PDA

View Full Version : 3 Suspects Break In, Only 2 Get Out Alive: WOODLAND HILLS, CA!!

CALI-gula
08-02-2008, 1:08 AM
Let's see what the Anti-Second Amendment crowd might say about this?

And I wonder what kind of trigger lock the homeowner was utilizing at the time, just before the break-in, versus the trigger locks the intruders were surely using on their guns; obviously his was easier to remove than theirs, so he got the jump on them. :rolleyes:

3 Suspects Break In, Only 2 Get Out Alive

WOODLAND HILLS - A Woodland Hills homeowner shot and killed one of three suspects who burst into his home Friday afternoon in an apparent attempted home invasion robbery, police said.

The shootout between the resident and the suspects occurred in the 24000 block of Burbank Boulevard about 2:45 p.m., said Officer Jason Lee of the Los Angeles Police Department's Media Relations Section.

Tim Lynn, reporting for KCAL 9 overhead in Sky 9, said one suspect was taken into custody and that another was on the lam. By Friday evening, however, police were telling KCAL 9 and CBS 2 reporter Lisa Sigell that the man police took in as a suspect has been cleared of any involvement in the crime. They told Sigell that two suspects were still on the loose.

The homeowner reportedly shot the one suspect when he and the two others tried to kick down the front door of the single-family home. The suspect died at the scene.

A couple in their 60s and their two sons, both in their 20s, reportedly live in the home. Police said one of the sons fired the fatal shot. It is unclear if the suspects knew the homeowners or why their home was targeted. No one who lived in the home was injured during the invasion. The family is being interviewed reportedly at the West Valley Division station of the LAPD.

http://cbs2.com/local/Woodland.Hills.Deadly.2.785958.html

SkyMag68
08-02-2008, 1:29 AM
+1 for homeowner's son and -1 for robbers :D..

Fantasma
08-02-2008, 2:00 AM
HAHA!

:61: :owned:

PonchoTA
08-02-2008, 8:16 AM
HAHA!

:61: :owned:
Ditto! Good on them!

Big O
08-02-2008, 9:45 AM
One of the sons, who is in his 20s, was armed with a high-powered rifle, Lt. Brian Whitten said. The man opened fire on the intruders, killing Neal in the doorway.Update today in Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/114/story/1127370.html). They published the name of the dead perp. He drove all the way to Woodland Hills from Compton.
I wonder what this "high-powered rifle" is? I'd love to hear how it all went down.

mur
08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I wonder what this "high-powered rifle" is?
I bet if the dead guy had a high power rifle it would be called
an Assault rifle:p

HowardW56
08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Update today in Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/114/story/1127370.html). They published the name of the dead perp. He drove all the way to Woodland Hills from Compton.
I wonder what this "high-powered rifle" is? I'd love to hear how it all went down.

As opposed to a low or moderately powered rifle? Maybe his rifle has a supercharged V-8

RP1911
08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Let's just hope that if it was an AR/AK/FAL etc. it was either registered or CA compliant.

mister dize
08-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I hope the DA doesn't send the guy to jail for protecting his family.

HowardW56
08-02-2008, 11:15 AM
LOS ANGELES—Authorities early Saturday released the name of the armed man killed during a gunfight after he and two others allegedly broke into a home.

Los Angeles police officers, meanwhile, continued to search early Saturday for the other suspects.
Alexander Erion Neal, 20, of Compton, was shot to death Friday afternoon by a resident of the home in Woodland Hills, according to police and coroner's officials.
Neal and two other armed men had kicked in the door and were trying to rob the house, when they encountered an elderly couple and their adult sons, police said. One of the sons, who is in his 20s, was armed with a high-powered rifle, Lt. Brian Whitten said. The man opened fire on the intruders, killing Neal in the doorway.
At least one of the other suspects also might have fired a gun in the exchange, Whitten said.
The two other suspects took off, apparently in a silver sedan. Police detained a man about a block away but said he was not a suspect. The residents did not know the intruders and it was unclear why the house was targeted, police said.

I wonder why they drove 40 miles to do a home invasion....

MikeH1
08-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Much more to steal in Woodland Hills than Compton.

HowardW56
08-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Much more to steal in Woodland Hills than Compton.

True, but Beverly Hills, West LA, The Beach Cities and Palos Verdes are much closer...

Neil McCauley
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Awesome. Good hit for the son. Put yourself in that families shoes and its a sobering reminder that they all could of been killed had it not been for one of the sons to have the guts to stand up to an unknown intruder. Luckily it took the perps awhile to break in, giving them crucial seconds to get ready.

CCWFacts
08-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I hope the DA doesn't send the guy to jail for protecting his family.

From the way the article sounds, he won't.

Now, for the two surviving robbers, they will get charged with robbery, and with murder for the death of their companion. They'll get "use of a gun" enhancements on top of it. If they are felons, they could get "felon with a gun" enhancements. They will be in prison basically for life.

halifax
08-02-2008, 12:05 PM
From the way the article sounds, he won't.

Now, for the two surviving robbers, they will get charged with robbery, and with murder for the death of their companion. They'll get "use of a gun" enhancements on top of it. If they are felons, they could get "felon with a gun" enhancements. They will be in prison basically for life.

As they should be.

CALI-gula
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM

I suspect one reason is that the intruders found records or knew from some documentation (Hmm, wonder what that might be??) that the owners of the home owned firearms. Perhaps overlooked a 4473/DROS form while simultaneously in a gun store, or maybe one of them worked at a gun store, or possibly just conversation alone.

I am often amazed at how many customers in gun stores (and the dealers themselves) will leave the 4473/DROS form, their driver's license, and/or utility bill face up for all to see as they wait for their transaction to be completed. I have even seen people leave all that stuff there as they then go walking about the store shopping.

I was in Red Star a few years ago (now closed) and this guy starts flipping through the paperwork of another guy that wasn't paying attention, just to look at the forms to see how they are filled out, read them, etc. The guy to whom they belonged got really pissed off, the other guy was very apologetic. But at the time, the friend of the guy to whom the paperwork belonged said something to the effect of "well you're the idiot that just left it all there on the counter and walked away to the other side of the store".

I really annoy salesmen at gun stores as when they pause mid-transaction, and move even a few feet from my paperwork to do something else, I flip it over so onlookers can't pry. They always get an annoyed look when they come back and it's not right side up, but I don't care. It's sensitive information and they should treat it as such.

Piper
08-02-2008, 1:37 PM
I was impressed with the news coverage that this incident received. All TV news coverage that I saw was positive and the police seemed to be sympathetic to the family.

CCWFacts
08-02-2008, 1:41 PM
As they should be.

Yup. This is the kind of case where prosecutors will heap on all the various "bonsuses" they can find to make sure these guys never leave.

Unless the prosecutor is Kamela Harris, in which case she would sentence them to 3 months in a non-secured half-way home, and charge the home owner with murder because he killed a poor innocent troubled youth.

railroader
08-02-2008, 2:35 PM
I know it's off subject but years ago when I lived in Woodland Hills a guy collapsed in my front yard. Him and his buddy were burglarizing a guys house about a half a mile away. The home home owner came home and shot them both with a 45. One guy died in the house and the other one made it to my front yard. Homeowner wasn't charged. Mark

5150Marcelo
08-02-2008, 2:52 PM
WTF? My post was deleted! WHY?

bernieb90
08-02-2008, 3:54 PM
But but I am confused. The Brady people said that only LEOs are well trained enough to use a firearm in self defense and us sheep er regular citizens should just do what the robbers say and pray they dont kill you. I am shocked that a regular guy was able to protect himself and his family against violent criminals without causing the deaths of hundreds of innocent people around his neighborhood.

Seriously though I am glad that all innocent parties came out of this OK (physically anyway) I am sure the family will suffer from some PTSD, but I hope they know that what happened is entirely the doing of these criminal scum.

s2000news
08-02-2008, 5:54 PM
Good stuff. Happy to hear the bad guy went down and a home owner defended their home and person!

Theseus
08-02-2008, 6:17 PM

This is exactly why I laugh at people who say "Why do you need a gun? Do you live in a bad neighborhood? If you do then just move to a better one."

AEC1
08-02-2008, 10:41 PM
This is why I have a loaded gun in every room of the house, even the bathrooms, all in safes with biometric scanners... if the neighbors onlyt knew they wouldn't let their kids play over here with my son...

56Chevy
08-03-2008, 8:22 AM
The bathroom is a great place. I hope you have the garage covered too.;)

mur
08-03-2008, 8:54 AM
I suspect one reason is that the intruders found records or knew from some documentation (Hmm, wonder what that might be??) that the owners of the home owned firearms.

Maybe it's just thieves don't like stealing to close to home:)

M. Sage
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I suspect one reason is that the intruders found records or knew from some documentation (Hmm, wonder what that might be??) that the owners of the home owned firearms. Perhaps overlooked a 4473/DROS form while simultaneously in a gun store, or maybe one of them worked at a gun store, or possibly just conversation alone.

I am often amazed at how many customers in gun stores (and the dealers themselves) will leave the 4473/DROS form, their driver's license, and/or utility bill face up for all to see as they wait for their transaction to be completed. I have even seen people leave all that stuff there as they then go walking about the store shopping.

I was in Red Star a few years ago (now closed) and this guy starts flipping through the paperwork of another guy that wasn't paying attention, just to look at the forms to see how they are filled out, read them, etc. The guy to whom they belonged got really pissed off, the other guy was very apologetic. But at the time, the friend of the guy to whom the paperwork belonged said something to the effect of "well you're the idiot that just left it all there on the counter and walked away to the other side of the store".

I really annoy salesmen at gun stores as when they pause mid-transaction, and move even a few feet from my paperwork to do something else, I flip it over so onlookers can't pry. They always get an annoyed look when they come back and it's not right side up, but I don't care. It's sensitive information and they should treat it as such.

You're a little paranoid there... I'd be very surprised if they went after this house because guns were in it. It wouldn't make sense for them to hit the house while it was occupied, if this was the reason.

IMO, it was a random thing. It's not unheard of for crooks to drive fairly far from home to do bad stuff. There are gangs that run in SF whose members are from all over the Bay Area, and look at MS13 - they come up all the way from El Salvador to be *****s here.

bigmike82
08-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah.

If I was a crook, the last place I'd rob is one with a gun. Just not worth it the danger.

I hope the shooter lawyered up before talking with the police...

bodyarmorguy27
08-03-2008, 6:00 PM
The perps having access to DROS records isn't something I've heard of. I doubt three 20 somethings from South Central and Compton have access to such things. These guys may be connected to some similar robberies in the area I work. They seemed to target older folks, which makes me believe that they scoped out their victims beforehand. It's common for South End gangsters to come over the hill to pillage. Their isn't much to pillage in South Central LA, and many homes there are occupied by people with no jobs or fortified with steel bars.

Some in the valley are naive to being victimized. They think it only happens in the "bad" neighborhoods.

I posted this in the "off-topic" forum. There are some things in the news reports which are inaccurate. I'll just reference Murphy's Law's of Combat (law #1 Friendly fire, isn't.) And it was a black rifle, not sure of the configuration or reg'd AW or OLL.

Most of the cops that were working when this went down, cheered for the homeowners. We're tired of these guys getting away with all their BS due to lenient judges, "CSI" juries, DA's more concerned with conviction rates (ie slam dunk cases), plea bargains, and overcrowded jails and prisons.

gazzavc
08-03-2008, 8:24 PM
I live about 1/4 mile away from the home that it went down in.

I'm planning on stopping by there this week with a pie and telling them "jolly good show"

Gaz

Glock22Fan
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
The only problem I have with the shoot is that a "High powered rifle" (and I know we don't know just what that means) is not an ideal weapon to discharge in an urban environment like Woodland Hills. Could have gone right through the baddie and kept going.

Luckily, there don't seem to have been any collateral injuries or damage.

Next time though, maybe he should use a shotgun or handgun.

IGOTDIRT4U
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
The only problem I have with the shoot is that a "High powered rifle" (and I know we don't know just what that means) is not an ideal weapon to discharge in an urban environment like Woodland Hills. Could have gone right through the baddie and kept going.

For once, I agree with you, unless that is ALL he had in the house.

nic
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Maybe it was loaded with TAP or frangible rounds?
In any case, all's well that ends well, and it's wonderful that the son was able to defend himself and his family against these perps.

Ironchef
08-04-2008, 1:30 PM
I'd be worried if I were that family about a reprisal invasion. Surely the dead punk has homies..and the other 2 are probably planning things.

I wonder if there's alot of reprisal crimes like that that go on? I"m about to testify at a criminal hearing next week and I'm the only witness and I'm scared to death that the guy I'm testifying against will have his family and homies there getting a good look at me. They can probably get my name and address freely too somehow. I"m waiting for the DA to contact me and let me know I can do it anonymously since he's not going to be sitting at home with my wife and 4 little ones during the day, every day while I'm at work.

KDOFisch
08-04-2008, 4:15 PM

And it's for that reason I always keep a mag of VMAX handy.

bodyarmorguy27
08-04-2008, 6:17 PM
I"m about to testify at a criminal hearing next week and I'm the only witness and I'm scared to death that the guy I'm testifying against will have his family and homies there getting a good look at me. They can probably get my name and address freely too somehow. I"m waiting for the DA to contact me and let me know I can do it anonymously since he's not going to be sitting at home with my wife and 4 little ones during the day, every day while I'm at work.

Unfortunately, the 6th amendment of the Constitution allows the accused to confront all witnesses. So it is unlikely that you can do it anonymously. Anything that is handed over in discovery to the defense, may include your name but all your addresses and phone numbers should be blacked out. If you're concerned, I would let the DA know so that you're not hanging out where people see you prior to the case being heard.

Prior to court, you can also meet the Detective or Investigating Officer at the station and have him/her take you to court. Or you can have a bailiff or officer walk you to your car.

Big O
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I'd be worried if I were that family about a reprisal invasion. Surely the dead punk has homies..and the other 2 are probably planning things.

I wonder if there's alot of reprisal crimes like that that go on? I"m about to testify at a criminal hearing next week and I'm the only witness and I'm scared to death that the guy I'm testifying against will have his family and homies there getting a good look at me. They can probably get my name and address freely too somehow. I"m waiting for the DA to contact me and let me know I can do it anonymously since he's not going to be sitting at home with my wife and 4 little ones during the day, every day while I'm at work.
Sounds like a good cause statement to me. Perhaps the DA can write you a letter in support to help you get a CCW if you don't already have one.

KTGunner
08-05-2008, 3:14 AM
Sounds like a good cause statement to me. Perhaps the DA can write you a letter in support to help you get a CCW if you don't already have one.

VERY good point. Especially if this is a big deal to the DA.

As far as reprisals go, as long as the crooks wait ten days I dont think the family will have much to worry about. Instead of just the son firing at them, those two guys will have the whole family to worry about. I doubt anyone in that family will be sleeping without some sort of heat nearby.

:95:

Richy
08-05-2008, 3:17 AM
Sounds to me like the home invaders were not prepared. Sucks for them.

CALI-gula
08-05-2008, 4:41 AM
You're a little paranoid there... I'd be very surprised if they went after this house because guns were in it. It wouldn't make sense for them to hit the house while it was occupied, if this was the reason.

IMO, it was a random thing. It's not unheard of for crooks to drive fairly far from home to do bad stuff. There are gangs that run in SF whose members are from all over the Bay Area, and look at MS13 - they come up all the way from El Salvador to be *****s here.

I don't think I'm being paranoid at all - it's just as easy to NOT display that information for the world to see than it is to do so. I see no reason to show off that information to anyone and everyone that walks past a gun store counter - and in central Los Angeles, that means a bit more. I've been in plenty of guns store along side riff-raff who then ask questions like riff-raff, and throw out phrases like "pop-a-cap" and "you got bullets?". Naw, I would just as soon not let these people peruse my information as they shop for clips and bullets.

But sure, this may have been a random thing, I agree. Then again, maybe they thought nobody would be home when they came to rob the place. I have a feeling there will be some purpose as to why they were so far from their regular slumming and picked this particular house. I would be as ready for planned as I would be for random anyway.

Then again, we may never know; dead men tell no tales. ;)

Liberty1
08-05-2008, 6:28 PM

Great PC 12050 LTC "good cause"!

Heavyhits
08-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Ditto! Good on them!

Good on them?? where in Canada?

csmintel
08-06-2008, 12:23 AM

I thought of that too. I also think that they will get some kind of patrol around the house being high profile and all.
maybe they won't even have to pay for it. Let the cops do their job. They're useless most of the shift so let them work. hey...it's the property tax that pays the cops salaries.

Call it off. The DA doesn't care what happens to you. NO ONE there does. It's a bad idea to be a witness in this type of case with no protection/relocation services. You should ask for protection in writing. Talk to your lawer. Or better yet just call it off. Go on about your life.

sb_pete
08-06-2008, 1:45 AM
Let's just hope that if it was an AR/AK/FAL etc. it was either registered or CA compliant.
Sure, but that wouldn't make the news unless the bad guys were using it...