View Full Version : C&R Pistol question

07-29-2008, 11:41 PM
My uncle has a old Savage Pistol he would like to give me. I am not sure when it was made, but I know it's more than 50 years old. Now the twist, he lives in Nevada.. How could he go about legally transfering it to me? If he were to visit me here in California (bringing the pistol with him), and we were to go to an FFL here, could we process the transaction there? Could he also ship the pistol to a California FFL who would accept it?

Or could he just give it to me FTF in California being that it's 50 or more years old?

07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm first going to assume you don't have a C&R license. If you did you could fly to him, he'd hand it to you, and you'd fly home and fill out a from from CA DOJ.

The easiest route absent the C&R is to have your uncle transfer the gun to your grandparent or parent and then have them transfer it to you.


Mssr. Eleganté
07-30-2008, 5:59 AM
Yes, your uncle can take or ship the pistol to your local FFL where it can then be transfered to you. The pistol is exempt from the safe handgun roster because it is C&R. You will have to pay the DROS fee plus whatever the Dealer wants to charge you for the out-of-state transfer. You will have to have an Handgun Safety Certificate as well.

If he transfers it to his parent (your grandparent) first then this will only add another $19 to the above process if your parent is a California resident or cost the same as the above process if your parent is a Nevada resident.