PDA

View Full Version : Lead ammo ban, dove hunting ?

elsolo
08-06-2008, 6:21 AM
I read the DFG FAQ on the lead ammo ban, as I understand it, it only pertains to specified big game (deer, elk, etc) and "non-game" such as coyotes and ground squirrels.

Upland bird hunting (of doves and quail) is uneffected, right? I don't need to buy expensive duck shot now?

How does it effect crows?

nothing4u
08-06-2008, 8:03 AM
Crows fall under non-game so you cannot use lead shot. Quail and dove you can use lead shot even in lead free Condor range.

Gunaria
08-06-2008, 9:59 AM
The lead ammo ban only pertains to hunting in the lead ammo ban area/zone. Where do you plan on going dove hunting at?

elsolo
08-06-2008, 8:39 PM
Uusally dove hunt near Blythe.

sargenv
08-06-2008, 8:43 PM
Since when do crow fall under non-game when there is a set limit of 24 per day? Or are you getting this out of the fish and game regs? If so I stand corrected..

Gunaria
08-06-2008, 9:35 PM
Uusally dove hunt near Blythe.

If you are dove hunting near Blythe then there is nothing to worry about. Use the same old lead ammo that you have been using for years.

nothing4u
08-08-2008, 8:30 AM
Since when do crow fall under non-game when there is a set limit of 24 per day? Or are you getting this out of the fish and game regs? If so I stand corrected..

Crows are not listed in game species in 07/08 Waterfowl and Upland Regs

257. Resident Small Game Defined.
“Resident small game” means the following
resident game birds: Chinese spotted doves,
Eurasian collared-doves, ringed turtle-doves of the
family Columbidae, California quail and varieties
thereof, Gambel’s or desert quail, mountain quail
and varieties thereof, blue grouse and varieties
thereof, ruffed grouse, sage grouse (sage hens),
white-tailed ptarmigan, Hungarian partridges, redlegged
partridges, including the chukar and other
varieties, ring-necked pheasants and varieties,
and wild turkeys of the order Galliformes; and the
following game mammals: jackrabbits and varying
hares (genus Lepus), cottontail rabbits, brush
rabbits, pigmy rabbits (genus Sylvilagus), and tree
squirrels (genus Sciurus and Tamiasciurus).

But listed as nongame in 08-09 Mammal regs

Nongame Animals
472. General Provisions. Paragraph D

RobG
08-08-2008, 3:20 PM
From the CA DFG:

After nearly a full year of public testimony, discussion, and environmental analyses, the Fish and Game Commission modified the Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game (Section 353, Title 14, CCR) in December, 2007 to prohibit the use of projectiles containing lead for hunting deer, bear, wild pig, elk, and pronghorn antelope in areas designated as California condor range. Modifications to Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) were also adopted to prohibit the use of lead projectiles in the same areas when hunting coyotes, ground squirrels, and other non-game wildlife. These regulations become effective July 1, 2008.

If you hunt in this area, you will be required to use nonlead projectiles to hunt big-game and non-game species beginning July 1, 2008. In addition, while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition.

NOTE! Lead Projectiles are still legal for hunting upland game species within the nonlead zone