PDA

View Full Version : How to Identify and Join your Local NRA Members' Council

mikehaas
08-06-2008, 5:31 PM
At the NRA Members' Council of Alameda's monthly meeting last night (Paul Payne and I stopped by to visit), Ivan and I were speaking about how a post with directions of how to locate and join your local "MC" may inspire some to try it. I know of at least 4 calgunners that were there, so jump on it, the water's fine! Join NRA's "Army on the Ground"!

Manual Method

- Go to http://calnra.com/mc/directory/

- On the map, click on the MC closest to you. (A page with that MC's contact info and meeting time/location will open.)

Or, have CalNRA.com (http://calnra.com/volunteer) look it up and email you

- Go to http://calnra.com/volunteer/

- Enter as much contact info as possible and press the Submit button. (Zip code is required because it is used to geographically look up the MC that covers your area. Make sure to enter your email so we can send you the info back.) The system will send you an email with info about the MC and MC officers will receive your info. (The circle is complete.) All that's left to do then is to show up for the meeting!

- If you live in an area where there is no local MC, consider starting one. Contact Paul Payne (via the 'Program Administrator' selection at http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/msg/) if interested. Yes, there are many opportunities for leadership in this movement.

sorensen440
08-06-2008, 5:38 PM
so what are the meetings like?
Ive been meaning to go to one for a while

bulgron
08-06-2008, 7:15 PM

Can't speak for the other MC's, but at the Santa Clara County MC we start with a dinner at 6 pm just so folks can visit and catch up. The meeting itself starts at 7 pm and involves various committees reporting on their activities over the month. There's usually some free-ranging discussion (maybe too much :D) if a topic is particularly contentious.

Mostly the committees involve activities such as our booths at gun shows, the hunter safety training that we put on, getting our website (http://www.calnra.com/santaclara/index.shtml) up and running, discussions about a 4th of July float that we want to do, future events that we'd like to make an appearance at, etc. We're a relatively young MC, so there's also always talk about what else we can be doing as an organization.

(And, yes, we need more people because there's already a lot more that we'd like to do, but we haven't enough people to do it.)

The meeting itself is usually over sometime between 8:00 and 8:30 -- usually closer to 8:00 than 8:30.

If you're at all interested, I hope you make an effort to attend your local MC. Sitting on a keyboard and discussing gun politics over the internet is all well and good, but there's nothing quite like getting to know people locally who share your interests, and in actually diving in to help change things in your city, county and state. In the few months since I started attending the MC meetings, I'm happy to say I've made some friends, gained some shooting buddies, and found ever-more creative ways to work to improve the political situation here in California.

dwtt
08-06-2008, 7:22 PM

Since you are in Alameda county, the meeting is the first Tuesday of each month in San Leandro, at a pizza restaurant. It's a family owned place and the food is good.
After ordering your food, you'll go to an adjacent meeting room and you'll likely end up introducing yourself to everyone since you are new. The meeting will cover current legislation, any alerts we have to act on, things the MC is working on like attending a gun show or sponsoring a family shoot at the San Leandro range, and other business. It's also a good chance for you to volunteer and get involved in what the member's council is doing. You'll also learn that the dues you send the NRA is not wasted when you see the grassroots activity. Speaking of dues, if you renew your NRA membership at the meeting, the member's council gets a commission from the NRA.

jjefrey
08-06-2008, 8:29 PM
Manual Method

- Go to http://calnra.com/mc/directory/

- On the map, click on the MC closest to you. (A page with that MC's contact info and meeting time/location will open.)

Just looked it up. Looks like I'm in your area.

We should talk.

gmcal
08-06-2008, 8:48 PM
The closest MC to me is Merced/Mariposa but nothing is Modesto, which is closer to me. Anything in the works to start one in Modesto or Turlock?

CHS
08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Awesome, there is an MC right in Huntington Beach.

Looks like the 19th of this month I'll be attending the meeting at Old World. Hope to see some of you there.

oaklander
08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Please, please, please attend your local MC meetings. It's a good way to meet other 2A folks in person, and a good way to get involved with the local activities of *your* NRA.

It is also a good way to spread the word about Calguns to others who may not be as wired as we are!!!!

:)

JeffCinSac
08-07-2008, 6:56 AM
Hmm...

No MC in Placer county. Seems like a good place for one.

Thoughts?

-J

mikehaas
08-07-2008, 9:19 AM

We should talk.
I do - all the time. Some wish I didn't so much. :-)

Seriously, sure - glad to. The next meeting of the NRA Members' Council of West Contra Costa County (http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/cgi-bin/haasmcshowwebpage.cgi?mc=westcoco) is Thursday, August 21 at the Richmond Rod & Gun Club (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3155+Goodrick+Ave.,+Richmond,+CA&om=1), 7:00 PM.

H Paul Payne
08-10-2008, 9:03 AM
The closest MC to me is Merced/Mariposa but nothing is Modesto, which is closer to me. Anything in the works to start one in Modesto or Turlock?

Hmm...

No MC in Placer county. Seems like a good place for one.

Thoughts?

-J

I am the Program Administrator for the NRA Members' Councils of California. If you are interested in the possibility of organizing a Members' Council for your area, all you need to do is call me and we can discuss the process.

Paul

jjefrey
08-24-2008, 1:29 PM
So after reading this thread I looked up my local members council and decided to go to the next meeting.

Well this past Thursday I went to my local meeting at Richmond Rod and Gun. Just so happens that Paul Payne the California director and Ed who is the California NRA-ILA rep in Sacramento were at the meeting. They both spoke for a bit and it was great to hear some of the behind the scenes info that you don't normally get to hear about.

Over all it was a great experience, got to meet some like minded local people with great attitudes. I will definitely be going back to the next meeting next month.

The only other comment I had is it is definitely an older crowd that I belive could benefit from the infusion of a younger generation of sportsmen. So if your in our area (West Contra Costa) why not stop buy for the next meeting Sept 18. I myself have made a conscious decision to step up and protect my rights and would encourage others to do the same.

Knight
08-24-2008, 1:55 PM
Wow, Norcal is like a dead zone. There seriously isn't an MC within 5 hours of where I live.

jjefrey
08-24-2008, 1:57 PM
Wow, Norcal is like a dead zone. There seriously isn't an MC within 5 hours of where I live.

You could start one. Altough I think there is quite a bit of work that goes into it.

H Paul Payne
08-24-2008, 7:24 PM

re: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1428966&postcount=11

I'm sitting next to my phone, but for some reason, it isn't ringing! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm????:confused:

Paul

gmcal
08-24-2008, 7:27 PM
Paul,

will you be next to phone around 3pm tomorrow?

gazzavc
08-24-2008, 7:47 PM
Is anyone going to the next SFV meeting on the 2nd wednesday?

Gary

mikehaas
08-24-2008, 9:32 PM

We should talk.
And we did. At my Members' Council meeting Thursday night. Thanks for stopping by, jjefrey!

Paul Payne and Ed Worley came by (drove down from Sacramento after the Senate adjourned) and gave their typical eye-opening stories of "how it works at the capitol". Gotta love Ed - "The first thing you have to understand about the capitol is... there are NO rules up there... they do what they want..." As he substantiates that claim with real-life stories, you slowly realize how much he is NOT kidding. By the time they're done, I'm always left thinking how lucky we are to have these particular 2 guys because it's only because of their special talents that NRA finds ways to make progress in that chaotic jungle.

After the heavy political stuff, I showed a DVD of some of the funniest political satire videos I could find on YouTube - about 20 mintes long. Even had free copies of the DVD for those that wanted them!

And of course, there was the free pizza and soft drinks.

If you're from West Contra Costa County and didn't come - your loss. Next month it's September 18 but no ED or Paul or videos. Just me. :banghead: But we will have pizza. :jump:

H Paul Payne
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Paul,

will you be next to phone around 3pm tomorrow?

Feel free to give me a call. I try to have my phone with me at all times.

BTW, I'd really appreciate it if I only received calls after 7:00am and not after 10:00pm. Thanks. ;)

Paul

Knight
08-26-2008, 10:35 AM
re: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1428966&postcount=11

I'm sitting next to my phone, but for some reason, it isn't ringing! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm????:confused:

Paul

Not trying to knock you guys or anything, just an observation. But seriously, there's no way I could take the time to organize something like that. Maybe after I graduate; but even so I'll be moving out of the state by then anyway.

mikehaas
08-26-2008, 3:55 PM
Not trying to knock you guys or anything, just an observation. But seriously, there's no way I could take the time to organize something like that. Maybe after I graduate; but even so I'll be moving out of the state by then anyway.
And I'm not knocking you, I'm really not, but let's see... gotta look that up... that's excuse number 127.

The number of excuses gun-owners can think up is why...

Wow, Norcal is like a dead zone

Knight
08-26-2008, 4:14 PM
And I'm not knocking you, I'm really not, but let's see... gotta look that up... that's excuse number 127.

Yup, you're right. It is absolutely an excuse. :seeya:

CHS
08-26-2008, 4:43 PM

Which number is this excuse:

I already have 3 members councils, 3, 15, and 30 minutes away from me. :-D

I would start one, but I don't want SoCal to get TOO crowded!

H Paul Payne
08-26-2008, 6:48 PM
Which number is this excuse:

I already have 3 members councils, 3, 15, and 30 minutes away from me. :-D

I would start one, but I don't want SoCal to get TOO crowded!

With all of the NRA members we have in the area, we could easily make good use of a Members' Council in both the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area AND the Southern Orange County area. << Hint - Hint >> ;)

Paul