PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions regarding CA laws.

Sailormilan2
08-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I understand that CA is trying to restrict ammo importation.....read that as mail order/internet orders being shipped into this state. Is that all ammo components or just loaded ammo? When does it go into effect, if it has passed already?
Second, I was just reading where a fellow California was selling pulled 30-06 AP bullets, saying they were now illegal to own in CA. This is a new one, but anything is possible. Is it now illegal to own AP rifle ammo in CA?

leelaw
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
AP rifle ammo is legal.

The ammunition importation bill has not passed, AFAIK. I don't know if it covers components or not.

CaliforniaLiberal
08-02-2008, 12:09 AM
AB 2062 is supposed to be heard in the Senate Appropriations Committee Monday Aug, 4. If it passes the committee it has to go to a joint Assembly/Senate Committee to get approval for all the amendments. If it passes there it has to be voted on by all of both houses and signed by the Governator to be a law. Nobody really knows how it will go but I bet a quarter dollar it doesn't make it this year. Not much time left in this session and there's the budget to take care of....

It has some outstandingly stupid crap in it, it's worth wading through all the legalese to read the whole thing. Store employees have to have background checks to handle ammo.

Go here for the whole thing.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_2051-2100/ab_2062_bill_20080625_amended_sen_v95.html

An excerpt from the summary:

"The bill would also provide that no retail seller of ammunition
shall sell, offer for sale, or display for sale, any handgun
ammunition in a manner that allows that ammunition to be accessible
to a purchaser without the assistance of the retailer or employee
thereof.
The bill would further provide that handgun ammunition may only be
purchased in a face-to-face transaction[/U] and only if certain
conditions exist.
Existing law generally regulates what information is required to
be obtained in connection with the transfer of ammunition.
This bill would, subject to exceptions, commencing July 1, 2009,
require certain ammunition vendors to obtain a thumbprint and other
information from ammunition purchasers, and would require submission
of that information to the Department of Justice, as specified. A
violation of these provisions would be a misdemeanor.
'

And lots of other stuff too....

Definition of "Ammunition" - seems to include components, spitwads and rocks.

"For purposes of this subdivision, "ammunition" shall include,
but not be limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed
loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a
firearm with a deadly consequence. Ammunition does not include blanks
used in prop weapons."

I believe that "Armor Piercing Ammunition" has been California illegal for awhile.

CL

domokun
08-02-2008, 1:34 AM
AP rifle ammo is legal.

The ammunition importation bill has not passed, AFAIK. I don't know if it covers components or not.

As Leelaw has mentioned above AP rifle ammo is legal. However, AP handgun/pistol IS NOT legal.

BillCA
08-02-2008, 2:04 AM
"For purposes of this subdivision, "ammunition" shall include, but not be limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. Ammunition does not include blanks
used in prop weapons."

WTF??? :confused:

1. This would kill internet purchases of magazines, clips, HKS speed-loaders based on the verbiage.

2. How does one fire "with a deadly consequence" a magazine, clip, speed-loader or autoloader (whatever that is)?

California has a huge budget problem and we are about a month overdue on the budget. Yet the tomato-suckers in Sacramento spend time on this kind of crap. No wonder this state has been heading into the sewer for the last 20 years.

tombinghamthegreat
08-02-2008, 2:10 AM
As Leelaw has mentioned above AP rifle ammo is legal. However, AP handgun/pistol IS NOT legal.

Where would be the best place to get AP ammo for a 7.62x39 and i was not aware the AP laws only applied to handguns.

Sailormilan2
08-02-2008, 7:08 AM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I was pretty sure that the ammo bill had not yet passed. I knew handgun AP ammo was illegal, but with the way CA is going, I wasn't sure if they had banned AP rifle ammo.
There is a guy down in the Los Angeles area who is selling almost 1000 pulled 30-06 AP bullets, but is refusing to sell them to Californians as he says they are no illegal here.

tombinghamthegreat
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
AP rifle ammo is legal.

Can you provide a source? I tried the search button and so far i could not find anything sources on that. All i found was that AP handgun ammo was illegal but would AP 7.62x39 be legal and if so where could i get some?