PDA

View Full Version : 18 year olds and gun laws

Sam
08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I know that a person has to be 21+ to buy a handgun but what are the laws about transporting them if someone is under 21 but at least 18? I'm aware of the locked container, unloaded gun laws.

thanks!

-Sam

Fantasma
08-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I think if your father lend them to you, you can legally take them to a shooting range for practice. If you are under 18. You can go alone i think too. Yes you can transport them. Since 18 year olds are not prohibited from owning handguns they are just prohibited from buying them. So same rules apply when transporting.

randy
08-02-2008, 2:37 AM
You better have your Dad buy you some ammo too, because you can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21.

Sal
08-02-2008, 9:59 AM
one thing you have to go do before any of this is to make sure to go get your HSC card, that is a requirement to be able to be lent any handgun, its good until after your 21 too, so might as well get it out of the way so your ready to get your own on your 21st.

But just as others said, its legal for anyone under 18 to be lent a handgun granted it is transported properly (unloaded and locked in the trunk preferably) and that you have a valid HSC card.

pepsi2451
08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition. Everything else is 18. You can own a handgun at 18 if it is a gift from a parent or grandparent.

Fantasma
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
You better have your Dad buy you some ammo too, because you can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21.

Sucks.... Oh well....

Sam
08-02-2008, 8:17 PM
you mentioned father or grandfather...what about brother to brother? I was asking for my brother, he's 18 and I did the intrafamilial transfer for all of my father's guns and I was wondering if he could have taken possession some of them as well...and I guess now I'd have to go through an ffl to transfer them to him right?

Guntech
08-02-2008, 8:24 PM
I think you will have to go through FFL since that is not really passing them down or grandfathering them,
12078(c)(3): As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means any one of the following relationships:

(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.

Sam
08-02-2008, 8:36 PM
dang...that'll be expensive...

jumbopanda
08-02-2008, 8:56 PM
I believe you just have to fill this out and send it to the DOJ

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

Quiet
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I believe you just have to fill this out and send it to the DOJ

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

Only if his brother is also his father or grandfather.

Doesn't work for lateral family transfers (brother/sister to brother/sister or cousin to cousin or uncle/aunt to nephew/niece) only vertical (grandparent/parent to child/grandchild).

jumbopanda
08-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Can a you transfer a handgun to an 18 year old brother through an FFL? I always thought that the only way for someone 18-20 to obtain a handgun was with a parent/grandparent interfamilial transfer (or build one :)).

SJgunguy24
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition. Everything else is 18. You can own a handgun at 18 if it is a gift from a parent or grandparent.

They told me that crap too at Target Masters when I took my lever action in to shoot. They wouldn't sell me the ammo but they would let me shoot, kinda backwards.

Sam
08-03-2008, 12:04 AM
maybe transfer it back to my mom and then my mom to my brother using the intrafamilial form? it would be an understatement to say big brother's gun laws are driving me nuts...and this isn't the first time!

pepsi2451
08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
That should work, just remember if it is a handgun you your mom and your brother will have to fill out a form for the DOJ and pay a $19 transfer fee. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

natedogg1777
08-04-2008, 8:40 AM

Well, unless you go to Wal-Mart. I'm 24 so it makes no difference to me anyways, but every time I buy ammo there they ask, "Is this for a handgun?" to which I always reply with a "no" and that's the end of the conversation. No ID or anything. Cracks me up...

Moonclip
08-05-2008, 1:44 AM
I saw it's for a rifle no matter what caliber it is. Not too many .25acp rifles out there though they don't ask on that one usually if at all.

Sam
08-12-2008, 4:26 PM
can both my mother and brother fill out the application at the same time or do we have to wait to hear back from the doj saying the transfer is complete...two months later I hear back from the doj about transfering my father's handguns to me and I would rather not wait 4 months for my brother to be able to take some

Mssr. Eleganté
08-12-2008, 4:36 PM
You should wait until the confirmation letter comes back before sending in the other intra-familial transfer form. These forms pile up on the lady's desk in Sacramento and there is no guarantee that she will process them in the correct order if you send them together.

But it is really none of your business what your mom does with the handgun after you transfer it to her. If she decides to transfer it to your brother then that is between her and him.

If you transfer the handgun to your mother with the intent of her turning around and giving it to your brother then you'd be in violation of the law.

bohoki
08-12-2008, 4:58 PM
it always seemed a bit unfair to have the responsibilities of an adult at 18 but not the rights to booze and pistols

and it really sucks to be a juvinile tried as an adult when they never had the opportunity to vote

they really should have a definite age of majority

Pred@tor
08-12-2008, 5:23 PM
Well, unless you go to Wal-Mart. I'm 24 so it makes no difference to me anyways, but every time I buy ammo there they ask, "Is this for a handgun?" to which I always reply with a "no" and that's the end of the conversation. No ID or anything. Cracks me up...

At my local wally world even if the ammo is not for a handgun but can be used for a handgun they will not sell it to you unless you're 21.