PDA

View Full Version : More News from DC

Ding126
08-05-2008, 2:02 PM
http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7139261&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Encouraging :)

bohoki
08-05-2008, 2:05 PM
yep i felt like a dog when someone was yelling snausages

then i went back to my "the cake is a lie" mentality

CCWFacts
08-05-2008, 2:06 PM
I'm upset that they didn't put in a shall-issue reform as well. If they're ramming this thing through Congress, against the wishes of DC, they might as well go all the way and bring it up to the emerging national standard. In fact, Congress should have a particular interest in this: I'm sure there are plenty of conservative legislators and their staff who would like some way to pack in DC, something which is nearly impossible right now.

sorensen440
08-05-2008, 2:14 PM
That does seem promising and I agree with ccwfacts it would have been nice to have shall issue reform added

dfletcher
08-05-2008, 2:15 PM
Lots of other interesting information there also, thanks for the link.

As I read it, Nancy Pelosi (one of the "house leaders I presume) has agreed to allow the House to vote on whether or not certain post Heller restrictions should be lifted and that the legislation was sponsored by "conservative democrats". Maybe I'm too skeptical, but here wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement that the bill will pass, either in the House or Senate.

I wonder what implications a vote on this bill has with respect to whether Congress, and the Dems specifically, will vote pro or anti gun on future gun bills? I know the conventional wisdom is many of the Dems are conservative & progun - but Dem President & Dem Congress has to equal bad news for us so far as I'm concerned. Am I wrong?

If they are at all progun, shouldn't this just fly through with approval?

Ding126
08-05-2008, 2:24 PM
Tell Nancy Pelosi we want our gun rights and CCW in CA. and we won't drill for oil :cool:

dilligaffrn
08-05-2008, 2:24 PM
House Leaders To Vote On Bill to End New D.C. Gun Laws
Last Edited: Tuesday, 05 Aug 2008, 11:54 AM EDT
Created: Tuesday, 05 Aug 2008, 11:54 AM EDT
Washington D.C. Gun Ban

WASHINGTON -- House leaders have agreed to allow a vote next month on a bill that would end local handgun control in the District of Columbia.

The measure was filed last week by several conservative Democrats, and supporters say it has a good chance of passing the House. Its prospects in the Senate are unclear.

The Supreme Court struck down the city's 32-year-old handgun ban in June. Since then, D.C. lawmakers have passed emergency legislation that maintains strict regulations.

The House bill seeks to eliminate those measures.

The legislation would allow D.C. residents to own handguns without registering them with police if they meet federal requirements for firearms ownership.

The bill also would end a requirement that owners keep their handguns unloaded and disassembled in their homes and would repeal the city's ban on most semiautomatic handguns.

Nice

Glock22Fan
08-05-2008, 2:36 PM
I thought that "The Right People" didn't want this bill, as it would further our agenda more if Heller wins his current case and the courts blast DC council?

As I understood it, this bill cuts the grounds from Heller's new case but would affect only DC, with no spin off in the form of court precedents that we want to help other lawsuits.

That's why so many dems are supporting it. Hello? what they want isn't good for us, and you know it.

CHS
08-05-2008, 2:43 PM
I thought that "The Right People" didn't want this bill, as it would further our agenda more if Heller wins his current case and the courts blast DC council?

As I understood it, this bill cuts the grounds from Heller's new case but would affect only DC, with no spin off in the form of court precedents that we want to help other lawsuits.

That's why so many dems are supporting it. Hello? what they want isn't good for us, and you know it.

I disagree. This sets a nice precedent.

When guns were a 'collective' right and the NRA pretty much stuck themselves with just being a lobbying group, the anti-freedom crowd had a field day, banning whatever whenever they could and making life miserable for gun owners.

Now that we have the full force of the Constitution and Supreme Court on our side, and the NRA is now taking legal action rather than just lobbying, the anti-freedom crowd is scared.

We can all wait around patiently for a few years for incorporation, or the other side can just start dropping cases like mad.

Either way is a win.

It might be longer for incorporation this way, but it means that legislation starts dropping from the books NOW rather than after incorporation.

CCWFacts
08-05-2008, 2:52 PM

It would demolish the Heller II case. He will have no standing.

That's the only reason why the House leadership (Pelosi) would support this bill. That's probably also why it doesn't have a shall-issue provision. If they really wanted to help DC gun owners, and bring DC into line with the rest of the US, it would have a shall-issue provision. But no, Pelosi will only support a case that does the bare minimum to derail the Heller II case.

Glock22Fan
08-05-2008, 3:13 PM
I disagree. This sets a nice precedent.

A bill passed for Washington D.C., which is directly governed by Congress, sets no legal precedent for the states, which aren't, whereas a win in Heller II could be carried right up the system to the point where even our circuit had to take notice.

hoffmang
08-05-2008, 3:14 PM
I know of no one on our side that wouldn't actually prefer to have Congress moot the Heller II case. There are only small gains to be had on the follow up case and its more important to remind Senate and House Democrats that the gun issue can still remove them from power (or help them keep it.) The only minor item Heller II can bring is judicial recognition of semiautomatics - but we've probably already got that.

Passage in the Senate isn't as clear, hence our side is in court and in the legislature on this.

-Gene

Glock22Fan
08-05-2008, 3:26 PM
I know of no one on our side that wouldn't actually prefer to have Congress moot the Heller II case. There are only small gains to be had on the follow up case and its more important to remind Senate and House Democrats that the gun issue can still remove them from power (or help them keep it.) The only minor item Heller II can bring is judicial recognition of semiautomatics - but we've probably already got that.

Passage in the Senate isn't as clear, hence our side is in court and in the legislature on this.

-Gene

My apologies, I was taking my lead from something that I thought you or Bill had said in a different thread. This is one case where I am glad to be wrong.

I still find it hard to think that Pelosi is doing something we approve of.

sorensen440
08-05-2008, 3:29 PM

Shes a politician so at times she has to throw out a bone to gun owners regardless of her personal beliefs

hoffmang
08-05-2008, 3:36 PM

If she doesn't let the blue dog Dems protect their seats, she is not going to remain Speaker.

-Gene

CCWFacts
08-05-2008, 3:38 PM
Shes a politician so at times she has to throw out a bone to gun owners regardless of her personal beliefs

I actually don't believe that. Democrats have repeatedly, knowingly thrown away presidencies and control of congress so they can have the joy of passing even trivial gun regulations. Gore would have won in 2000 if he hadn't been so passionately anti-gun-rights. Kerry would have won in 2004 if he hadn't taken on the NRA. Are these guys looking back on their failure to achieve the presidency, and thinking, "I wish I had been an NRA member and gotten their endorsement"? I don't know. I think they have no regrets.

Gun control is like heroin for these guys. They know it's bad for them but they can't stop themselves.

Glock22Fan
08-05-2008, 3:48 PM
This is the thread where Bill and Gene seemed to take the attitude that I thought they took. Maybe I read too much into it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1367582#post1367582

CHS
08-05-2008, 4:06 PM
A bill passed for Washington D.C., which is directly governed by Congress, sets no legal precedent for the states, which aren't, whereas a win in Heller II could be carried right up the system to the point where even our circuit had to take notice.

Ok, you misunderstood. I didn't mean setting an actual legal precedent. Just a good precedent, a good example of the anti-gunners finally being a little bit afraid of the 2A.

Them: "Hey, lets enact some GUN CONTROL"
Us: "Hi, you're being served a lawsuit by the NRA"
Them: "Crap, lets just drop this rather than fight it"

We're seeing all these politicians fold and drop cases, and I think that can be ONLY a good thing.

Nevermore
08-05-2008, 4:16 PM
Also, it lets those "conservative Democrats" boast to their constituents that they're pro-gun over the next couple of months leading up to the election. The Dems want to maintain control of the House; going into gun-ho gun ban mode will threaten those "conservative Democrats"' seats.

By allowing those Democrats to introduce legislation, Pelosi gives them a bragging rights in their home communities. Campaign flyer: "Not only does Elan Douchebaggins support gun rights, he sponsored a bill to stop DC from restricting Americans like you of their Second Amendment rights." You think Pelosi wants the Republican candidates in those districts to bragging rights to introducing the legislation?

Liberty1
08-05-2008, 5:43 PM
I know of no one on our side that wouldn't actually prefer to have Congress moot the Heller II case.
-Gene

And "our team" in Washington gets to move on to the next set of 2nd A. issues sooner; Carry outside of the home, etc...!

hoffmang
08-05-2008, 5:47 PM
Glock22,

As I had said in that thread - its now a race between Congress stripping DC of their home rule authority over guns and the legal team. Either way, DC's going to loose. I'd prefer to have our legal team's time released to work on incorporation and all the other interesting cases in the states and cities.

-Gene

Ding126
08-05-2008, 5:56 PM
Exactly..Time is on our side. The more laws that are reversed or eliminated across the country makes the Ca movement stronger.

I think it may be beneficial to recover our rights piece by piece rather than going in full bore and trying to remove everything at once.

Take back a piece at at time and in time it will be one BIG accomplishment. Do to them as they did to us.

Meplat
08-05-2008, 6:06 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of conservative legislators and their staff who would like some way to pack in DC, something which is nearly impossible right now.

Silly rabbit those laws are for the little people.:p

Meplat
08-05-2008, 6:14 PM
Damn! That's a good definition of a veteran.