PDA

View Full Version : Making FAL type CA legal

diddler
07-31-2008, 6:46 AM
All,

Interested in buying an FAL style rifle (R1A1) from a friend, he keeps it out of state. I opened a thread about it in the Riflemans forum and got some good information but I'd like to know a bit more about the legal junk now.

Since the upper receiver is considered the rifle, by removing the lower receiver (with its naughty, naughty pistol grip) that should make the rifle a non-AW immediately, correct? (Barrelled upper has no other evil features, ie: no flash hider, forward pistol grip, etc) I believe on this rifle you cannot remove just the pistol grip from the lower, it'll leave a mounting plate or stud that could still be considered a pistol grip, hence the separation of the upper from the lower.

My question stems from any grey areas of the law that covers whether or not you'd have to physically transfer the two halves in separate containers? I know the assembled lower should be just considered parts (rememer, FAL) and I seem to recall that "constructive possession" isn't part of (California?) law. So simply put, just how far apart should the naughty lower be kept away from the benign upper? Then, beyond simple transportation, what about while the two halves are in your possession during storage?

Of course, I'm interested in the answer to the question above only for the short time it takes to render the whole weapon somehow otherwise Cali legal. I believe I'm leaning towards a stripper clip dust cover, I still haven't reached a personal comfort level on any of my rifles when it comes to the Bullet-Button concept. (Yes, I understand -why- its legal, I just don't believe that enough police and District Attorneys agree with me).

So, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can buy a stripper clip top loading dealie for an FAL style rifle? I also need links to info on what it takes to pin a magazine in place for this rifle. And, possibly for the future, I would like to know more about FAL style Bullet-Buttons and how they work/mount.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Ryan

jamesob
07-31-2008, 8:23 AM
top loading covers are made by tapco or at least they were. you can also call the dealers warehouse in modesto, i know they have them.

gunsnrovers
07-31-2008, 8:25 AM
Here's a link on how to pin your magazine. (http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/diy_california_fal.htm)

REDHORSE
07-31-2008, 8:27 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/diy_california_fal.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/diy_g1_stripperclip_topcover.htm

diddler
07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Excellent links guys, fantastic information. And beyond the FAL stuff, it finally prompted me to track down what the heck "Wecsog" means. :)

So I guess all I'm really looking for now is the the deal with the upper and lower receivers.

Thanks!

Ryan

dfletcher
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
The link on modifying the mag release is excellent. Easy to do. My DSA FAL came with the mag release already drilled & tapped, you might want to give them a call, see if they have any left. And of course using this approach makes the FAL CA legal and is readily convertible.

Using a T48 type dust cover/scope cover really doesn't do anything from a legal point, but does make top loading easier. I skipped the T48, load through the side - I always kind of sucked using stripper clips for some reason. And the T48 dust cover really limits your choice of scopes if you're going that way.

Don't know that it's required, but if I had the choice of dropping in the modified mag release before bring the FAL in state or after, I'd opt for before. If you're pulled over on I - 15 with an otherwise fully functioning FAL in two pieces it could at the least slow down your drive. Or you could just mail the lower.

diddler
07-31-2008, 1:17 PM
The link on modifying the mag release is excellent. Easy to do. My DSA FAL came with the mag release already drilled & tapped, you might want to give them a call, see if they have any left. And of course using this approach makes the FAL CA legal and is readily convertible.

True, its a pretty clever little fix, I imagine I'll get right on that as soon as I can.

Using a T48 type dust cover/scope cover really doesn't do anything from a legal point, but does make top loading easier. I skipped the T48, load through the side - I always kind of sucked using stripper clips for some reason. And the T48 dust cover really limits your choice of scopes if you're going that way.

I definitly understood the legality part, but thanks for clarifying. Wasn't looking forward to loading through the ejection port, always seemed like that bolt is just waiting to snap shut accidentally and grab my finger! And, the whole loading one-at-a-time process seems like a bit o' a pain. As far as a scope, no current plan to do that. I'll always have the stock dust cover to reinstall in the future, I like that this won't be a permanent modification.

Don't know that it's required, but if I had the choice of dropping in the modified mag release before bring the FAL in state or after, I'd opt for before. If you're pulled over on I - 15 with an otherwise fully functioning FAL in two pieces it could at the least slow down your drive. Or you could just mail the lower.

True, true. Only problem with pre-installing it, I don't think my buddy has a 10 round magazine to pin into place. I suppose just having the modified mag release installed would prevent any magazine from being installed, so you could argue that it has neither the capacity to attach a magazine, or detach one.

Problem is right now I still haven't figured out what kind of parts are used to build this R1A1 creature, seems like a combination of inch and metric parts. Don't want to buy a pre-modified magazine release and ship it to my buddy only to find out it won't even fit the rifle. :rolleyes:

Ahh well. Thanks for all the posts, if anyone has anything to add about the transporting/storing the two receiver halves, I'm definitly interested!

Ryan

domokun
07-31-2008, 3:53 PM
True, true. Only problem with pre-installing it, I don't think my buddy has a 10 round magazine to pin into place. I suppose just having the modified mag release installed would prevent any magazine from being installed, so you could argue that it has neither the capacity to attach a magazine, or detach one.

You could just buy a 10 round magazine online beforehand and then take it with you or send it to your friend to use to pin the magazine in place to make it CA legal.

diddler
07-31-2008, 4:39 PM
You could just buy a 10 round magazine online beforehand and then take it with you or send it to your friend to use to pin the magazine in place to make it CA legal.

Also true, why didn't I think of that? :kest:

Still have the issue with not knowing what parts are correct for this rifle, or even what magazines are correct. Finally got some pictures of the rifle from my friend, I've got them posted over on FALFiles, trying to get the low-down on what I'm actually looking at.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ford8N
07-31-2008, 5:36 PM
Remove the gas piston and turn the gas valve to "Gr". Shoot as a single shot in this state. Convert back to semi operation by reinstalling the gas piston and turning the valve to "A" when out of state. It takes longer to type this post than it does to convert a FAL from a semi auto to single shot action. That's the beauty of a FAL.

diddler
07-31-2008, 5:47 PM
Remove the gas piston and turn the gas valve to "Gr". Shoot as a single shot in this state. Convert back to semi operation by reinstalling the gas piston and turning the valve to "A" when out of state. It takes longer to type this post than it does to convert a FAL from a semi auto to single shot action. That's the beauty of a FAL.

An interesting idea, but a bit grey for me. Some of the other discussions going on elsewhere in the 2nd Amendment forum talking about AW configured rifles that are simply missing parts....... besides, when I get it I want to be able to check function, specifically cycling/ejecting.

Plus, semi-auto is fun! :) Stripper clips and a pinned mag is right up my alley.

Thanks!

Ryan

falawful
08-01-2008, 7:48 AM
Drill/tap a blind hole for a 6-32 screw opposite the finger grooves. Do it in the middle of this flat area. Thread in a 6-32 screw with the mag release removed from rifle. Install 10 rd mag and sneak mag release with bolt threaded in into position.

Spring is still in there, so when you transit to free America you can remove the mag release, remove the screw and use your FAL as god intended....

thedrickel
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Why do people still like the set screw? I just don't get it :confused::banghead:

diddler
08-01-2008, 1:01 PM
Drill/tap a blind hole for a 6-32 screw opposite the finger grooves. Do it in the middle of this flat area. Thread in a 6-32 screw with the mag release removed from rifle. Install 10 rd mag and sneak mag release with bolt threaded in into position.

little confused by this, "opposite the finger grooves", not sure what finger grooves you're referring to. What part are you actually drilling into? The receiver? trigger guard? magazine release?

Got any pictures? How does your method compare to the link someone posted earlier?

http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/diy_california_fal.htm

diddler
08-01-2008, 1:02 PM
Why do people still like the set screw? I just don't get it :confused::banghead:

Which set screw are you referring to? And what method do you advocate?

wikidklown
08-01-2008, 1:12 PM
Which set screw are you referring to? And what method do you advocate?

Pardon me jumping on this Drick. This method works really well:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=87346

diddler
08-01-2008, 1:22 PM
Yes, the FAL Bullet Button. As I mentioned in the original post:

I still haven't reached a personal comfort level on any of my rifles when it comes to the Bullet-Button concept. (Yes, I understand -why- its legal, I just don't believe that enough police and District Attorneys agree with me).