PDA

View Full Version : Question about PPT in CA

Oldnoob
08-06-2008, 7:30 PM
I have never go through a PPT before. From what i know it cost about $35 (LA area). But what exactly do they do? Background check on both seller and buyer? If I'm buying will they be able to tell me if the gun is legit? How will I know the sell is lawful owner of the gun?

hawk1
08-06-2008, 7:33 PM
I have never go through a PPT before. From what i know it cost about $35 (LA area). But what exactly do they do? Background check on both seller and buyer? If I'm buying will they be able to tell me if the gun is legit? How will I know the sell is lawful owner of the gun?

They only check the buyer to see if he is prohibited from ownership. Not sure what you mean of "legit"? If you are asking stolen, yes. The buyer will not be able to pick up a reported stolen firearm. As for "How will I know the sell is lawful owner of the gun" that I don't know.
Be sure you have your Handgun Safety Card if buying a handgun.

bohoki
08-06-2008, 8:17 PM
basically all they check out is the buyer and if the gun is stolen

the seller is irrelevent since he no longer will own the gun

the bad thing is that the previous owner is not unregistered from that gun

my sheet comes up with every pistol i ever owned and i'm a bit embarrased at some of the selections

Oldnoob
08-06-2008, 8:29 PM
Wait, so they don't even check if the seller is also the owner of the gun? What if guy X took a gun from my safe and sale it to guy B, as long as I don't report stolen they will actually register my gun to someone else?

Librarian
08-06-2008, 9:58 PM
Wait, so they don't even check if the seller is also the owner of the gun? What if guy X took a gun from my safe and sale it to guy B, as long as I don't report stolen they will actually register my gun to someone else?

Remember, there were probably millions of guns in CA before the 1991 requirement to do transfers through FFLs - essentially none of those have any record with the state, so if they were to check, odds are good they'd draw a blank. 'No record' cannot of itself be a problem in transferring.

Anecdotes here seem to suggest the DOJ doesn't much care who used to own the things, so complaining about old transfers done without DROS is less interesting than establishing the new owner is not a prohibited person.

DOJ is interested in / taking guns away from / insuring guns are not in possession of / people who become prohibited persons by way of some kind of due process. It seems to be 'interesting person: what guns?' rather than 'gun being sold: who owns it now?'

Oldnoob
08-07-2008, 2:18 AM
I see, just few more questions.
1) If I'm selling my gun how can I convenes buyer that I'm the lawful owner of the piece?
2) If I'm buying is there anyway to be sure the seller is the lawful owner of the Piece?
3) Depend on what will be the answer of 1 and 2. What if to prevent someone sell me a gun through PPT than report it stolen? EX: Person A is lawful owner of a gun, he/she let person B take the gun to sell it to person C. After the deal and 10 day cooling period, person A report the gun as stolen. Since police can find person C and the gun through register DROS but person B wasn't checked or recorded, and person C never met with person A. Isn't person C screwed?