PDA

View Full Version : Firearm community is discriminatory

addictedToMath
11-18-2015, 1:45 AM
As a left hander, I feel very underrepresented and alienated because virtually all firearms and firearm accessories are made for right handers. Us left handers have to deal with shells flying in our faces, breathing in gunpowder, bolts in our faces etc. We matter too. Left handers matter. We're here and we're proud. Inconsiderate practices need to stop!!

AreWeFree
11-18-2015, 1:49 AM
Nature is discriminatory, try evolving a little.

Rosereader
11-18-2015, 1:50 AM
Learn to shoot right handed. It's better to be ambidextrous anyway, and learning skills with your weaker hand is good for your brain. Or it does nothing for your brain. Or it causes neural degradation.

Neurobiologists are a diverse lot with many conflicting ideas, regardless, firearms are a commercial venture like any other, and as such are typically designed to be suitable for the broadest variety of potential buyers. So this isn't likely to change, ever. Best to adapt rather than feel put out.

Garv
11-18-2015, 1:50 AM
Trans-handed lives matter.

addictedToMath
11-18-2015, 2:03 AM
Garv .... Yes were part of the same movement. Left hand and trans hand matter movement. Were planning a protest soon.

SonofWWIIDI
11-18-2015, 3:52 AM
Left handed people are in their right mind.

orangeusa
11-18-2015, 4:00 AM
Good gosh. You come across as a whiner. I am a lefty.

Handguns are easier for us. Don't swap the mag release. I have found that lefty's can dump mags much faster than.. the others.

Any other questions. Gad, man up and figure these things out for yourself. I want you to beat these righty guys, but on an even playing field.

NickMc
11-18-2015, 4:10 AM
Adapt, that's what we left-handers do, all the time.

We have the tactical advantage.

orangeusa
11-18-2015, 4:17 AM
Adapt, that's what we left-handers do, all the time.

We have the tactical advantage.

Yup. I was stunned to learn it is far faster to dump a mag with your index finger.

Wes C Addle
11-18-2015, 4:21 AM
buy an ambi AR

jeremiah12
11-18-2015, 5:43 AM
As a lefty for over 50 years I can say stop the whining. :face palm:

What do you expect when we are only 10% of the population? Learn to adapt and you will have the advantage. Shoot ambidextrous. Get used to the brass flying across your field of view and you learn to ignore it. I grew up with hot brass hitting my right arm. I learned to ignore those types of annoyances when shooting. In a real life or death situation that is a major advantage, you can focus on that shot you need to make without distraction.

Lefties can operate bolt guns much faster than righties. I learned this as a teenager and won most of the speed competitions at a LGR.

Take your differences and use them to your advantages. BTW, I read an article last week that discovered lefties comprised as much as 1/3 the population of warrior societies. Lefties have a decided advantage in hand to hand combat. They are used to battling righties all the time but righties are not used to dealing with lefties, only other righties.

I discovered that myself when I did martial arts.

iMigraine
11-18-2015, 6:08 AM
So, some of you lefties are bi? :winkiss:

spyde12
11-18-2015, 6:11 AM
I think some people's sarcasm meter needs to be calibrated...or maybe mine does :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dezrat
11-18-2015, 6:18 AM
I spent my first 8 shooting years as a righty, as I am right handed. First combat handgun coarse I took, the instructor proved to me that I was left eye dominant. Said that dominant eye determines what handed a shooter one should be, not natural hand preference. It took me about 1000 rounds to transition, but have been a far better shooter ever since.

ugimports
11-18-2015, 6:53 AM
Support lefty companies such as Stag Arms and Savage Arms that make lefty specific rifle configurations. At a minimum purchase a Stag Arms lefty upper if you care which way the shell ejects.

I'd imagine if all the lefties (1/3 of the population as estimated above) did that more companies would see a viable market for lefties.. sounds like most people adapt to the righty world.

cdtx2001
11-18-2015, 7:02 AM
I've got nothing against people who have to shop at Ned Flanders store the Leftorium. In fact, I feel kinda sorry for those who get hit in the face with brass from their own gun, or can't open up a pack of batteries with a standard pair of scissors.

#southpawlivesmatter

LowThudd
11-18-2015, 7:44 AM
Left handed 1911. Doo Eet!

http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/
http://cabotgun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Cabot-South-Paw-2.png

Robert1234
11-18-2015, 8:00 AM
Learn to shoot right handed. It's better to be ambidextrous anyway, and learning skills with your weaker hand is good for your brain. Or it does nothing for your brain. Or it causes neural degradation.

Neurobiologists are a diverse lot with many conflicting ideas, regardless, firearms are a commercial venture like any other, and as such are typically designed to be suitable for the broadest variety of potential buyers. So this isn't likely to change, ever. Best to adapt rather than feel put out.

Switching to left handed will make you a left handed shooter unless you also continue shooting right handed as well. You'll also suck for a year or two. And your weak side muscles will also hinder your trigger speed. At least these things were issues for me. Been 8 years and I know my trigger speed suffers, though reloads and malfunction clearing are improved as you're now using your dominant/strong hand for these actions.

If I had it to do over, I'd learn to shoot wi th my non-dominant eye, instead of my non-dominant hand.

Jimi Jah
11-18-2015, 8:45 AM
Start a new group, left handers matter?

Gryff
11-18-2015, 9:15 AM
Left-handers are sinister.

tanks
11-18-2015, 9:17 AM
I am a lefty.
I support companies that accommodate lefties like HK, Walther etc..
Bolt guns are an issue, but my bolt guns are custom anyway, so getting a lefty action is not a problem.
ARs are a bit of a training issue for magazine changes but for the rest there are ambidextrous safeties, charging handles. Bolt release can be accessed with the index finger.

Untamed1972
11-18-2015, 9:20 AM
Lefties have been discriminated against in manufacturing or all products since the dawn of time.

As a left I feel your pain.....literally sometimes.

Untamed1972
11-18-2015, 9:22 AM
Left-handers are sinister.

HeHeheee.....the Italian word for left is "sinistra"......and I like it that way! :devil:

addictedToMath
11-18-2015, 9:43 AM
Left Handed Lives Matter!!!!

Wordupmybrotha
11-18-2015, 9:58 AM
Sorry OP, you get no mercy from Calgunners :slap: :D
I heard cranberry juice is good for you. ;)

81turbota
11-18-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm a leftie and feel your pain, but I just buy guns I can shoot or adapt to those that are difficult. I cannot independently close my left eye, so if I wanted to shoot right handed I would have to shoot both eyes open or use an eye patch.

A friend of mine recently graduated basic training in the Royal Army (UK) where their service rifle is the bullpup SA-80. I asked him what they do about left handed shooters due to the bullpup design - his reponse "they learn to shoot right handed".

LowThudd
11-18-2015, 10:19 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xVW_K9DW1zk/UisSfCy51aI/AAAAAAACGek/dVFKz0z9-Lg/s1600/Left+Handed+Pencil.bmp

LowThudd
11-18-2015, 10:22 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/03/08/science/08klasscnd_337/08klasscnd_337-blog480.jpg

artb
11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
You made a life choice to be a lefty.
You can change any time you choose. ... :D

ScottsBad
11-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Wish I could shoot better left handed

Robert1234
11-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Just say "I identify as a righty" and it will be so. Seems to work with everything else these days.

USMCM16A2
11-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Rodney Dangerfield "to me a sex change means when I switch hands". A2

ElvenSoul
11-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Don't we have enough terrorist in this country?

Just remember Savage Arms Loves you they have allways made left handed models.

Smith & Wesson on the other hand....destroy the right handed only oppressors! :)

:) :) :) :)

RandyD
11-18-2015, 12:20 PM
I am left handed. It is not a handicap in shooting a pistol or a shotgun. I prefer a left handed bolt action, but I can fire a right handed bolt very easily by using my right hand to operate the bolt.

Bansh88
11-18-2015, 1:52 PM
Try being tall! I have lost much blood and scalp due to this world being built for all you midgets.

jeremiah12
11-18-2015, 5:02 PM
I spent my first 8 shooting years as a righty, as I am right handed. First combat handgun coarse I took, the instructor proved to me that I was left eye dominant. Said that dominant eye determines what handed a shooter one should be, not natural hand preference. It took me about 1000 rounds to transition, but have been a far better shooter ever since.

As a lefty that is right eye dominant I can say this is a myth. You can also train your body to change your eye dominance if you want or you can also train yourself to shoot with your non-dominant eye.

When I shoot left handed I use my left eye for the sights and when I shoot right handed I use my right eye. I can do this while keeping both eyes open. It took some time to train myself to do this but it was worth it.

fritztkatt
11-18-2015, 5:27 PM
Win some, lose some.

I'm a lefty. Typical auto-pistols aren't an issue for me (m9, 1911, glock), neither is the AR or a mossberg shotgun, never had an issue with pellet gun's growing up. I'll shoot a bolt action right handed when standing, but from a bench using a righty action is beneficial, no? You don't break cheek weld, shoulder weld, or elbow placement, and can see into the ejection port when single loading. Only ever shot archery right handed, consider myself plenty accurate for hunting, no where near competitive though. Grapefruit at 35 yards...

Learn to use scissors, they aren't that bad.

MacanTaillear
11-18-2015, 9:37 PM
I'm left handed but right eye dominant.
Long guns I shoot right handed but hand guns go in the left hand where they do just fine.
I don't have any issues working a 1911 so long as it has an ambi safety, which is an easy addition. On DA revolvers I feel they are actually easier to load/eject/reload being left handed.
Scissors, yeah, I really like left handed scissors.

LowThudd
11-18-2015, 9:43 PM
For the 1911 lefties, I just ran across this Ambi slide stop at Sarco. Not sure of the quality or function, but maybe something to look into(I have not seen them before). http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911slidestopextendedambidextrous.aspx
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/45ambidextrousextendedslidestopforcolt1911auto.asp x

Not in stock, but maybe they can order it.

splithoof
11-18-2015, 9:47 PM
My Falcon Portsider, Randal, or Safari Arms 1911's would have to disagree with you, OP. You can find those if you try, and perhaps other "Lefty" 1911's will work for you.

fritztkatt
11-18-2015, 9:53 PM
If you have problems with the slide stop as a lefty on a 1911, you're probably doing it wrong. Or have nubs for fingers...

Now, locking the slide to the rear by hand (read unload show clear), is a tad tricky...