PDA

View Full Version : Rifles without serial numbers

Californio
07-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Prior to the GCA 1968 .22 rifles were not required to have serial numbers from the manufacture. Many manufactures used serial numbers some, manufactures such as Remington did not on some models. Given the paranoia LE has today if you are stopped for a traffic violation and searched etc. this may be a problem.

Is there a solution to transporting pre GCA .22's to the range?

Fate
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Long arms aren't registered in CA, so serial number or no serial number won't change the scenario.

Meplat
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Or you could stamp one on yourself. I suggest FBATF 1

tgriffin
07-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Verify, verify again, and then verify one more time that the serial numbers have not been defaced or removed (yes I know it prolly never had any, but it coulda been re-blued). Just a reminder that possession of a firearm with removed serials = instant felony.

packnrat
07-30-2008, 2:14 PM
yes but the answer is about pre 1968 .22 cal rifles, i have a couple of them. most from the era are not very good shooters, due the rifling having been worn out.
some are still very good plinkers.

:TFH:

Californio
07-30-2008, 2:18 PM
Verify, verify again, and then verify one more time that the serial numbers have not been defaced or removed (yes I know it prolly never had any, but it coulda been re-blued). Just a reminder that possession of a firearm with removed serials = instant felony.

Since my Father bought it and I have possessed it, it is the original finish.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9555

The barrel has the correct date stamps, but the question remains. What if it is inspected by a LEO? A firearm without a serial number in California?

CSACANNONEER
07-30-2008, 3:11 PM
The barrel has the correct date stamps, but the question remains. What if it is inspected by a LEO? A firearm without a serial number in California?

So what? Why would a LEO "inspect" your personal property? Are you planning on doing something illegal? Then, DON'T WORRY! It is perfectly legal and if a LEO tries to confinscate it, ask him to call his boss first. If they still try to take it and/or arrest you, you should have a good civil case and possibly a criminal case against them.

What if................what if...............what if????????????

Fate
07-30-2008, 3:14 PM
You will be fine. I have some old long arms that don't have serial numbers. They are not illegal in CA.

Stop being paranoid. ;)

Librarian
07-30-2008, 3:23 PM
Lots of guns don't have serial numbers; older milsurp from other countries frequently does not, and the BATF thinks there were 102 million guns in private hands at the end of 1968, none of which were required to have SNs.

Having a weapon which once had a SN which is now defaced or obliterated is a problem. Not having a SN shouldn't be a big deal.

psssniper
07-30-2008, 4:50 PM
And heres the interesting twist (dont ask how I found out cause its obvious) IF Leo are running your non serial numbered rifle through the system to see if it's stolen and IF they entered the model number because that's all they could find on the rifle, it's gonna come back as stolen :rolleyes: ..............................multiple times

Californio
07-30-2008, 5:25 PM
And heres the interesting twist (dont ask how I found out cause its obvious) IF Leo are running your non serial numbered rifle through the system to see if it's stolen and IF they entered the model number because that's all they could find on the rifle, it's gonna come back as stolen :rolleyes: ..............................multiple times

Thats what makes me wonder.

AJAX22
07-30-2008, 5:35 PM

ATF Form 1 is only for the creation of NFA restricted firearms.

you could add a serial number if you really want to, but I would sugest not bothering with it.

Just be able to tell the guy that prior to 1968 guns were not required to have serial numbers.

just like prior to 1982 guns could be made open bolt and still be semi auto

Just like prior to 1991 handguns did not have to be purchased through a dealer or registered with the state.

I've taken several serial number less shotguns/rifles out and it has never been an issue.

Police are not allowed to run your serial numbers without probable cause unless you allow them to do so.

Californio
07-30-2008, 5:53 PM
Just like prior to 1991 handguns did not have to be purchased through a dealer or registered with the state.

What was the little multi-part white form for handguns that had to be filled out for the State in the 1980's, did that Make, Model, Serial # ever make it to the current online database?

EOD Guy
07-30-2008, 5:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat

ATF Form 1 is only for the creation of NFA restricted firearms.

I think you missed the significance of the serial number he quoted.

EOD Guy
07-30-2008, 5:59 PM
Prior to the GCA 1968 .22 rifles were not required to have serial numbers from the manufacture. Many manufactures used serial numbers some, manufactures such as Remington did not on some models. Given the paranoia LE has today if you are stopped for a traffic violation and searched etc. this may be a problem.

Is there a solution to transporting pre GCA .22's to the range?

It wasn't just .22 rifles. I have a JC Higgens .30-06 rifle I bought from Sears in the early 60's that doesn't have a serial number.

Moonclip
07-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I owned a Stevens pump shotgun that was made w/o a serial #.