PDA

View Full Version : Leupold 4 CQT scope

battleship
08-03-2008, 8:27 PM
Anybody have any experience with this scope, im considering getting one, it has 4x magnification in a compact size and it is relatively cheap compared to a Acog.

USN CHIEF
08-03-2008, 8:28 PM
I have one on one of my AR's and I love it. It is pretty accurate and maintains good zero all the time. have not had any issues what so ever and the 1AA battery has lasted two years already.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/USNMAC/My%20Toys/DSCN0207.jpg

PolishMike
08-03-2008, 8:43 PM
I have one on one of my AR's and I love it. It is pretty accurate and maintains good zero all the time. have not had any issues what so ever and the 1AA battery has lasted two years already.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/USNMAC/My%20Toys/DSCN0207.jpg

Huh.. that ar looks oddly familiar... like ive seen it somewhere before...

battleship
08-03-2008, 8:43 PM
Ar ha, an expert, so chief, how does the system work?

I was looking at a used one yesterday, but it had know instructions with it, when looking threw it all i could see was a black dot in a circle, does this chevron change with a different seeting.

Is the 1 threw 4 magnification adjustable or fixed at 4X.

It would seem from your very nice set up there is possibly a lazer attached to the scope I can see a cable to a remote switch winding round, or is that just something to do with the scope itself.

m24armorer
08-03-2008, 8:48 PM
A bit high on the scope from the pics. Then again it's hard to tell.

USN CHIEF
08-03-2008, 8:49 PM
I have some two other AR's Mike, two of them are complete and the other one is just the OLL, want to buy one?

BB.. The scope has the dial settings on top. You can change it from black to amber or you can dial it for it to be used with NVG's. As far as the magnification goes, it does go from 1 to 4 very smoothly.
And yes, I do have a laser attached to it. The way I see it, if you have the real state, might as well use it.

Here is another pic..

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/USNMAC/At%20the%20range/100_2478.jpg

Guntech
08-03-2008, 8:50 PM
Damn you and your AW's Chief! :p

PolishMike
08-03-2008, 8:50 PM
I have some two other AR's Mike, two of them are complete and the other one is just the OLL, want to buy one?

Actually I did just buy two uppers....

USN CHIEF
08-03-2008, 8:55 PM
Actually I did just buy two uppers....

I posted pics of them at the thread about nothing. I was going to sale them but decided not to. Go check it out:D:p

battleship
08-03-2008, 8:55 PM
Ok im sold on it, im getting one. thanks for the picture.

PolishMike
08-03-2008, 8:59 PM
I posted pics of them at the thread about nothing. I was going to sale them but decided not to. Go check it out:D:p

I thought you had a rule to never sell your guns...?

List of what i bought so far this summer -

Stag 2HT upper
Para Ordnance P18.9
M11/9 kit
Armalite upper
GSG-5 +accessories
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 (didnt get the IOR)
Rings, base
Couple cases of ammo (almost gone now - just got it for the summer)

Any more and I wont be able to fit it all in my car in one trip

USN CHIEF
08-03-2008, 9:03 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about me not wanting to sell any of my guns, but I came across these guns and needed to make room in my safe, so I decided to part with them but then decided not to sell them..

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/USNMAC/DSCN0279.jpg

Saigon1965
08-03-2008, 9:04 PM
What's the weight of that scope?

PolishMike
08-03-2008, 9:06 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about me not wanting to sell any of my guns, but I came across these guns and needed to make room in my safe, so I decided to part with them but then decided not to sell them..

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/USNMAC/DSCN0279.jpg

hahaaahhaha Thanks a bunch :)

What's the weight of that scope?

Scope? This thread is about a scope?

Gunsrruss
08-03-2008, 9:12 PM
It didn't work for me. I couldn't seem to get to 200yds with it,so I sent it back. I purchased the Aimpoint 2x for $430 or so. Battery last 10,000 hrs. Had a six inch group at 200yds with their red dot in the 10 and X ring. I consider that a good buy. It will be my up close scope,
Russell:)

battleship
08-03-2008, 9:35 PM
Well my AR is 7.62x39 caliber so anything beyound 200 yards or 150 for that matter and i feel it would not be that accurate as a weapon due to that particular bullet , but im just going on what i can shoot at and hit with iron sights, at the range, im just shooting out to 50 yards and that has been a struggle with iron sights. im hoping CQT will give me caperble range to the limits of the 7.62x39 bullet.

USN CHIEF
08-03-2008, 9:46 PM
You should be able to hit targets at 100 yards without a problem with that scope. Human size targets up to 300 yards.

battleship
08-03-2008, 9:54 PM
Thats good to know, now were did i put my list of humans.

randy
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
There are many many better scopes out there. It's heavy, sits too high, doesn't lend itself to ranging as well as other scopes out there.

If you buy one don't start looking through other scopes you will be disapointed.

Better options are Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4 power$500.00, Meopta Meostar 1 to 4 $700. If you want to save some money even the Millet DMS1? 1 to 4 is better and it's only a couple of hundred bucks. The Leupold Mk4 1.5 to5 power is a way better scope. They make a couple of models even the cheap model is much better.

The CQT scope came out years ago and started making inroads to 3 gun which is where it should shine. It didn't last long and now you almost don't see them at all. There are too many better options out there look around.

Ask Prowler, Bear308, Regligous Shooter, USCbigdog, TMC, or AR15 I bet they all have the same answer about not getting one.

Years ago I was all set to buy one but was talked out of it by one of the top shooters.

randy
08-03-2008, 10:12 PM
You should be able to hit targets at 100 yards without a problem with that scope. Human size targets up to 300 yards.

USNChief is telling you it's not a good scope. With the scopes I talked about you'll be shooting 8" plates at 300 yards and still beable to turn the power down for the close stuff.

saki302
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I got a deal on mine and am very happy with it. The only downside I see is that it's on the heavy side.. Other than that, I have looked through many other optics, and am deifinitely not disappointed.

The one thing you need to change is the factory mount- get the QR mount for it. The OEM mount is a bit cheesy. The QR mount raises it high enough to clear my back-up sights just barely, which works out perfect, IMO.

I had a Trijicon accupoint 3-9x years ago and didn't like it too much. I never cared much for the chevron reticle over the post. IMO, the Leupold optics seem sharper/brighter, but it's been years since I had the Trijicon..

-Dave

J_Rock
08-04-2008, 1:55 AM
Its a decent low power variable scope. If you are looking for a 200 yard scope I suggest a higher magnification. Also the illumination isnt that great and is pretty much useless during the day.

aplinker
08-04-2008, 2:16 AM
I'm in agreement with this, below.

It's a nice scope, but overpriced, and there are much better options out there. That doesn't mean if you had it that it wouldn't work, just that you could make better choices for your $.

If you don't need any ranging, get the Accupoint - price and triangle reticle are bright and fast.

If you want to range, then it becomes a cost question - all the way up to the Short Dot and Elcan SpectreDR

There are many many better scopes out there. It's heavy, sits too high, doesn't lend itself to ranging as well as other scopes out there.

If you buy one don't start looking through other scopes you will be disapointed.

Better options are Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4 power$500.00, Meopta Meostar 1 to 4 $700. If you want to save some money even the Millet DMS1? 1 to 4 is better and it's only a couple of hundred bucks. The Leupold Mk4 1.5 to5 power is a way better scope. They make a couple of models even the cheap model is much better.

The CQT scope came out years ago and started making inroads to 3 gun which is where it should shine. It didn't last long and now you almost don't see them at all. There are too many better options out there look around.

Ask Prowler, Bear308, Regligous Shooter, USCbigdog, TMC, or AR15 I bet they all have the same answer about not getting one.

Years ago I was all set to buy one but was talked out of it by one of the top shooters.