PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA with weapons

kaotikvisions
07-30-2008, 2:58 AM
I am from California but I have lived in Louisiana for the past 5 years that I have been in the military. Are there any laws about moving to CA with weapons that are considered illegal to CA but that I have legally purchased and registered in another state, or do I have to make the "bullet button" mods and make sure it is a OLL in order to avoid any problems?

6172crew
07-30-2008, 5:45 AM
I am from California but I have lived in Louisiana for the past 5 years that I have been in the military. Are there any laws about moving to CA with weapons that are considered illegal to CA but that I have legally purchased and registered in another state, or do I have to make the "bullet button" mods and make sure it is a OLL in order to avoid any problems?

There are 2 ways to bring your weapons to CA legally, if you are still active duty then you can apply for a AW permit...your CO would have to write off on the deal and your AWs would be stored on base or some crap. Or you could run a bullet button or other setup that would keep your stuff CA legal.

Hanguns are good to go unless you have a threaded barrel then you would need a AW permit. There is more to it than that but I would need to know what you plan on bringing back home.

1911su16b870
07-30-2008, 8:53 AM
For your AR15 type rifles, check out the calguns AW flowchart:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
If you do not have a AW permit, your lower receiver must not be listed as a AW (look at the appendices on page two of that link) or as we so affectionately call them, must be an Off List Lower (OLL). Hopefully I got this one right. :)
Thanks for your service! :patriot:

Rumpled
07-30-2008, 8:56 AM
As far as handguns, if you should happen to bring in some that aren't on the safe list and then decide you don't like them - you could sell them to someone here. Say, maybe you decide you don't like the Ruger SR9 and LCP and move to OC. :D

Fjold
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
You cannot bring in any magazines for rifle or pistols that have >10 round capacity unless you owned them when you lived here before 2000.

ShooterMcGavin
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Step 1: Stay in Louisiana
Step 2: Enjoy your 2nd Amendment rights, buy more "Assault Weapons"

This state is the last place a gun enthusiast needs to be if they can help it.

Ding126
07-31-2008, 8:39 AM
Could you bring in your " standard capacity " mags as long as they are disassembled...( Parts )?

kaotikvisions
07-31-2008, 9:53 AM
Step 1: Stay in Louisiana
Step 2: Enjoy your 2nd Amendment rights, buy more "Assault Weapons"

This state is the last place a gun enthusiast needs to be if they can help it.

hah. yes well I would except I love the state of California, even with all their messed up laws.