PDA

View Full Version : AB2062 In Suspense File?

tomcat11
08-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I thought I heard it's in the suspense file, can anyone confirm?

NRA rep brought up an excellent point in the Senate App Committe meeting that no cost analysis existed for the identification of all of the ammo dealers or DOJ's role in assuring stores/dealers are and will continue to be compliant with the bill. In other words not all costs have been considered.

RRangel
08-04-2008, 1:50 PM
Don't count on it. Always be vigilant. Keep contacting the relevant parties in the appropriations committee. This state has proven that wasting taxpayer money will not stop them.

Solidmch
08-04-2008, 9:04 PM
They are on a 5 week vacation. It might get ghost voted by DeLeaon the day before they get back.

hoffmang
08-05-2008, 12:08 AM
2062 came up for vote today and was pretty immediately sent to the suspense file for an 8/7 hearing.

-Gene

IGOTDIRT4U
08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
2062 came up for vote today and was pretty immediately sent to the suspense file for an 8/7 hearing.

-Gene

Cool. Almost dead. They have bigger issues before the end of the current session. Doubt they get back to it.

hill billy
08-05-2008, 1:21 PM
Cool. Almost dead. They have bigger issues before the end of the current session. Doubt they get back to it.

Man, I sure enough hope you're right. My fingers are worn out from letter writing.:(

chris
08-05-2008, 2:00 PM

deleon will ghost vote it again while everyone is gone. do not take for granted the budget issue. this one they WANT BAD. anyway to screw gun owners they will find time.

hoffmang
08-05-2008, 2:04 PM
I just found out that I was incorrect. AB 2062 is not on suspense but was amended (pretty trivially) and will return to appropriations.

-Gene

IGOTDIRT4U
08-05-2008, 3:59 PM
deleon will ghost vote it again while everyone is gone. do not take for granted the budget issue. this one they WANT BAD. anyway to screw gun owners they will find time.

While they are racing at a snail's pace for the budget, the race is on to get incorporation. They can pass this, but even on existing law, this will be a costly fight for the State to save the bill, and even they are smart enough to know that if incorporation hits, the law is gone, unless they want to challenge THAT too.

Yes, deleon may try a trick, but who knows. Maybe they wise up. (ok, who the fudge am I kidding)

chris
08-05-2008, 5:38 PM
While they are racing at a snail's pace for the budget, the race is on to get incorporation. They can pass this, but even on existing law, this will be a costly fight for the State to save the bill, and even they are smart enough to know that if incorporation hits, the law is gone, unless they want to challenge THAT too.

Yes, deleon may try a trick, but who knows. Maybe they wise up. (ok, who the fudge am I kidding)

yes incorporation is a priority.do you honestly think that this guy cares. pass the law and let the courts sort it out. sound familiar? SB23 is that law. this one is no different. and why are they draggin on the budget they think republicans will cave and allow taxe increases. arnie proposed a 1 percent tax increase. they want this law and get it passed while most are paying attention to the budget. deleon is a snake and needs to be stepped on and crushed. this law is bad bad bad period and should be stopped before the governator signs it.

bulgron
08-05-2008, 6:16 PM
should be stopped before the governator signs it.

What makes people so sure that Schwarzenegger will sign this bill?

His signing of the Microstamping and Lead Ammo Ban last year was political payback for some stuff that supposed pro-gun organizations (NOT the NRA) pulled.

hoffmang
08-05-2008, 6:41 PM

His signing of the Microstamping and Lead Ammo Ban last year was political payback for some stuff that supposed pro-gun organizations (NOT the NRA) pulled.

More to the point though - why should we take the chance? Let's make sure it doesn't even get to his desk which is quite achievable on this bill this year.

-Gene

mikehaas
08-06-2008, 6:08 PM
Don't forget to check the California NRA Members' Council website for information of this nature...
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml

I receive the info from Ed and Paul at the capitol and it gets put up ASAP. I posted this info at 11 PM last night...

08/05/2008 - Today, these bills were put on the suspense file in the Senate Appropriations Committee because of cost. Still, they could be taken off the suspense file and come up for a vote on Thursday, Aug 7th, in a Special Senate Appropriations Committee hearing. Continue to contact the Senate Appropriations Committee and urge a NO vote if they should come up.

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2062&year=2008
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab2235&year=2008

ONE-CLICK link:
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml#oneclick

chris
08-06-2008, 6:35 PM

i sure as hell hope he does not sign it. i don't trust him after last years screwing. i'am very well aware of who screwed us. we cannot be too carefull when a bad bill like AB2062 could become law. hopefully the pro gun organizations keep their big mouths shut and let this bill get defeated.

hill billy
08-06-2008, 6:38 PM
I heard today that our fearless Austrian leader has refused to sign any bills until a budget is settled. Does this mean that if it doesn't come out tomorrow that it is dead?

kdm
08-06-2008, 8:41 PM
Dead? Long term, probably not. It'll just get reworded next year...and the year after...and the year after...until it's passed. IIRC, AB2062 is a reworked AB3-something-something, which was killed last year.

Equalizer2
08-06-2008, 9:26 PM
I heard today that our fearless Austrian leader has refused to sign any bills until a budget is settled. Does this mean that if it doesn't come out tomorrow that it is dead? No, it's still very much alive. Calls and Fax's to Senate Appropriations tomorrow are still needed.we want to stop these bills in appropriations.

hoffmang
08-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Dead? Long term, probably not. It'll just get reworded next year...and the year after...and the year after...until it's passed. IIRC, AB2062 is a reworked AB3-something-something, which was killed last year.

Things are going to change at the end of this year. I expect we'll get incorporation out of Nordyke and that will cause two changes. Future versions of this bill will have "may be unconstitutional" in their legislative analysis. Further, should it pass in the future after incorporation we'd be much more able to get a preliminary injunction against it.

Once the 9th Circuit says that the 2A applies to California (and it will) then it will be much easier for legislators on the fence on bills like this to say and vote no on them.

Bottom line. If we beat it this year it just might never come back or come back very far at all. Dumb stuff will get introduced but go nowhere.

-Gene

colt 45
08-07-2008, 1:43 PM
No, it's still very much alive. Calls and Fax's to Senate Appropriations tomorrow are still needed.we want to stop these bills in appropriations.

I have called and voiced my view to these folks,but when you ask the person how the senator stands on these bills they say they do not know how the senator stands, for some of them anyway.what does this say.Sort of scares me.
Pete

GW
08-07-2008, 8:45 PM
Just so I am clear on this...
If 2062 doesn't pass by next Friday, Its dead for 2008. But it can still be dragged up again in 2009.
Right?:confused:

H Paul Payne
08-07-2008, 8:56 PM
Just so I am clear on this...
If 2062 doesn't pass by next Friday, Its dead for 2008. But it can still be dragged up again in 2009.
Right?:confused:

All bills that do not pass, by the end of the two-year legislative session, are dead and gone. EVERYTHING starts fresh at the beginning of each two-year legislative session. NOTHING is held over.

Paul

BroncoBob
08-07-2008, 9:13 PM
When do they start the next two-year legislative session?

BroncoBob
08-08-2008, 3:58 PM
Good news guys AB2062 and AB2235 are dead for now.

:party:

NEWS: AB2062, AB2235 dead - let's make sure they stay that way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like AB2062 and AB2235 are dead.
Let's keep things going to avoid any last-minute exceptional resurrections...

From Paul Payne of NRA, in Sacto:

---------------------------------------------------------------
RE: AB2062 & AB2235

The Senate Appropriations Committee adjourned today after taking-up the "Suspense File" of assembly bills.

Senate staff has confirmed that this was the last Senate Appropriations Committee hearing for this legislative session. Per Senate rules, these bills (and all others failing to pass out of committee) cannot be considered for the remainder of this legislative session.

However, we should continue to keep-up-the-pressure on the legislature, so they won't be inclined to grant special "rule waivers" that would allow special reconsideration of these failed legislative attempts.

GREAT JOB! You have all performed a fantastic service for all of us, in defense of the Second Amendment.

Paul Payne