PDA

View Full Version : Skeet Shooting in/near Orange County

sastark
08-07-2008, 9:47 AM
Hi All,

My first post here, though I've been lurking, reading posts for a few days now.

Last Thanksgiving, I bought my first shotgun: a Benelli SuperNova Tactical 12 gauge, and sadly, I haven't fired it once. I bought it with the idea of taking up skeet shooting (and possibly hunting fowl) and, of course, home defense.

I moved to Orange County last year (from Sacramento) and don't really know any places to go shooting down here. A friend of mine has taken me to Evan's in Orange, but they only have a pistol range.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a place in Orange County (or within an hour's driving time) were I could go to shoot some skeet. I'm not new to guns or gun safety (have a couple of hand guns and a couple of rifles), but I am new to skeet, so I'm open to any advice you all may have for me.

Thanks in advance! I've really enjoyed reading threads on this site.

Oh! And my apologies if this has been asked and answered.

Black Majik
08-07-2008, 9:56 AM
Hi Seth,

There are quite a few options available for trap and skeet near Orange County.

Prado is off the 71 behind the 1776 damn in Norco

Raahauges is just down the street off the 91 and Lincoln.

Triple B's is near Rosemead (about 45 minutes), it's farther but also a great place to shoot clay.

Good luck

kwest10
08-07-2008, 9:58 AM
The closest would be Raahauges in Corona. A bit pricey at $20+ for 50 targets but the range looks real nice. Burro, Lytle and I think WEGC.org have skeet but I think you need at least 2 people. You and the thrower operator.

What Just Happened?
08-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Prado, Raahauge's, and Triple B's are the one's I know of. Unfortunately, I don't shoot shotgun sports so I won't comment on their facilities.

PatriotnMore
08-07-2008, 10:06 AM
This is closer than Raahauges, and much cheaper.

http://www.shootprado.com/

sastark
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Besides my gun, ammo, ear protection and cash what should I bring with me if I were to go to, say, Prado?

Black Majik
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM
A shell pouch or vest would really come in handy. This way you wont have to bend down to pick up shells from the box, or stuff shells in your pockets.

Colt
08-07-2008, 11:04 AM
There's also a range with limited days/hours in San Clemente. I've never been there, so can't make any other comments.

emrivera1
08-07-2008, 4:59 PM
I just got back from Prado a few hours ago. Though I try to go in the morning when it's not so crowded. On occasion I've had to wait 30+ mins to shoot.

clippers6
08-08-2008, 5:27 AM
There's another thread in the range stories forum discussing clay shooting. Someone mentioned that Triple B will only allow 20" or longer barrels.

08-08-2008, 9:24 AM
Rent or borrow a shotgun with a 26" barrel or longer. Some gun clubs like Triple B in El Monte rent shotguns for a small fee.
Trying to shoot clays or hunt birds with a short barreled tacticool scattergun is like participating in a NASCAR race with an 18 wheeler. Or hunt deer with an Sherman tank. Or repair a Swiss watch with a plumber's pipe wrench.
The only thing you'll achieve going with your Nova Tactical at the gun range is making people smiling and shaking their heads. Not trying to rain on your parade, just telling the truth.

ibanezfoo
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
+1 on Prado. The pistol ranges kind of suck but I really like their trap ranges.

-Bryan

Shotgun Man
08-08-2008, 1:13 PM
In any event, do give us a range report.

I would especially be interested in knowing how much people reacted to you using a tactical pump.

The first time I went sport clay shooting I had a lowly remington 870 sythentic stock. Boy, did I get a lot of looks.

I felt like white trash crashing an old boy's country club with everyone else with their wooden stocked over and unders.

Even though now I have a couple over and unders, I still take the pump out for practice, and people still look at me.

PatriotnMore
08-08-2008, 1:30 PM
I would especially be interested in knowing how much people reacted to you using a tactical pump.

The first time I went sport clay shooting I had a lowly remington 870 sythentic stock. Boy, did I get a lot of looks.

I felt like white trash crashing an old boy's country club with everyone else with their wooden stocked over and unders.

Even though now I have a couple over and unders, I still take the pump out for practice, and people still look at me.

Last time at Prado, there was a guy shooting skeet with a tactical pump. He was with a group of guys, I didn't see much ribbing going on, but I did notice he couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn with it.:D

I take my Remmy 870 pump along with my auto loader, and O/U. IMHO, Pumps are great guns, and I think they make you a better shot.
Besides, who cares what everyone thinks, when you're hitting 25 out of 25? :D

ibanezfoo
08-08-2008, 2:17 PM
In any event, do give us a range report.

Where the heck do you shoot? I take my pumps to Prado and nobody seems to care at all. Of course these are sporting shotguns, not like my Mossberg 590.... but still. And then, like PatriotnMore said, who really cares if you're hitting 25/25 anyway.

-Bryan

Moonclip
08-08-2008, 6:47 PM

Should be a sig line!

I also feel a bit funny when I go trap shooting as I only have an 870 Wingmaster with an express 28in barrel as a gun I don't feel too stupid bringing.

The rest of my shotguns are riot guns or stuff that is embarrasing to bring like a Chinese O/U or a bolt action.

08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Should be a sig line!

I also feel a bit funny when I go trap shooting as I only have an 870 Wingmaster with an express 28in barrel as a gun I don't feel too stupid bringing.

The rest of my shotguns are riot guns or stuff that is embarrasing to bring like a Chinese O/U or a bolt action.

A Wingmaster is nothing to feel funny about when going on the trap range. It's the finest pump action ever made in the history of the shotgun.

I too take a number of guns you don't usually see at the clay range, like for example my trusted goose gun Franchi I-12 in Duck Blind camouflage pattern.
Or my butt-ugly, beat-up Browning Auto 5 humpback - old enough to be my great-grandfather first firearm when he was a kid. But for crying out loud, all these guns have have barrels of an appropriate size for pointing, swinging and hitting the birds on the fly.
Taking a gun with a tactical (short) barrel at the range and trying to hit an object the size of large cookie moving at almost 70 feet per second is just a futile waste of time and money.
Not mentioning after burning through a few boxes of shotshells without breaking a single bird, the newbie shotgunner will go home dissapointed and with the wrong idea stuck in his head that clay shooting is too difficult to learn and it's something that he will never be able to do. When in fact this isn't true.

DeeL2003
08-09-2008, 8:49 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread. But can you bring your tactical pump to the handgun range in Prado? Trying to find a local range in the IE/OC area where I can get some practice with my 870 and not be limited to just using birdshot too.

psssniper
08-09-2008, 9:52 AM
San Clemente shoots thurs and sunday only thanks to a couple whiner homeowners.

SC Trap & Skeet (949) 366-0916

steadyrock
08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
That sucks. Have you been to the San Clemente club? Is it nice? Any other ranges there (rimfire/pistol?). I can find precious little information about it on the web.

ibanezfoo
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread. But can you bring your tactical pump to the handgun range in Prado? Trying to find a local range in the IE/OC area where I can get some practice with my 870 and not be limited to just using birdshot too.

I was told no, and that I could use the patterning board if I wanted to shoot it. Of course, this was 5 years ago so who knows about nowdays...

-Bryan

ThatFishGuy
08-09-2008, 1:30 PM
The San Clemente place is nice. very small, but clean and they operate the clays for you + keep score etc. There's only one of each area; 1 trap and 1 skeet. I've heard thursdays get pretty busy because all the regulars go then. i went one sunday and there was no wait, the range is clean and has a beautiful view. a little tough to find ( behind the golf course) but i liked it because it was close and reasonably priced. I think it was $7 or $8, same as prado but without the shotty microphones. wish they were open more often.

Riodog
08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Where the heck do you shoot? I take my pumps to Prado and nobody seems to care at all. Of course these are sporting shotguns, not like my Mossberg 590.... but still. And then, like PatriotnMore said, who really cares if you're hitting 25/25 anyway.

-Bryan

No ****, but then again, I don't see that many that are shooting 25/25 much less 90 or better outta 100. Most peeps that are that good take it seriously and upgrade to a better gun. Most have years of practice behind them and that costs $$$. Flame on but those are the facts of life.
I don't think I've EVER seen a "1" shotgun person shoot 100 straight and can't remember when the last time I've seen anyone with a "tacticool' shotgun run 25 birds.
Rio

Crusader
08-12-2008, 5:08 PM
I just went to Raahauge's in Corona/Norwalk on Sunday. Although shooting is really expensive there, it was pretty nice, and has a lot of trap/sporting ranges to just shoot some clays.

I was also surprised to find that, while shooting my 18" cylinder-bore Super Nova, that I was averaging about 18-20/25 clays, even when shooting at two clays.