PDA

View Full Version : Intra-Familial, interstate transfer of long gun?

steadyrock
08-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Hello all,

Sorry if this is a dupe request. I've used the search button and still have a few questions about this process. My father has an old Remington .22 training rifle that he's had since he was a kid. It's the gun he learned to shoot on, the gun he taught me to shoot on, and now it's going to be the gun I will teach my boys to shoot on. He lives in Idaho, so there are interstate shipping concerns to deal with. He was also born in 1950, so while it's possible this gun qualifies as a C&R I'm not holding my breath (still waiting on model # and serial details to be sure). I have a few questions:

1. Assuming this is not a C&R piece, will he have to ship it to a FFL and will I have to go through the DROS process and wait 10 days?

2. What is the best method to ship the gun? UPS? USPS? Does anybody really care that it's a gun being shipped?

3. If it IS a C&R, how does that change things? Will I still have to "register" the gun somehow, or is it possible to legally handle the transfer while keeping it out of the government records?

Thanks for your advice.

bwiese
08-06-2008, 1:00 PM
1. Assuming this is not a C&R piece, will he have to ship it to a FFL

Yes. Interstate transfers of normal guns, except for inheritance/probate cases, require the participation of an FFL

and will I have to go through the DROS process and wait 10 days?

You'll have to DROS. It's unclear if it's illegal if the 10day wait were skipped :)

2. What is the best method to ship the gun? UPS? USPS? Does anybody really care that it's a gun being shipped?

You should declare a firearm being shipped. Avoid advice from idiots who want you to declare it as "metal machine parts".

You can send long guns to an FFL via US Post Office mail or other carrier. (US Mail is gonna be cheaper!!) Have the regulations printed out as some mail clerks could panic.

I'll let others speak to C&R issues, I can never keep track of 'em (mostly because I haven't gotten into C&R stuff yet).