PDA

View Full Version : How do we educate the ignorant gun owners?

CHS
07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
So, tonight I'm at the Firing Line in Huntington Beach, and there was a guy in the lobby showing off a dress-up kit he's designing for a 10/22. I started chatting him up on it to hear more about it, and then I mentioned the forums full of guys stuffing 10/22's and Model 60's into airsoft shells.

BIG MISTAKE.

He immediately went on to say how it's TOTALLY illegal. Of course, I told him that they aren't illegal, as long as they meet minimum length requirements. Then he started to justify his statement by saying it's not the same as a dress-up kit, because people are modifying airsoft into firing real ammo. Again, I tell him that that's not the case, it's taking a papered/transferred/lawful serialized firearm and adding a dress-up kit, in the way of torn-apart airsoft.

He kept refusing, kept INSISTING that it's a big-time felony and not at all the same as a dress-up kit. He even stated "gray area" at one point.

ARGGH!!!! And the most frustrating part was he himself is designing a ruger 10/22-based P90 dress-up kit!!!

How on earth do we educate these ignorant gun owners? How do we get these fellow gun owners to learn and accept the law, and not legislate by their own ignorance?

RomanDad
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
So, tonight I'm at the Firing Line in Huntington Beach, and there was a guy in the lobby showing off a dress-up kit he's designing for a 10/22. I started chatting him up on it to hear more about it, and then I mentioned the forums full of guys stuffing 10/22's and Model 60's into airsoft shells.

BIG MISTAKE.

He immediately went on to say how it's TOTALLY illegal. Of course, I told him that they aren't illegal, as long as they meet minimum length requirements. Then he started to justify his statement by saying it's not the same as a dress-up kit, because people are modifying airsoft into firing real ammo. Again, I tell him that that's not the case, it's taking a papered/transferred/lawful serialized firearm and adding a dress-up kit, in the way of torn-apart airsoft.

He kept refusing, kept INSISTING that it's a big-time felony and not at all the same as a dress-up kit. He even stated "gray area" at one point.

ARGGH!!!! And the most frustrating part was he himself is designing a ruger 10/22-based P90 dress-up kit!!!

How on earth do we educate these ignorant gun owners? How do we get these fellow gun owners to learn and accept the law, and not legislate by their own ignorance?

How about by knowing the law, chapter and verse, and citing it to them?

Saigon1965
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Show and tell always works best with children.

AJAX22
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I've found the best way to educate them is not to argue with them.

Just invite them out to the range to play with yours.

Showing up to the range with neat toys that are supposedly illegal and not getting arrested for having them makes a big impression on fence sitters and average joe gunowner.

An argument about what is or is not legal is rendered moot when you show up and shoot it at the range.

dfletcher
07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Option #1: You can't teach someone something they don't want
to know.
Option #2: Some people confuse thinking with agreeing; and the
opposite is true.
Option #3: Some minds treat a new thought as the body treats a
new protein - they automatically reject it.

ViPER395
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
A billyclub is how you teach the unteachable. :43:

savageevo
07-30-2008, 6:13 AM
If we had business cards that points them to this direction calguns.net (kestryl) ;) it may sway them to understand our point. I directed many people to this site and now they are hooked. It may just take a little push just to get them to understand.

REDHORSE
07-30-2008, 6:28 AM
Taser = FTW

Ballistic043
07-30-2008, 6:31 AM
the best way to shut them up is to bust out the abridged 2008 CA Penal code book.

http://www.copquest.com/20-1010.htm

this is a good book to have if you travel with OLL's alot. or run into alot of FUD spreading character types.

1859sharps
07-30-2008, 7:38 AM

BIG MISTAKE.

Of course he didn't listen, you told him his business idea wasn't new and had established competition. he has a vested interest in his kit being the "only" legal way in California to dress up a 10/22.

If mating a airsoft kit to a 10/22 is legal, then why would people buy his?

but to educate the average gun owner, just talking, supplying facts, back your knowledge of the law, and just being friendly often is enough. Oh and give them time to think about the new info. Not everyone processes new info instantly, so what you may think of as resistance may actually just be needing time to get used to new ideas and information.

motorhead
07-30-2008, 9:27 AM
brain surgery.

Beelzy
07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Should have put a $100 bill on a bet. That shuts them up every time! ;)

Gator Monroe
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
You could have walked out to your car and brought back in your WASR 22 side folder with a SOG 10/30 mag in it and said "This is perfictly legal" :eek:

Fjold
07-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Sometimes you just can't fix "stupid".

Gator Monroe
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
brain surgery.

You can't fix Liberal ../

nicki
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
you guys got my interest.

Any body got some pictures of a dress up ruger 10/22 that they could share with us.

It would be nice to see some of the possiblities.

One thing I was thinking is that a stcok ruger 10/22 and a dressed up one side by side could be a useful education tool, especially for non gun owners.

Nicki

Gator Monroe
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Krinker Plinker ?:eek:

Rob454
07-30-2008, 2:50 PM
Some people are so adamant they are right you cant change their minds. Theire right and youre wrong and you can show them on DOJ letter head and they will still say I dont know its a gray area. I usually dont bother wasting my time if theire that closed minded
Rob

outersquare
07-30-2008, 4:53 PM
Should have put a $100 bill on a bet. That shuts them up every time! ;)

lol, about six months ago me and coworker had an argument about house prices, i insisted they would still be down in a year, he didn't believe it, i told him to i would bet $100 to start, i was willing to bet up in the thousands, he had nothing to say after that. :43:

DedEye
07-30-2008, 4:54 PM
Some people are so adamant they are right you cant change their minds. Theire right and youre wrong and you can show them on DOJ letter head and they will still say I dont know its a gray area. I usually dont bother wasting my time if theire that closed minded
Rob

Tell me about it. It's even worse when they're FFLs. I had one tell me that bullet buttons were illegal and everyone using them was going to jail. I kept repeating to him that the penal code explicitly lists a bullet tip as a tool which took some of the wind out of his sails, but he wasn't entirely convinced nonetheless.

gazzavc
07-30-2008, 5:22 PM
Trying to convince some complete thickheads about legal gun compliance laws is like trying to teach a pig to sing.

It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Gary

Glock22Fan
07-30-2008, 6:26 PM
When people say that something is illegal, there's often no point in showing them the penal code, because they insist that there's another section that you are hiding from them.

We've seen this recently on this board, "My friend says it is illegal, show me the cases that prove it isn't so!"

Bowser
07-30-2008, 6:32 PM
you guys got my interest.

Any body got some pictures of a dress up ruger 10/22 that they could share with us.

It would be nice to see some of the possiblities.

One thing I was thinking is that a stcok ruger 10/22 and a dressed up one side by side could be a useful education tool, especially for non gun owners.

Nicki

If you have the money to trick out your 10/22 into an airsoft SAW m249 then here is it...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217901

vinny_land
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Showing evidence (penal codes, the LAW, etc) is probably the best way to educate someone. A guy in my class was arguing with me that you need a CCW to OC:rolleyes:. I tried to tell him that you didnt and the whole class noticed that we were getting into a heated argument. Simply telling him about certain credible sources shut him up because I knew he didnt wanted to accept the fact that he was wrong:90::banghead: