PDA

View Full Version : Flying with rifles?

moab
07-31-2008, 3:26 PM
Could you legally fly to another state, buy a C&R rifle, and fly back with it to CA? What if it was a gift from a family member? Would other types of firearms matter? Lastly, what if you had an FFL license? Would any restrictions be lifted or change?

zinfull
08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I fly all the time with a rifle when go out of state hunting. It takes a few minutes more at check in but not a problem. No license is needed and only problem would be if it was illegal in CA. The airlines do not care what type just how it is secure. Be sure to get to the baggage claim because a lot of them do not check to see if you have the right bag.

Jerry

tiki
08-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I fly all the time with a rifle when go out of state hunting. It takes a few minutes more at check in but not a problem. No license is needed and only problem would be if it was illegal in CA. The airlines do not care what type just how it is secure. Be sure to get to the baggage claim because a lot of them do not check to see if you have the right bag.

Jerry

I think his question was more about the purchase of a firearm out of state. I believe its ok for long guns but not pistols. Pistols definitely not. If you wanted a pistol from out of state, it has to go through the FFL from that state to an FFL in Ca. and it has to be on the approved handgun roster.
As far as a gift from a family member, a mother or father could give you a pistol as a gift and it does not have to be on the safe handgun roster.

moab
08-01-2008, 3:29 PM
I guess I am more concerned about someone questioning ownership of the rifle and what if any paperwork would be needed? It is a C&R rifle (old mauser) so it is a legal firearm to have in CA.

Thanks for your guys input.

sorensen440
08-01-2008, 3:39 PM
The problem isn't in flying
Its in buying the gun out of state without having an ffl send it to your ffl

Might be different if you have a c&r

zinfull
08-01-2008, 3:48 PM
If you have a FFL03 you can buy out of state any C&R gun and bring it back.
It may depend on the state laws if you can walk away with a pistol but most states allow for long gun purchase. Put it in the book with in 5 days and if it is a pistol be sure to register it when you get back.

Jerry

Jerry

moab
08-01-2008, 4:49 PM
The problem isn't in flying
Its in buying the gun out of state without having an ffl send it to your ffl

Might be different if you have a c&r

This rifle isn't being bought. They are guns owned and left in another state with family, by a cousin of mine (more explanation below). I just put the "buy" part in there to see how clear of an issue this might or might not be.

I was reading some thread yesterday about it being legal to drive to another state to pick up an interfamily transfered/gifted/whatever you call it - rifle. Some guy was wondering how to get a gun his father was giving him(?) or a gun he got in a will(?). I don't remember what the thread was about specifically. But the point was made that if you traveled to the state and picked up the gun yourself and brought it back it was legal and you got around some other red tape if you had had it transfered between dealers.

What do they require you have at the airport? Do you have to bring your bill of sale proving it is yours? And that you bought it in CA? Or that the rifle traveled with you when you left on the flight from CA? I've never flown with a firearm. But I have heard that it is easy. As long as the ammo is stored separately or something?

The reason I ask this question is my cousin has guns in another state that he owns but left with his father before leaving for CA like 15 years ago. He's just wondering how to easily and legally bring them back to his home in CA. None of them are illegal to own in CA. He just didn't want to hassle with them when he moved in his early 20's. And is more settled in a house now. And would like to get his guns back and start shooting again. He was young when he moved and didn't want to drag around a bunch of guns from apt. to apt. or shared house or whatever. Some of the guns he was given by relatives years ago. And some he bought. But kept no receipts. There is no registration in the other state so he never worried about it.

I hate this. It's almost like you have to hire an attorney to carry your legal personal property from one place to the next. It's really to bad. I love this state. But I can't wait to move away from here simply because of the stifling laws. I feel scared half the time wondering if I missed some interpretation of a law or legal precedent that I slipped up on. I can't imagine someone of average or perhaps a bit below average intelligence trying to figure out how to stay legal.

At what point is "ignorance of the law" trumped by the reasonable expectations of a "normal persons" ability to understand a law?

Ok. I'm done ranting. Sorry.

The question at hand is "Can you carry a CA legal rifle on a return flight back to CA?". And what paperwork if any do you need? Maybe I should edit the title of the thread(?).

zinfull
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok You are just bring back your property. As for paperwork there is none. If your father/relative passed away then a copy of the will would be nice but not necessary. You are not dong anything illegal. You are not buying guns out of state just retrieving your property.

The problem I see is that with the airlines charging for baggage it may be cheaper to ship the guns to your self and pay postage.

Jerry

gunsmith
08-04-2008, 1:42 PM
I think it wouldn't be a problem at all.
The biggest problem would be that you needed more money for more cool guns

moab
08-04-2008, 4:27 PM
Ok You are just bring back your property. As for paperwork there is none. If your father/relative passed away then a copy of the will would be nice but not necessary. You are not dong anything illegal. You are not buying guns out of state just retrieving your property.

The problem I see is that with the airlines charging for baggage it may be cheaper to ship the guns to your self and pay postage.

Jerry

Wow. I didn't know you could do that. I thought if a gun went thru the mail it had to be going to at least a C&R holder. Will all major carriers ship guns? Do you have to declare it is a gun or gun parts?

M. Sage
08-04-2008, 4:32 PM
Yes, you can ship a gun to yourself. Yes, you should declare that your package contains a gun. IIRC, you can UPS it, but you'll have to take it to a UPS shipping center.

Flying home with the gun in your scenario is perfectly Ok, too.

Off topic a bit:

Someone mentioned C&R handguns. Do not buy a C&R handgun out of state and bring it back, even if you have an 03. A C&R handgun must go through an FFL in CA before you can take possession.

moab
08-04-2008, 5:33 PM
Wow. I can't believe in this day and age of everyone sniffing up your *** they don't ask for bill of sale or something. Thats good though.

Gotch you on the handguns. makes perfect sense.

moab
08-04-2008, 5:36 PM
Wow. The three letter word for your rear end that starts with an "A" gets censored? LOL! To funny. (I didn't put the asterisks in my previous post - the site did it for me. How convenient.)

zinfull
08-04-2008, 5:40 PM
Sorry but you can buy a C&R pistol out of state with a FFL03 and bring it back to CA. You have 5 days to fill out a form.

Reporting Requirements
Effective January 1, 1998, State law requires all California federal type “03” firearms licensees (collectors of curios
or relics) who obtain curio or relic handguns while out of state to report such purchases or acquisitions to the
Department of Justice within five days of transporting the handgun(s) into California.

jerry

bobbarker
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I'll tack a question on here as well, and just piggy back. I'm headed home to Michigan in a few months, and, due to recent circumstances, I'm a little nervous about carrying across country. Not sure if I'm more nervous about taking the gun with me or not having one while on the road....that's a toughie. My question is, could I stick a handgun in the mail, and ship it to my father?

**I'm an idiot, and didn't realize it went on to page two. Previous comment edited out, so I don't look quite as stupid. :)

zinfull
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
This comes under Federal Law. They have an exemption for sending firearms and the only one I know of and use is to send the gun from you to you. I use this when I hunt in Wis., but not sure on a pistol.

Jerry