PDA

View Full Version : Got my first shotgun.

The Cable Guy
08-06-2008, 6:12 PM
Also my first gun as well. Mossberg 500 with 28" Vent Rib barrel and an additional 18.5" barrel with bead sight. You probably recognize it from the Big 5 ads, which is where I got it from. $249.99 + Tax and $25 DROS fee added up to about $295 plus change. I'm thinking about getting some aftermarket parts such as a heatshield, tactical pistol grip fullstock and forend, and probably a sidesaddle.

Any suggestions on where to get these parts for cheap?

The Cable Guy
08-06-2008, 6:13 PM
Ooh, also, do you guys know anywhere that I could go to just plink around and get accustomed to my gun? I'm in LA County in Rowland Heights, thanks!

mister dize
08-06-2008, 6:23 PM
Also my first gun as well. Mossberg 500 with 28" Vent Rib barrel and an additional 18.5" barrel with bead sight. You probably recognize it from the Big 5 ads, which is where I got it from. $249.99 + Tax and $25 DROS fee added up to about $295 plus change. I'm thinking about getting some aftermarket parts such as a heatshield, tactical pistol grip fullstock and forend, and probably a sidesaddle.

Any suggestions on where to get these parts for cheap?

If you're going to be shooting buckshot or slugs (most likely in a home defense scenario), I'd strongly recommend a LimbSaver recoil pad. It cuts the kick by 50% easily, and makes for much more enjoyable range time. They make one that fits your shotgun perfectly.

I have the exact same model. Hours upon hours of fun.

The Cable Guy
08-06-2008, 6:28 PM
If you're going to be shooting buckshot or slugs (most likely in a home defense scenario), I'd strongly recommend a LimbSaver recoil pad. It cuts the kick by 50% easily, and makes for much more enjoyable range time. They make one that fits your shotgun perfectly.

I have the exact same model. Hours upon hours of fun.

I'll look into that.

Greg-Dawg
08-06-2008, 7:05 PM
Welcome aboard.

You can't beat the price.

You can get on Azusa and go north to Burro Canyon or make the extra trip to Corona...Raugguese (something like that) to go shooting.

PorkLover
08-06-2008, 7:10 PM
that was my first shotgun as well....can't beat it!....I love to shoot trap with it and like the fact that I have the 18.5 inch barrell for HD.....

The Cable Guy
08-06-2008, 7:49 PM
Welcome aboard.

You can't beat the price.

You can get on Azusa and go north to Burro Canyon or make the extra trip to Corona...Raugguese (something like that) to go shooting.

I'm trying to find somewhere that I can go just to plink around. Somewhere deserted, in the middle of the desert, or like up in the mountains, where I don't have to pay a range fee.

masterB
08-06-2008, 7:59 PM
it's only $10 to shoot all day at Burro Canyon

The Cable Guy
08-06-2008, 9:22 PM
it's only $10 to shoot all day at Burro Canyon

Not too bad, do they have ranges where you can put random (yet safe) items to shoot at? IE: Cans, fruit, stationery targets?

dilligaffrn
08-07-2008, 6:47 AM
Not too bad, do they have ranges where you can put random (yet safe) items to shoot at? IE: Cans, fruit, stationery targets?

Find a trap/skeet range close to you, you will learn your gun and have a blast, bring friends too so you can laugh at each other, and have someone to buy the "beer" bird as applicable.

The first time you brake doubles you will be hooked on skeet...

PULL!

C_1
08-07-2008, 6:15 PM
Congrats! Hopefully I get a shotgun, too, most likely the same combo, from the same store. Well, not the same exact store, but same retailer, Big 5.

But Im not sure where you can get parts/accessories for cheap, but you should look into a limbsaver, Knoxx SpecOps stock (helps with recoil), SpeedFeed (stores 4 shells in stock), Mesa (aluminum saddle), and ATI (if you want cheap). Lots of options, just gotta decide what you want first, and then search for the best price.

The Cable Guy
08-08-2008, 5:25 PM
eek I hate this 10 day wait nonsense. How are the tactical pistol grip full stocks?

The Cable Guy
08-09-2008, 3:39 PM
Picked up a 100rd case of 12g 3 - 1 1/8 7 1/2 Federal for $21 at Wal-Mart today. still a week til my 10day is over.

tonelar
08-10-2008, 7:40 PM
awesome price for bird shot-

moving targets with a shotgun pwns

ar15barrels
08-12-2008, 7:27 PM
heatshields are the suck.
wear a support hand glove.

The Cable Guy
08-12-2008, 11:38 PM
heatshields are the suck.
wear a support hand glove.

No love for heat shields?

I want to get one since I'll be using this at the range, with friends. So there will be a bit of passing around. Also, I like the look of it.

ar15barrels
08-12-2008, 11:43 PM
the look of it.

That's the number one reason NOT to bolt something on a gun. ;)

These are some basic working guns:

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/3guns.jpg

Everything on them has a specific purpose.