PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip 20

blackberg
07-30-2008, 7:55 PM
ok so I saw pistol grip 20 gauge the other day, 18"
its something I really dont need or on the top half of my wish list.
What are the pros and cons of one like that? I've never shot a pistol grip shotgun or 20 gauge, so I really dont have anything to base it on.
Pretty much what I want is someone to convince me to buy it ;)

I already have a 28" 12 gauge...

-blackberg

mossy
07-30-2008, 9:18 PM
a 20ga pistol grip mossberg was given to me for my birthday. i have never shot it, and slugs/buckshot are a little hard to find. but it looks nice :D

bigthaiboy
07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
The only advantage of a pistol grip shotgun is small storage area or limited space shooting. Other than that, there really isn't any. I bought the Mossberg 500 Cruiser 7+1, and ended up buying a stock for it, since shooting with minimal aiming from a pistol grip can be very hit and miss, and is really limited to close range HD shooting.

Others will probably have more to add about the use of a 20Ga for a HD shotgun, as I have never considered a 20Ga for that role, but I'm sure there is a much more limited selection of buckshot available on the market, in 20Ga.

Moonclip
07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Walmart has IIRC 20ga slugs and buckshot, it's usually #3 in a 20ga. .25cal pellets.

A 20ga pg shotgun is easier to shoot than a 12ga. No indoor ranges I know of will allow you to shoot a pgo shotgun though. A 20ga has about 75% of the shot payload of a 12ga with less recoil.

My dad recently bought a pg only .410 Mossberg 500, seems a little light but he is in poor health, probably better for him to handle.

randy
07-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Pistol grip only stocks on a shotgun just don't have much of a practical purpose. 12 gauge shells have a bigger selection. If you are just buying bird shot then it doesn't matter. If you want slugs and buck it's easier and most likely cheaper to buy them in 12 gauge.