting trap they're fine who cares if it doesn't cycle you can only load one at time anyway.

Guntech
08-07-2008, 9:06 PM
If anyone has used the long range shells (forgot what brand) they seem to do that real badly so much so that they wont chamber easily in a mossy 500

Moonclip
08-08-2008, 3:13 AM
. I wonder if any of our friends in LE could tell us how often they change the shells in their Police cars as they are left inside a hot car often.

I've also read somewhere the vibration from a police motorcycle, the shotshells need to be checked sometimes as this can cause problems with the shells eventually.