PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Gun Bills up for a vote?

CowboyShooter
08-06-2008, 8:06 AM
I just received this NRA-ILA Alert... do your part and contact the committee members TODAY

Three California Anti-Gun Bills Could Be Considered Tomorrow!
Please Contact the Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee Today!

Three anti-gun bills have been placed in the suspense file due to cost constraints, however they could possibly be resurrected during a special Senate Appropriations Committee hearing scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday, August 7.

Assembly Bill 2062 would require an individual to possess a license to purchase ammunition, require vendors to keep a detailed record of the transaction, and simply ban mail or internet ammunition orders.

Assembly Bill 2235 would ban the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by an authorized user.

Assembly Bill 2948 would prohibit the sale of firearms and ammunition on the property or inside the buildings that comprise the Cow Palace.

Please contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose these anti-freedom measures. Contact information for the Senate Appropriations Committee is below.

SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE:

State Senator Tom Torlakson (Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4007
Fax: (916) 445-2527

State Senator Dave Cox (Vice Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4001
Fax: (916) 324-2680

State Senator Samuel Aanestad
Phone: (916) 651-4004
Fax: (916) 445-7750

State Senator Roy Ashburn
Phone: (916) 651-4018
Fax: (916) 322-3304

State Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Phone: (916) 651-4022
Fax: (916) 327-8817

State Senator Ellen Corbett
Phone: (916) 651-4010
Fax: (916) 327-2433

State Senator Robert Dutton
Phone: (916) 651-4031
Fax: (916) 327-2272

State Senator Dean Florez
Phone: (916) 651-4016
Fax: (916) 327-5989

State Senator Sheila Kuehl
Phone: (916) 651-4023
Fax: (916) 324-4823
senator.kuehl@sen.ca.gov

State Senator Jenny Oropeza
Phone: (916) 651-4028
Fax: (916) 323-6056

State Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas
Phone: (916) 651-4026
Fax: (916) 445-8899

State Senator George Runner
Phone: (916) 651-4017
Fax: (916) 445-4662

State Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: (916) 651-4011
Fax: (916) 323-4529

State Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: (916) 651-4038
Fax: (916) 446-7382

State Senator Leland Yee
Phone: (916) 651-4008
Fax: (916) 327-2186

bwiese
08-06-2008, 10:20 AM
OK folks, time to "war-dial" again.

Keep those phone lines hot (faxes and emails help too).

enduro4fun
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I called the senators offices on the list. Alot of the staffers answering the phone told me either the senator is apposed to those bills, or the senator opposes any bill that infringes opn the 2nd amendment:D

Paladin
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Done!

Total amount of time: less than 15 minutes -- a drop in the bucket compared to the total amount of time many of us spend on this forum.

The first thing to do is to check the list to see if your state senator is on the committee. If so, call them first. That way if the other senators' aids tell you that their senator is not your state senator, you can tell them either: (a) that you already called your state senator, or (b) that your state senator is not on the committee and thus cannot vote on the bill at this time. Then you can educate that aid by telling them that their senator, when acting on the committee, is acting on behalf of the entire state senate, and thus on the behalf of the citizens of the entire state, including you, and not just their own district. So you have a right to tell them what you want them to do re. a specific piece of legislation and they have a duty to listen to your concerns.

Too often we forget that making these calls is one of the most important things we can do to improve our 2nd A RKBA in CA. Even if the bill is something we really don't care that much about -- I haven't been to the Cow Palace in probably 20 yrs -- this flexing of the NRA's muscle in CA will increase its clout on other issues and increase Ed Worley's (the NRA's Sacto lobbyist) clout when he comes a calling.

Related: 5,000 calls that come in on one day is a lot more intimidating to politicians than 5,000 calls that trickle in over a week or two. The more disciplined we become when the NRA asks us to act, the stronger the NRA is in Sacto, and the more they can accomplish for us in return.

csmintel
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I called the senators offices on the list. Alot of the staffers answering the phone told me either the senator is apposed to those bills, or the senator opposes any bill that infringes opn the 2nd amendment:D

bulls...t. keep calling people! Whatever the aid says it doesn't mean anything. There is no responsibility here for them. Just demand to talk to your representative or tell them that you will not send them back to work to senate next elections!

Paladin
08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I called the senators offices on the list. Alot of the staffers answering the phone told me either the senator is apposed to those bills, or the senator opposes any bill that infringes opn the 2nd amendment:DWhen they say that, I just say "I'm glad to hear that. Be sure to let the senator know that the NRA is alive and active in California and that we'll support them as long as they support our causes." Friendly, but w/a veiled threat.

IMC87
08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Assembly Bill 2235 would ban the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by an authorized user.

How would that work?

jumbopanda
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM

How would that work?

It basically bans all handguns because "smart handgun" technology does not exist.

nicki
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Making the calls isn't that painful, really. In fact, it was fun.

Get a cell phone with unlimited minutes/long distance and it is cheap too:43:

Each of us has our own unique concerns with the bills.

I am going to strongly suggest that all of us stay away from talking about our gun rights and instead focus on other issues. Those who are pro gun are solid.

A few years ago Santa Clara gun rights activists killed a proposed county gun ordinance by focusing on costs and got a 3 to 5 vote to kill a sweeping countywide gun control ordinance by focusing on money.

State Sen Joe Simitian. a Dem, was a supervisor at that time who was one of the 3 guys who voted correctly.

State Sen Leland Yeh is from San Fran, but the San Fan Prop H (handgun ban) got most of its support from only 2 districts, the Castro and the Tenderloin. We may be able to sway him into at least a non-vote.

The state has a budget crisis, we need to focus on balancing the budget rather than focus attention on divisive social issues.

Look at where money won't be going to if the state is tied up in litigation.

I made a point that these bills will create years of civil lawsuits and could cost the state billions.

In hindsight, I should have said that if these bills pass, John McCain will win.
The Republicans will say good, the Dems will freak:eek:

Other ideas I may suggest, pick one, pick all or do something else.

I know my suggestions are all emotional, but emotion sells 24X more than logic. Like it or not, our emotions control us.

I guess some of you could pose as Obama Supporters:eek: and say that this bills will hurt his election because these bills will get gun owners in other states out to vote.

Obama will have to defend these bills.

We can always go, for the children. Money spent in litigation could be better spent to help our education system rather than needless civil lawsuits.

We can always go for those who lack health care, money spent in litigation could be better spent to provide health services for those who have none.

CCWFacts
08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Called mine:

"Are these the gun bills?"

"Yeah."

"We've been getting a lot of calls."

torquemada055
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I called, it wont matter, the Dems control both houses and Arnie is their friend not ours.

nicki
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Arnie has bigger things to worry about, like a balanced state budget.

I would hope that these bills don't hit his desk, but I wouldn't give up hope.

All of us should consider getting cell phones with 24/7 unlimited minutes.

Personal phone calls and/or handwritten letters are most effective when dealing with our legislatures anyway.

Nicki

Equalizer2
08-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Called, and sent a one click email also.

Equalizer2
08-06-2008, 2:29 PM
Just Heard on KFI News, Arnold will veto all bills until he has a budget he can sign.

Anthonysmanifesto
08-06-2008, 2:32 PM
this is the closing stretch... all the really bad billls are in senate approps right now...

its slow in the capitol- give them someone to talk to!

AfricanHunter
08-06-2008, 2:43 PM
Called and sent a one click. Got the following responses back from Senator Runner. If only we had more like him....

Thank you for your correspondence expressing your opposition to Assembly Bill 2062 (DeLeon), which would require, beginning July 1, 2009, that any person who sells or transfers more than 50 rounds of handgun ammunition in any month to register as a handgun ammunition vendor, and authorizes, beginning March 1, 2011, any person 21 years of age or older to obtain a handgun ammunition purchase permit.

I oppose this bill because I believe it creates another layer of burdensome regulations on both businesses and gun owners. Like other gun control regulations, this bill will burden only law abiding gun owners, not criminals, who will continue to purchase guns and ammunition by non-legal means. In fact, a similar program was tried and abandoned in the 1960’s after it was found to have no impact on crime rates.

While the Democrats in the Capitol continue to resist tougher sentencing law that would effectively keep violent felons off the street, they push for stricter gun laws that would make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to protect themselves. I believe this is the wrong approach and will continue to fight for right for law abiding citizens to own guns.

AB 2062 passed Senate Public Safety 3-2, with all Democrats supporting the bill and both Republicans against the bill. It will next be heard in Senate Appropriations Committee. Please be assured that I will keep your comments in mind as this piece of legislation moves through the political process and comes to the Senate Floor. You may also monitor the progress of the bill at www.sen.ca.gov/runner.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding legislative issues of concern to you. It is an honor to serve you in the California State Senate.

Sincerely,

GEORGE C. RUNNER, JR.
Senator, 17th District

P.S. If you’d to like to receive my newsletter, Runner’s Week in Review, please join my email list at www.sen.ca.gov/runner.

Dear Mr. Gaffen:

Thank you also for your correspondence in opposition of Assembly Bill 2235 (DeSaulnier), which would require handguns to operate only when the owner or another licensed user attempted to use it.

You may be pleased to know that I oppose this bill as well because it places unnecessary restrictions on guns that will be easily circumvented by criminals and other people who wish to use guns offensively. The bill would only stop those who legally use their firearms in self-defense, and would create unnecessary problems for people attempting to defend themselves in moments of crisis.

While the Democrats in the Capitol continue to resist tougher sentencing laws to keep violent felons off the street, they push for stricter gun laws that would make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to protect themselves. I believe this is the wrong approach, and I will continue to fight for the right of law abiding citizens to own guns.

Gun control laws create another layer of burdensome regulations on both businesses and citizens. Gun control regulations burden only law-abiding gun owners, not criminals, who will continue to buy guns and ammunition by illegal means.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding legislative issues of concern to you. It is an honor to serve you in the California State Senate.

Sincerely,

GEORGE C. RUNNER, JR.
Senator, 17th District

P.S. If you’d to like to receive my newsletter, Runner’s Week in Review, please join my email list at www.sen.ca.gov/runner.

jumbopanda
08-06-2008, 2:47 PM
Just Heard on KFI News, Arnold will veto all bills until he has a budget he can sign.

I just heard that too. Hopefully it will work in our advantage.

Josh3239
08-06-2008, 2:48 PM
Called and sent a one click. Got the following responses back from Senator Runner. If only we had more like him....

I got the same message back from Sen. Runner, still haven't heard anything from the rest of the committee for several weeks. Looks like we know where the rest of them stand :rolleyes:

ProlificARProspect
08-06-2008, 2:53 PM
Called, Had to do it, JM2C

Equalizer2
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
BTT