PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinders - opinions?

theneko
08-02-2008, 2:57 PM
I hope this is the right place for this question since laser range finders are basically optics. I did some searching but didn't really find much and I know very little about them so any advice would be appreciated.

I am interested in a LRF for target shooting at the range. The range is only 200 yards max but it would help me to know the distance to target. I really don't know what features to look for and there seemed to be so many models (even in the same brand) that it was hard to decide. Budget would probably determine my options -- I don't like to go cheap, I want something with good optics that will last and will pay more for quality.

So, a few specific questions--
1. can a LRF also be used as a spotting scope or is that a bad idea?
2. are Bushnell's any good?
3. any recommendations under $250?
4. what about the $650 proce range - I heard that these are good?
* Leica LRF 900 or 1200
* Leupolds TBR (True Ballistic Rangfinding)
* Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30
5. what features should I look for in a LRF or do I really just need the simplest w/o the bells and whistles? I could see value in including angle in calculating the range - some of the targets at the range are up on a hill.

Thanks !

WOLFPACK117
08-02-2008, 6:31 PM
I have a Leica LRF 1200 scan. I always take mind when I go hunting and hiking. You can use it as a spotting scope. But, I don't think you will see the bullet holes from 200yrds and over.

Good glass, water resistant or proof, can scan good and give you a good reading.

AngelDecoys
08-02-2008, 7:23 PM
There's a lot here to read just for background information. The whole site is great but here's the link for an article in the optics section.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/rangefind_071107/index.html

theneko
08-03-2008, 9:39 AM
Thanks for the info, I will check out the ST article.

Cheers,
Neko