PDA

View Full Version : Minn. officers involved in botched raid get medals

510dat
07-30-2008, 9:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080730/ap_on_re_us/botched_raid;_ylt=ApsVeK_yfMqx097TyelMRwhvzwcF

Wed Jul 30, 1:27 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS - Eight police officers who raided an innocent family's house last year, trading fire with the terrified husband, have received medals and that has outraged the family.

Three officers involved in the Dec. 16 raid, which stemmed from bad information from an informant, received medals of valor from Police Chief Tim Dolan on Monday. The other five got medals of commendation.

Yee Moua said her family is "a mess right now," and her 9-year-old son, who saw the shooting, "still has nightmares and has needed therapy."

Police entered the home expecting to find a violent gang member. Yee Moua's husband, Vang Khang, thought they were being robbed and shot at the officers through a bedroom door.

The officers, members of the Minneapolis Police Department's SWAT team, were wearing protective gear and were not injured. But they returned fire.

Members of the family also were not physically injured, but the house was left filled with bullet holes and broken glass. Two days later, Dolan apologized and started an internal investigation.

"They were outraged and they were hurt. ... To this day this family continues to suffer," said their attorney, former U.S. attorney Tom Heffelfinger.

The investigation found the team had gone there looking for a gang member's guns after an informant gave investigators bad information. Authorities are still looking into how the case was handled before the raid, but Dolan said the SWAT officers themselves have been cleared.

Heffelfinger said the family has notified the city that they plan to file a lawsuit. He questions the timing and motives for the award.

But Dolan said in a statement: "The officers put themselves in harm's way. They were shot at and shot and deserved to be recognized."

Josh3239
07-30-2008, 9:24 PM
I just don't understand how you can raid the wrong house. Wouldn't they check who the homeowner is? Wouldn't they try contact the home owner (either notifying who they were or done discreetly)? Wouldn't they check the address was right (in cases where they hit the wrong house)?

And how the F do they get medals for breaking into someone's house and shooting it up? They should rather be suspended for incompetence at the very least.

tyrist
07-30-2008, 9:50 PM
The ones who received the medals are not the ones who made the mistake....Blame the detectives for having a bad informant not the Officers serving the high risk warrant. However I don't think they should have gotten anything other than cleared of any wrong doing and sent back out to work.

wolf13
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
The ones who received the medals are not the ones who made the mistake....Blame the detectives for having a bad informant not the Officers serving the high risk warrant. However I don't think they should have gotten anything other than cleared of any wrong doing and sent back out to work.

I agree. Giving them medals is going to leave a bad taste in someone's mouth. But, you can't blame them for doing their job. Whoever gave the information and then whoever took that without checking should be getting in trouble.

doctor_vals
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
MINNEAPOLIS - Eight police officers who raided an innocent family's house last year, trading fire with the terrified husband, have received medals — and that has outraged the family.

Police entered the home expecting to find a violent gang member. Yee Moua's husband, Vang Khang, thought they were being robbed and shot at the officers through a bedroom door.

The officers, members of the Minneapolis Police Department's SWAT team, were wearing protective gear and were not injured. But they returned fire.

Members of the family also were not physically injured, but the house was left filled with bullet holes and broken glass. Two days later, Dolan apologized and started an internal investigation.

I have some questions:
- civilian shoot through the door and hit LEO (and they are a live because of body armor.) They return fire from CLOSE distance and they missed him????
And I assume at that situation at least 4 of them start shooting and "were not physically injured". It's scare - it is SWAT - elite police unit.
How about regular cop on the street.....

KTGunner
07-30-2008, 11:59 PM
It seems like there are no winners in this situation on either side. But I still can't see that it would be a good idea to give the officers medals. Isn't that like giving the finger to the family?

Hats off to the Dad for being the only one who can shoot.... even through a door. :95:

nobody_special
07-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Isn't that like giving the finger to the family?

Ya think? :mad:

ZapThyCat
07-31-2008, 1:06 AM
That's just an outrage to every citizen of the US.

Knauga
07-31-2008, 5:04 PM
Come on now, they terrorized that innocent family with great valor! :rolleyes:

Granted the SWAT team aren't REALLY the ones that screwed the pooch, but i don't know that this is a medal of valor situation.

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2008, 5:09 PM
I sure hope the home owner got one too! He did risk his life to defend his family from a home invasion.

JDoe
07-31-2008, 5:26 PM
I sure hope the home owner got one too! He did risk his life to defend his family from a home invasion.

Good point! Maybe the home owner should get a medal of valor from the Second Amendment Foundation or the NRA or the CATO institute or someone.

The swat members can't be blamed for the detectives screw up but they shouldn't receive medals for just doing their job. Yeah sure it's dangerous and all but they knew that when they competed for a place on the swat team.

pnkssbtz
07-31-2008, 5:39 PM
They did check the house. The house was the correct house.

Unfortunately for them, the only evidence that it was a house of interest was from a criminal informant.

So, on the word of a criminal informant they busted, they did a no-knock on some random house the guy pointed to.

Scumbags should see prison sentence for their negligence.

Guntech
07-31-2008, 5:45 PM
Even if they raided the wrong house LEO's Usually yell "Police" or "Search Warrant" before raiding or when entering a house. So I think I'll stick with the LEO's on this one. What about the firearm used to fire at the LEO's was it legal? I'd like to know the full story. And all you saying that the cops are scum and should get locked up, you guys have never been LEO's. These low life thugs will kill a cop or a innocent civilian like their life is worth nothing, usually just to get into the gang. You all need to think about that before judging these cops because you don't know what you'd do in there situation.

CSACANNONEER
07-31-2008, 5:48 PM
Even if they raided the wrong house LEO's Usually yell "Police" or "Search Warrant" before raiding or when entering a house. So I think I'll stick with the LEO's on this one. What about the firearm used to fire at the LEO's was it legal? I'd like to know the full story.

So, crooks never yell "Police" as they break in to an occupied house? Actually, this has become a fairly regular strategy for some home invasion robberies.

tombinghamthegreat
07-31-2008, 5:48 PM
What is odd is the fact the father appears to be the only one that can shoot. The cops should be punished for their acts not awarded for their criminal acts.

tombinghamthegreat
07-31-2008, 5:49 PM
So, crooks never yell "Police" as they break in to an occupied house? Actually, this has become a fairly regular strategy for some home invasion robberies.

Something to keep in mind.

Theseus
07-31-2008, 6:02 PM
I, for one am glad to hear that no one got hurt.

I think that SWAT receiving medals is in extremely bad taste.

Lets say for example that the father had killed one of the officers. He would be charged and likely thrown the book at. If the SWAT had killed the father it would have been voted a clean killing because our officers lives are more precious than a civilians. This is what needs to change.

A cop signed up to be in a job knowing his life may be in jeopardy, but does that make his life any more important than the father? I think not. An officers loss of life is a tragic thing, but an innocent mans life lost to me is even more tragic.

Guntech
07-31-2008, 6:38 PM
I, for one am glad to hear that no one got hurt.

I think that SWAT receiving medals is in extremely bad taste.

Lets say for example that the father had killed one of the officers. He would be charged and likely thrown the book at. If the SWAT had killed the father it would have been voted a clean killing because our officers lives are more precious than a civilians. This is what needs to change.

A cop signed up to be in a job knowing his life may be in jeopardy, but does that make his life any more important than the father? I think not. An officers loss of life is a tragic thing, but an innocent mans life lost to me is even more tragic.

You are way out of line if you think you can say what a persons life is worth. By saying that an innocent civilians loss of life is more tragic, you basically said that an Officer's life is worth less than a civilians. You have no right to say what someones life is worth and you probably also believe that our Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen's lives are not worth as much as yours, because they knowingly put their lives on the line to defend our rights and our freedom, and because you are an innocent civilian

bohoki
07-31-2008, 8:12 PM
note to self

fire through bedroom door with m1a

pnkssbtz
07-31-2008, 8:46 PM
You are way out of line if you think you can say what a persons life is worth. By saying that an innocent civilians loss of life is more tragic, you basically said that an Officer's life is worth less than a civilians. You have no right to say what someones life is worth and you probably also believe that our Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen's lives are not worth as much as yours, because they knowingly put their lives on the line to defend our rights and our freedom, and because you are an innocent civilian
When it comes to liberty, freedom and the security of our country, YES an innocent civilian's life is worth more.

This is not merely an instance of a LEO's life vs. a Civilian's life. This is an issue of Government Oppression/Negligence vs. Liberty and Freedom.

On the word of a criminal alone, without any corroborating investigation, these LEO's violated one of the most sacrosanct tenant of America and Liberty in general;
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Additionally it is the duty of every Military person and our civic protectors (Fire Dept, LEO's) to lay down their lives for the safety our country, our citizenry and our liberty.

That is why so many LEO's and firefighters ran up the stairs of the WTC on 9/11 to help save as many people as they could, knowing that they may not make it down back down to safety. It was their duty, entrusted to them by their fellow peoples, to provide for the safety and security of innocents. For they are better men than I for their actions.

Theseus
07-31-2008, 8:52 PM

You are partially right, I should have said the life of an innocent civilian taken by a LEO is more tragic. But I never assigned worth, I assigned a level of tragedy. Both are equal in worth, but one can be more tragic.

And no, I don't think these military peoples lives are worth any less. I think they are honorable people doing a job that most people are not willing or capable of doing. I myself served in the Army, but that doesn't make my life worth any more or less than anyone else's, but 3,000 civilians killed at 9/11 is more tragic than our men and women in uniform. It doesn't make our men and women in uniform worth any less, nor those that died in 9/11 attacks worth any more. But I bet that the government paid more to the victims of 9/11 than we do our fallen soldiers.

Piper
07-31-2008, 9:05 PM
Even if they raided the wrong house LEO's Usually yell "Police" or "Search Warrant" before raiding or when entering a house. So I think I'll stick with the LEO's on this one. What about the firearm used to fire at the LEO's was it legal? I'd like to know the full story. And all you saying that the cops are scum and should get locked up, you guys have never been LEO's. These low life thugs will kill a cop or a innocent civilian like their life is worth nothing, usually just to get into the gang. You all need to think about that before judging these cops because you don't know what you'd do in there situation.

I was a cop for 16 years. THEY F***ED UP AND THEY SHOULDN'T GET MEDALS FOR IT.

fairfaxjim
07-31-2008, 9:33 PM
The issue here isn't about assigning value to lives - they all are precious. For that reason alone, someone involved in this one screwed the pooch pretty royal. A high risk, usually no knock, felony warrant service doesn't provide any time for the subject to process and react normally to rapid shouts of "police" or other attempts at ID. That is the intention of the tactic, to suprise, confuse, and overwhelm the occupants very quickly. Not only did these guys act on bad intel from the detectives or whoever, they blew the takedown, as the homeowner had time to take position and fire on them. Hardly medal qualifying performance.

To turn around and esentially thumb the department's nose at the civilian population by honoring this fiassco shows just how arrogant the LE administrations in this country have become of the civilians. They train LEO's in illegal methods, and award poor performance of those methods.