PDA

View Full Version : Joining the NRA

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 3:13 PM
I was about to subscribe to membership last night and most likely will today but I read some things that where a little off putting by some long time members recently.

They say when renewing or signing up the free gift doesn't come at first then you get mail asking for more money and if you really want the gift fill out the form and mail. Then some where saying even after doing a 2 year renewal they kept getting asked for more money and to renew membership just weeks into new membership?

Has anyone here had those kind of experiences?

Oldmandan
11-11-2015, 3:24 PM
Yes, they are raising their membership fees in the near future. Get the lifetime membership if you want to lock in.

They will always ask for money, that's what their about, and what they do... That's how they pay for lawyers to defend our rights. They also have many fundraisers during the year. They're gonna hit you up on those too.

Who gives a crap about the free gift?

afteractionreport
11-11-2015, 3:29 PM
First. You don't sign up for the free gifts. 2nd they're always going to send you mail unless you opt out online or through the phone. Just ignore the mail sometimes its interesting most of it is junk.

Lastly just remember your sign up date and you Will know when to renew. It Will also Be on your membership card...l

Good luck:)

Mayor McRifle
11-11-2015, 3:42 PM

That's what I was thinking. The free gifts are kind of cheesy anyway. The real gift is that you're part of a movement that is taking a stand against gun grabbers nationwide. Consider your membership fee a donation to the cause. After that, proudly display your NRA sticker on your car or truck. Let the world know who the NRA really is -- just regular, responsible, everyday people like us who aren't afraid to stand up for our right to keep and bear arms in defense of ourselves, our families, and the people in our communities.

Lucky Scott
11-11-2015, 3:48 PM
I am a member but don't want the hassle of them asking for more money. I just asked them to take me off their list and no more calls or hassles.

Wordupmybrotha
11-11-2015, 3:48 PM

First. You don't sign up for the free gifts.

That's what I was thinking. The free gifts are kind of cheesy anyway. The real gift is that you're part of a movement that is taking a stand against gun grabbers nationwide. Consider your membership fee a donation to the cause. After that, proudly display your NRA sticker on your car or truck. Let the world know who the NRA really is -- just regular, responsible, everyday people like us who aren't afraid to stand up for our right to keep and bear arms in defense of ourselves, our families, and the people in our communities.

Echo that. The free gift is a cheesey hat that doesn't fit. I'd prefer that they save the money and use it to fight the anti's.

Yeah, I got some annoying phone calls to renew. Whatever.

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 3:51 PM
haha I don't care about the gift im just saying what others said.. Im signing up for the magazine.. JK!! Yea I want to do lifetime but I think Ill have to do a year first then renew to lifetime next year when the funds are a little better.. Hopefully the rates are not increased too much!

readysetgo
11-11-2015, 4:05 PM
Just do it. There are sometimes little quirks, often misunderstandings but we see that in many areas of life.

Check out acegunnr's excellent thread, he keeps it up to date pretty well: $25 NRA Membership - FREE GIFTS AVAILABLE! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=662144)

There are also opportunities for Life Membership at reduced rates and even monthly pay, see here: NRA: upgr. to Life, Endowment, Patron, Benefactor: $500;250;300;350 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1126504)

Rates are set to increase beginning of the year, FYI.

and finally...

[Obligatory junk mail retort]

NRA Member FAQs (http://www.nramemberservices.org/members/faq/faq.aspx)
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.
or
NRA Privacy Policy (http://membership.nrahq.org/privacy.asp)
Opt Out
We also use your information to send you notices in the mail or by email about special member benefits, discounts and offers. If you do not wish to receive mailings, you can: (1) opt out of email lists immediately by following the instructions at the bottom of each email; (2) email us using our Contact Us page (http://contact.nra.org/), (3) call us at 1-800-672-3888; or (4) write to us at National Rifle Association of America, 11250 Waples Mill Road; Fairfax, VA 22030.

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 4:11 PM
Just do it. There are sometimes little quirks, often misunderstandings but we see that in many areas of life.

Check out acegunnr's excellent thread, he keeps it up to date pretty well: $25 NRA Membership - FREE GIFTS AVAILABLE! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=662144)

There are also opportunities for Life Membership at reduced rates and even monthly pay, see here: NRA: upgr. to Life, Endowment, Patron, Benefactor: $500;250;300;350 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1126504)

Rates are set to increase beginning of the year, FYI.

and finally...

[Obligatory junk mail retort]

NRA Member FAQs (http://www.nramemberservices.org/members/faq/faq.aspx)

or
NRA Privacy Policy (http://membership.nrahq.org/privacy.asp)

Thank you!

ordc
11-11-2015, 4:21 PM
If a person owns a gun, they should join the NRA. They used to compromise way too much back in the day, but now they are proving themselves to be more and more a no compromise gun rights organization.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 4:55 PM
If a person owns a gun, they should join the NRA. They used to compromise way too much back in the day, but now they are proving themselves to be more and more a no compromise gun rights organization.

I just joined and I dont own a gun yet :)

I signed up and all went trough but I haven't got an email confirmation is this normal?

wpage
11-11-2015, 4:57 PM
Join and become a life member...

Like any other non profit. They will always ask for more. :p

Wordupmybrotha
11-11-2015, 5:12 PM

I signed up and all went trough but I haven't got an email confirmation is this normal?

:thumbsup: Excellent!
Don't know...give it couple of days?

John J
11-11-2015, 5:26 PM
To be called weekly for money, have your email assaulted by them and your mail box filled weekly.

I joined and sent them a modest check every year. They spent more money on postage and late night phone calls to my home than I contributed. I respect their ideas, I despise their tactics and no longer contribute. 5

I was about to subscribe to membership last night and most likely will today but I read some things that where a little off putting by some long time members recently.

They say when renewing or signing up the free gift doesn't come at first then you get mail asking for more money and if you really want the gift fill out the form and mail. Then some where saying even after doing a 2 year renewal they kept getting asked for more money and to renew membership just weeks into new membership?

Garv
11-11-2015, 5:38 PM
I went online and checked the "Do Not Promote" box like readysetgo said.

I get next to nothing extra now.

wireless
11-11-2015, 6:08 PM

My free gift was a little NRA pocket knife. I signed up for lifetime with monthly payments. About once a month I get stuff in the mail from them. Not a big deal really, I just throw it out. This is what they do. I wouldn't expect anything else from them. That's what political organizations.

That being said, I didn't sign up for the free gift.

mabilis_matulis
11-11-2015, 6:13 PM
Go sign up..

ordc
11-11-2015, 6:14 PM
NRA yearly membership is not pricey at all. They give you a magazine subscription and a whole host of other benefits for what I think is $25 bucks? Keep in mind. Yes they need money to fight the Bloombergs of the world. But what is more important? The number of members they represent! I believe it is 5 million? Which is a shame because if every gun owner were a member, that number would be 10 to 20 times more. That number gives anti gun politicians pause. Having that membership number is key. I know they practically harass you for money, but that is a small price to pay for what they do. I gave to the GOP a long while back and I get more mail asking for them than I do the NRA and I am not even a Republican! GOP is just significantly less bad in my eyes.

Sabesimpson
11-11-2015, 7:11 PM
I opt out of the free gifts I'd rather my money to go to the cause and not a cheesy what ever they are giving away. I do enjoy the rifleman mag. Thought. Lots of good info in it.

homelessdude
11-11-2015, 7:25 PM
I've been a member for years and I have never been bothered with phone calls.( don't give them a number ) E-mail requests are another matter. But no more than the other half a dozen gun rights org. i belong to. They are by far the best protection you can by to protect your rights,

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 8:03 PM
As a fairly new resident to the US I do fully support their movement. I 100% believe that the good guys should have at the very least the right to be on level playing fields with the bad guy if God forbid they need to be.

Furthermore I live in a county where CCW is next to impossible to obtain but a vast majority of the bad guys and there is many are carrying firearms..

On that same note anything I donate or contribute to I do on my own free will and generously. So I will be of course opting out of the calls and mails etc.

Pardini
11-11-2015, 8:19 PM
Membership dues don't pay for lawyers or lobbying, only donations do. If you want to help pay for the pro 2A fight then you have to donate just being a member is great but not enough.

The gifts do take awhile to show and you might get a postcard saying they will be delayed but you will get them.

EspoMan
11-11-2015, 8:22 PM
Like others said, you don't join for the free gifts, you join because they help protect our 2A rights. Second, who cares about the mail or calls? Really?? First world problems man... Funny stuff really when you stop and think about it..

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 8:22 PM
Membership dues don't pay for lawyers or lobbying, only donations do. If you want to help pay for the pro 2A fight then you have to donate just being a member is great but not enough.

The gifts do take awhile to show and you might get a postcard saying they will be delayed but you will get them.

No I fully understand that. And anything I support I do donate and contribute when I can sometimes I do more than that..

smle-man
11-11-2015, 8:27 PM
I haven't received a phone call or mail (besides the magazine) from them for years since I opted out. Any firearms enthusiast who doesn't belong to the NRA should be ashamed. I've belonged since 1972. Wish I had done the lifetime membership back then!

North Bay Guy
11-11-2015, 8:29 PM
Man they have like 5 million members. You'll get your free gift for joining when they get to you. I requested a new member card and I didn't get it for 2 years. They will ask for donations.

readysetgo
11-11-2015, 8:29 PM
Thanks for joining up irishdannyboy! I'm glad to stand with you. I think we'll help make a difference, even if it's a small one but it might be a big one too.

Cokebottle
11-11-2015, 8:33 PM
Echo that. The free gift is a cheesey hat that doesn't fit. I'd prefer that they save the money and use it to fight the anti's.

Yeah, I got some annoying phone calls to renew. Whatever.
Yup.

The hats are cool, and the jacket that I got with my lifetime membership is really nice (don't know how they knew I wore XL).
The duffle bags are nice... I use them as overnight bags for 1-2 day trips for work.

The flashlights, knives, multitools... anything other than "soft-ware" you can get better quality at the Dollar Store.

The free gifts DO come, just not right away. The followup donations are not a contingency of getting the gift.

acegunnr
11-11-2015, 9:09 PM
$25 NRA Membership - FREE GIFTS AVAILABLE! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=662144)

SkyHawk
11-11-2015, 9:17 PM
I always got everything they promised without it being held hostage for more money, and if you ask them to stop calling - they do stop right away and honor your request. Everyone who owns a gun should be an NRA member, period.

SWalt
11-11-2015, 9:25 PM

Good job! And yes you will get junk mail and solicitations. Do what I do, just ignore it. When you can afford it or feel inclined, send in a donation or 2. Hey...they even have raffles for guns, $20 might get you a few new firearms. Of course, slim chance but hey its a chance!

ElDub1950
11-11-2015, 9:26 PM
Of course they want members to renew and make donations. They do good work and it's expensive. I renew ahead of time and make other donations. It's in my budget.

I also make donation to CalGuns Foundation .. everyone should.

It's easy to opt out of paper mail just call them. I ask to only send it via email.

Cokebottle
11-11-2015, 9:29 PM
Of course they want members to renew and make donations. They do good work and it's expensive. I renew ahead of time and make other donations. It's in my budget.

I also make donation to CalGuns Foundation .. everyone should.

Their "renewal notices" are one reason I ended up going to Lifetime.

I was getting renewal notices when I knew I was not up for renewal.
Then I noticed that I was no longer getting First Freedom... yup... my membership had expired.
Renewed... then the same thing... renewal notices every few months (when I had renewed for 2 or 3 years).

This went on for over 10 years before I got tired of it and just went Lifetime.

SWalt
11-11-2015, 9:36 PM
Good thing OP didn't sign up for Frontsight. 3 e mails a day! LMAO

Cokebottle
11-11-2015, 9:38 PM
Good thing OP didn't sign up for Frontsight. 3 e mails a day! LMAO
Or USCCA

Ugly Hombre
11-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Join the NRA if you own a gun and want to keep it, don't give them a phone number- if you don't want to.

Standing offer to my pals- free six pack of beer if you sign up.

So far have signed up about 1/2 doz. guys.

I don't need their free stuff- just want them to continue to fight for the Constitution and continue to piss off the Bolshevik New Democrat Sumvitchs.

They are damn good at that- money well spent.

:D

ordc
11-11-2015, 10:08 PM
I think anyone joining the NRA for "gifts" is missing the point. I could not care less about them, reason I do not know if I received them in a timely manner or not. Though some of the ones I have gotten were made in China which does irk me which had me write an email please do not have Chinese made stuff as gifts. It's typically worthless.

coachrv
11-11-2015, 10:32 PM
A life membership is $500 at Tom Gresham's guntalk.com

GW
11-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Join to preserve your Second Amendment rights
Join to be counted as someone who won't sit back while politicians try to rob you of your rights.
When they see we are 4, 5, 6 million strong, they pay attention.

Irish-Dannyboy
11-11-2015, 11:04 PM
To those implying I might have signed up for a duffel bag you obviously didn't read the thread properly. I opted out of the gift it's not what I wanted I was using it as an example I read someone else say I was just getting an idea of how the operate their business. Lol in not going to become a member for some bag I'll never use.

jthuggs
11-12-2015, 12:41 AM
My tip for the receiving emails thing is I have one "junk" email address that I only use when signing up for things, entering contests, etc. I cruise through it once in a while. My main email is what I actually use for business, friends, important things. I never gave NRA my phone number, so I never bothered by them. I am due to renew soon, I think I am going to upgrade to life. Makes sense, especially for the younger crowd.

poriggity
11-12-2015, 1:58 AM

Membership dues pay for Wayne LaPierre's $972,000 a year salary... Sure, the NRA is non profit, but the Executive vice president/CEO of the NRA sure isn't.

Irish-Dannyboy
11-12-2015, 2:54 AM
Membership dues pay for Wayne LaPierre's $972,000 a year salary... Sure, the NRA is non profit, but the Executive vice president/CEO of the NRA sure isn't.

I need to start my own non-profit, non profit CEO's seem to on much better salaries than a lot of for profit CEO's. I also noticed that the non-profit offices and buildings ive been to in the past few years where much better equipped and a lot more fancy than most for-profit organizations.

Being a non profit has measure tax relief i guess.

JPZ
11-12-2015, 5:38 AM
I opted out of the emails and still get something once in a while lol

doesn't really bother me

ordc
11-12-2015, 6:03 AM
I am not going to judge LaPierre's salary. The man is being constantly demonized. Probably has to deal with death threats. That would not be enough money for me to deal with such toxicity. Besides, the NRA is not portraying itself as some religious, self sacrificing charity. It's a gun rights organization. And it has proven successful in over 40 states. Unfortunately, California is not one of them. Which is one of the explanations I give when they call me for more money. I say something like, "I live in California. Public lands to go shooting are hours away from where I live and worse, I cannot own a certain firearms like a true AR15 or have a CCW. I joined and give a bit to prevent a domino effect to other states but any more I give is not going to help me. Until you guys show me you are doing something here that is positive I cannot give today."

skosh69
11-12-2015, 6:33 AM

This ^^^^^

Dannytheman
11-12-2015, 6:33 AM
Let me add a few thing here.

When you become a Life member, a percentage of that money goes into a certificate of deposit that makes money. The money made via interest is spent on the gifts they offer new memberships and the marketing mail they send out.

There is a fund like this at varying members status, when you increase to Endowment, Patron and Benefactor, they each have similar trusts and percentages to pay for items. Golden Eagle status has a percentage and it continues on up to higher donation levels and higher NRA levels.

NONE of the annual dollars paid by any annual member is used to send mail, or solicit you for higher membership.

I opt in for all the mail and all the solicitations. I like to see what our organization is doing with the money. Some go straight in the trash, others get thoroughly read. But I know what's going on.

I have a room full of "Stuff!" Knives, bags, challenge coins, T shirts, Polo shirts, because I do indeed donate MORE than my membership. I think I can afford a couple bucks a month here and there to help with the fight.

However, I respect everyone's right to choose.

poriggity
11-12-2015, 11:50 AM
I need to start my own non-profit, non profit CEO's seem to on much better salaries than a lot of for profit CEO's. I also noticed that the non-profit offices and buildings ive been to in the past few years where much better equipped and a lot more fancy than most for-profit organizations.

Being a non profit has measure tax relief i guess.
Seriously.. my wife used to work for a non profit healthcare company, and they routinely were looking for places and ways to spend money, since they needed to spend it in order to maintain non profit status.. they had the best perks and nicest offices I've ever seen.

poriggity
11-12-2015, 11:55 AM
I am not going to judge LaPierre's salary. The man is being constantly demonized. Probably has to deal with death threats. That would not be enough money for me to deal with such toxicity. Besides, the NRA is not portraying itself as some religious, self sacrificing charity. It's a gun rights organization. And it has proven successful in over 40 states. Unfortunately, California is not one of them. Which is one of the explanations I give when they call me for more money. I say something like, "I live in California. Public lands to go shooting are hours away from where I live and worse, I cannot own a certain firearms like a true AR15 or have a CCW. I joined and give a bit to prevent a domino effect to other states but any more I give is not going to help me. Until you guys show me you are doing something here that is positive I cannot give today."

You need to remember, he accepted the position, knowing the consequences. Being "demonized", does not necessarily mean he deserves such an a huge salary. Imho, 200 or 250k a year is not unreasonable, but almost a million a year is a bit ludicrous . When you work for a non profit, imho, you do so because you believe in their cause, not because they are willing to pay you big bucks. Just my opinion. The salaries of the top two officers of the nra is enough to keep me from signing up. Their are plenty of grass roots organizations that I can donate to that don't have exorbitant salaries of their ceo's.

NOTABIKER
11-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Simple No NRA followed by NO GUNS.Bet on it

oddball
11-12-2015, 2:13 PM
Any self-respecting firearms owner should be a member of the NRA. If one only has a single organization to join, it has to be the NRA. My wife, my teenage son, and I are all Life Members.

The NRA has 5 million members, a lot of people. But imagine if we can get it up to 10 million. The NRA would have even more carte blanche in Washington DC.

Pardini
11-12-2015, 4:25 PM

So I paid Wayne less than a quarter dollar this year? A bargain I think. The fact that the NRA is a non profit is a great benefit to us members. I'm not 100% in step with all they do, but I'm not even close to 10% in step with Obama and he's cost me a hell of a lot more than a quarter this year.

If you want to join the NRA but don't want to give Wayne his 20 some cents of your dues, PM me and I'll reimburse you.

GW
11-12-2015, 10:12 PM
You need to remember, he accepted the position, knowing the consequences. Being "demonized", does not necessarily mean he deserves such an a huge salary. Imho, 200 or 250k a year is not unreasonable, but almost a million a year is a bit ludicrous . When you work for a non profit, imho, you do so because you believe in their cause, not because they are willing to pay you big bucks. Just my opinion. The salaries of the top two officers of the nra is enough to keep me from signing up. Their are plenty of grass roots organizations that I can donate to that don't have exorbitant salaries of their ceo's.

Find whatever excuse you need to justify not joining to yourself.
Just ask yourself this:
When was the last time you heard politicians or the press or the Brady's whining about the SAF or the CCRKBA? Even though they are fighting the good fight, they are small potatoes compared to the NRA.
Complaining about Wayne LaPierre's salary is a pretty lame reason for not joining.

Irish-Dannyboy
11-12-2015, 10:39 PM

Yea id like to seem them press on California a little harder. I was just reading and article on Guns & Ammo about the best and worst states for gun owners.. Starting from the worst number 51 Washington.. California was number 46.

I mean what really irks me is in Los Angeles county where all the bad guys and little thug wannabes can carry no problem, some of them even brash enough to open carry in certain parts. The good guy can kiss the sheriffs *** all day but he wont get a CCW unless he can demonstrate a real threat to his life.

ordc
11-12-2015, 11:02 PM
California is TOXIC! I hate it here. It was not this way growing up. I am looking at Florida. I love it there! Very conservative. I am fairly convinced that Obamanation won the state during his presidential elections via cheating because other than that, the government at nearly every level is GOP except for the one Dem senator.

Ronin2
11-12-2015, 11:39 PM

^^^^^^ Yet another ignorant, uninformed gun owner...Shocked, I'm shocked! Here is a recap of NRA posted here in Calguns by Clint Montfort, one of the attorneys at the Law firm of Michel & Associates, the NRA's Ca law firm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm posting this here as there still seems to be a lack of awareness as to what the NRA has been busy doing in CA. (For those of you who are already aware, and have already seen this information, I apologize for posting it yet again.)

In addition to employing a full-time lobbyist and support team to fight legislation in the Capital, in addition to everything Paul Payne does throughout the state, the NRA retains a CA specific law firm. Below is a partial list of some of the recent litigation, regulatory, and local matters our office has worked on for the NRA.

In addition to these items, our office and the NRA are heavily involved in litigation in other states that will be used as precedent in CA in future cases. The NRA currently has three cases pending before the Ninth Circuit, in additional to multiple state and federal cases that are working their way up.

Keep in mind that the standard of review for the 2A is still unsettled. Suits that may make sense in the future may not be wise now. Also note that in many cases funded by the NRA or litigated by NRA lawyers, the NRA isn't always the named plaintiff.

Here is a partial list of what the NRA, through our office, has been doing for CA gun owners:

NOTABLE ACTIVE/RECENT LITIGATION:

Peruta v. County of San Diego – Obtained a 132 page published Opinion from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals confirming that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to carry firearm in public. The decision struck down San Diego's "good cause" policy, and expressly held that self-defense is the only good cause an individual needs to obtain a CCW.

Parker v. State of California - Lawsuit successfully striking down main portions of California’s AB 962, which would have banned mail order ammunition purchases and required registration and thumb-printing for in-store purchases. Plaintiffs successfully defended against the State’s appeal resulting in a 41 page published opinion. The opinion is the first in the nation to confirm that gun laws must provide a heightened level of clarity under the Due Process clause. This lawsuit was the basis for the governor’s veto of subsequent legislation similar to AB 962 in 2011, as well as the defeat of legislation that would have expanded the law to include all ammunition during the 2013 legislative session.

Fiscal v. San Francisco – Lawsuit successfully striking down San Francisco’s citywide ban on handgun possession as preempted by California law, resulting in an appellate court opinion bolstering the preemption doctrine for use against future anti-gun ordinances and a payment of $380,000 to the NRA to reimburse it for its attorneys’ fees.

Doe v. San Francisco Housing Authority - Lawsuit successfully prompting repeal of San Francisco’s ban on possessing firearms in public housing. The ban was rescinded and the NRA negotiated a formal settlement agreement to prevent similar restrictions in the future.

Jackson v. City of San Francisco – Lawsuit challenges San Francisco ordinances requiring handguns be locked up while in the home, banning the discharge of firearms (lawsuit already forced amendment authorizing lawful defensive discharges), and prohibiting sales of common self-defense ammunition. Plaintiffs received a favorable published opinion in opposing the City’s challenge to their standing, paving the way for other plaintiffs to bring Second Amendment challenges in the 9th Circuit. Plaintiffs’ appeal of the district court’s denial of their motion for preliminary injunction has been fully briefed and argued before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

McKay v. Sheriff Hutchens – Lawsuit challenging Orange County’s strict requirements for obtaining a CCW, filed after the California legislature banned the “unloaded open carry” of firearms. This case is a follow-up to the Peruta and Richards cases which relied (partially) on the plaintiffs’ ability to openly carry an unloaded firearm. Plaintiffs’ appeal of the district court’s denial of their motion for preliminary injunction has been fully briefed and argued before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and is currently awaiting a decision.

SFVPOA v. S.F. - Lawsuit seeking to confirm Second Amendment protections for magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds, and challenging San Francisco's ban on the possession of these magazines.

Assenza v. City of Los Angeles – Successfully enforced an 18-year old consent decree against the LAPD and Chief Beck to ensure that all members of the public were properly receiving the requisite CCW application and CCW policy when sought at station houses, and requiring each LAPD station to conspicuously post a sign explaining where the application and policy can be found.

Gentry v. Harris - Lawsuit challenges the California Department of Justice’s misuse of DROS fees collected from gun purchasers at the time of sale. The suit seeks to stop DOJ from continuing to stick law-abiding gun owners with the bill for funding its general law enforcement projects, by challenging the appropriation of these funds as an invalid tax.

Davis v. City of Los Angeles – Lawsuit challenging Police Chief Beck's failure to adhere to an 18-year old consent decree in processing CCW applications and determining what constitutes good cause to issue CCWs to LA residents. Successfully forced LAPD to disclose documents concerning its past abuses.

Bauer v. Harris - Lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the fees DOJ requires in order to purchase firearms in California and the use of those fees’ revenues for purposes unrelated to lawful firearm purchasers exercising their right to acquire a firearm. Litigation is ongoing.

CBD v. BLM – Successfully intervened on behalf of hunters in an Arizona lawsuit in which radical environmental groups sued the BLM to prohibit the use of lead ammunition for hunting in the Arizona Strip, a classic hunting area. The lawsuit was successfully defeated and officially dismissed by the court in April.

CBD v. USFS – NRA, joined by Safari Club International, filed a motion to intervene in a lawsuit brought by radical environmental groups that allege the United States Forest Service is violating the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) by allowing hunters to use lead-based ammunition in the Kaibab National Forest in northern Arizona. That motion is currently pending decision by the court.

CBD v. EPA - NRA and Safari Club International jointly intervened in matter opposing radical environmental group’s efforts to ban lead ammunition nationwide under TSCA. The NRA’s and SCI’s motion to have the cased dismissed is currently pending.

Pizzo v. Newsom - Obtained amicus status and defeated ill-conceived and poorly prepared claims threatening to undermine efforts in Jackson v. San Francisco. In dismissing those claims on standing (and avoiding a damaging merits ruling) the Court followed the favorable “standing analysis” secured by NRA attorneys in Jackson, and disregarded the watered-down standing argument pushed for by the City.

Mehl v. Blanas – Submitted amicus brief and participated in oral argument in 9th Circuit review of this ill-conceived and poorly prepared case challenging CCW laws and policies, to explain defects in case and that better cases existed for deciding the CCW issues, in attempt to avoid bad case law that would impact other CCW cases. Such efforts may have been the reason the Court disposed of the case in an unpublished decision that avoided reaching the substantive legal questions, leaving those questions to be decided in better cases like Peruta or McKay.

Richards v. Prieto - Filed amicus brief in 9th Circuit Court of Appeals supporting Second Amendment Foundation and other appellants who sued Yolo County, challenging CCW issuance laws and policies.

Calguns Foundation v. San Mateo County – Filed amicus brief with California Court of Appeals in a case where plaintiffs challenged a county ordinance banning the possession of firearms in parks as being preempted. The CRPA Foundation’s brief sought to bolster the plaintiffs’ argument, but to also show the court that other, better arguments, that plaintiffs either did not raise or conceded, show the ordinance is preempted. Unfortunately, the court disagreed. CRPA Foundation is now preparing a request for depublication of the opinion to the California Supreme Court.

Nordyke v. Alameda County – Filed amicus brief in 9th Circuit Court of Appeals supporting gun show promoters who challenged an ordinance prohibiting possession of firearms and ammunition on county-owned property, thereby ending their gun show.

Maikhio v. California - Assisted attorney, Stephen Halbrook, in drafting and submitting an amicus brief in support of petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court to address whether the same Fourth Amendment standard of reasonable suspicion of a violation of law that applies to law enforcement officers who stop vehicles on public roads applies to game wardens who stop hunters’ and anglers’ vehicles on public roads.

Millender v. County of Los Angeles – Co-authored with attorney, Stephen Halbrook, an amicus briefs in the US Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit in support of challenge to officers’ ability to write broad search warrants and to seize firearms unrelated to the alleged crime.

People v. Nguyen – Filed request for depublication with California Supreme Court of a potentially very dangerous appellate court decision for firearm owners, since it upheld criminal penalties for possession of mere firearm parts.

People v. Delacy - Co-authored petition for writ of certiorari to the US Supreme Court in a case used as vehicle to address courts' varying interpretations of Heller's "presumptively lawful" language and whether discriminatory classifications that affect the fundamental right to keep and bear arms are subject merely to rational basis scrutiny.
Litigation against the State and against cities is pending. And more amicus briefs in important cases are expected Additional lawsuits will be filed soon if many of the gun regulations currently being considered in Sacramento are passed!

REGULATORY MATTERS:

California Fish and Game Commission -

(A) Lead Ammunition: Gathered thousands of records from agencies involved in the condor recovery program, and worked with scientists to debunk pseudo-science being used to support the theory of condor lead poisoning and death from the alleged ingestion of lead ammunition. Convinced the Commission to again reconsider the validity of the pseudo-science before considering any further limitations on the use of lead ammunition and the expansion of the “Condor Zone” lead ammunition ban. Also convinced the Commission to form a lead working committee to investigate the real source of lead in the environment that is causing elevated blood-lead levels in California condors and other wildlife. Based upon the information that we provided, the Commission further admonished the environmental organizations pushing for the lead ammunition ban expansion against lobbying the California Legislature to achieve their anti-lead agenda.

Ronin2
11-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Though generally less noted among issues currently litigated in the firearm rights context, these lead ammunition efforts are crucial to preserving Second Amendment rights; specifically, the availability of ammunition. The attacks on lead ammo are constantly being monitored and responded to.

(B) Carrying Firearms: Submitted letters demanding repeal of regulations prohibiting the possession of firearms in certain places and situations, and currently continue negotiations with Commission to achieve such.

Firearm Regulations – Litigating Definition of “Assault Weapons,” “Zip Guns,” 80% Firearms, etc. - via criminal cases and legal memoranda with agencies, influencing how certain firearm laws are applied and enforced.

OAL Petition re DOJ “Assault Weapons” Regulations – Submitted regulatory comment letter in support of the successful Petition filed with the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) by Franklin Armory. The OAL issued a ruling declaring the DOJ’s policy of limiting the issuance of “assault weapons” permits to individual employees of corporations an illegal underground regulation. The ruling paves the way for firearms-related businesses to have permits issued in the company’s name, as was intended by California law.

Microstamping – Submitted rounds of comment letters opposing Cal-DOJ ’s proposed regulations implementing law requiring new handgun models sold in California to be equipped with a “microstamping” mechanism.

ATF Study re Shotgun Importability – Submitted a comment letter to ATF correcting and clarifying some of the California firearm laws addressed in a draft ATF Study that could result in banning the importation of self-defense shotguns, so as to avoid such laws forming the basis of ATF’s decision to ban such shotguns.

DTSC re Ammunition – Submitted comment letter to OAL about proposed regulations from the Department of Toxic Substances Control to raise questions about the controversial Green Chemistry Initiative’s potential negative impact on lead ammunition usage by hunters and target shooters.

Penal Code Renumbering – Assisted with renumbering of California Penal Code sections concerning firearms and other weapons intending to avoid unintended substantive changes to the renumbered sections that would be adverse to firearm owners.

Miscellaneous – Monitor and communicate with California DOJ over various firearm related matters that sometimes cannot be disclosed.

NRA / CRPA LOCAL ORDINANCE PROJECT ACCOMPLISHMENTS & ACTIVITIES:

Azusa – Successfully opposed an ordinance that would have placed onerous and unnecessary zoning and operation restrictions on licensed firearm dealers.

Berkeley – Served City with pre-litigation letter which resulted in the repeal of an ordinance prohibiting possession of semiautomatic-rifles.

Capitola – Successfully opposed a package of gun control ordinances that would have placed draconian restrictions on licensed firearm dealers, prohibited gun shows, and drastically limited the rights of lawful gun owners to possess firearm within the City’s limit.

Claremont – Assisted coordination of grass-roots CRPA - NRA member opposition to a proposed resolution supporting a federal “assault weapon” ban.

Desert Hot Springs - Successfully opposed an ordinance that would have banned possession of firearms on almost all public property.

El Dorado County – Assisted NRA member in successfully opposing a homeowners’ association’s proposal to amend its rules to ban the discharge of firearms and air-guns on all properties in the community.

Emeryville, Fairfield, & Long Beach – Successfully opposed ordinances seeking ammunition-transfer registration.

Fresno – Assisted with the drafting of a successful City Council resolution supporting a shall-issue policy with regard to issuance of CCWs within the city.

Glendale – Opposed proposed ordinance banning firearms and ammunition on all city property, targeting the Glendale Gun Show. Submitted pre-litigation demand letters outlining legal arguments against ordinance and attended city council meetings.

Lemoore – Provided input to city council in drafting a pro Second Amendment resolution.

Los Angeles – (1) Preparing arguments to oppose proposed ordinance requiring electronic transmission of ammunition sales-registration records to LAPD; (2) Preparing arguments to oppose proposed ordinance banning sale and possession of BB guns of certain colors; (3) Submitted letters opposing proposed ordinance banning possession of magazines of more than 10 rounds; (4) Submitted letter opposing proposed expansion of gun-purchaser warning-letter program, including increasing the fee on firearm dealers to fund the program, due to its spreading misinformation and intimidating firearm purchasers. Resulted in the program being discontinued for about a year and, although it was reinstituted, the fee increase was defeated.

Oakley – Successfully opposed ordinance that would have prohibited gunsmiths from operating in residential areas.

Pleasant Hill - Submitted opposition letter that prompted the pulling of an ill-conceived ordinance that would have created restrictive zoning regulations for firearm dealers. The letter also led to termination of the secretive ad hoc committee behind the ordinance.

Redwood City – Submitted letter on behalf of gun-owning boat owners demanding the City repeal of a provision in its lease for docking boats in a city-owned marina that prohibits possession of firearms. Currently in communication with city attorney to negotiate its repeal.

Richmond – Forced the City to repeal its ordinance banning possession of “large-capacity magazines” by sending the city a draft legal complaint challenging the ordinance on preemption grounds and threatening to file if it didn’t.

San Diego – Submitted a letter opposing fee increase for licensed firearm dealers, resulting in the elimination of the illegal fee the City was charging dealers for employee background checks.

San Francisco – (1) Submitted letters opposing ordinances considered by the city that would ban the possession of hollow-point ammunition, and prepared lawsuit which forced SF to admit in writing that it’s ordinance does not ban hollow-point ammunition, and that it applies to virtually nothing; (2) Flooded the record with materials proving hollow-point ammunition is in common use for lawful purposes in response to the City’s attempt to adopt “findings” justifying its ban on the sale of hollow-point ammunition challenged in the Jackson case; and (3) Preparing opposition to package of proposed ordinances, including a ban on possession of 10+ round magazines a requirement that all ammunition sales be registered.

San Jose – Successfully opposed an ordinance that would have required owners of so-called “assault weapons” to register and store such firearms with the police department, and to provide the department with a reasonable explanation of “need” before their firearms could be released to them.

San Mateo County - Served a pre-litigation letter that prompted the sponsor of several LCAV Model Ordinances to pull consideration of those anti-gun owner ordinances, including a dealer regulation scheme that would make it practically impossible to sell guns in that county.

Santa Clara – Successfully opposed an ordinance that would have prohibited all firearms in Santa Clara City parks, even for CCWs.

South San Francisco - Successfully defeated proposed ordinance that would have prohibited the sale of hollow-point ammunition and required registration of all ammunition sales. Worked behind the scenes with the City Attorney to inform him of ongoing NRA CA lawsuits over registration of ammunition sales and a ban on hollow-point ammunition sales, which prompted the City Attorney to recommend that the council pull consideration of the ordinance.

Sunnyvale – (1) Submitted letter opposing inclusion of an extensive gun control package as a ballot measure for the residents to vote on, and assisted contingent of residents opposed to the ballot measure in formulating arguments to be included in the ballot pamphlet as the official opposition position; (2) Submitted letter opposing package of gun control ordinances that would have placed draconian zoning and other restrictions on licensed firearm dealers. The City prepared a detailed report on the subject, apparently due to the pressure it was receiving from those opposed to the ordinance, which concluded that firearm shops are not a danger to their surroundings.

Sutter County – Significantly limited the scope of a no-discharge ordinance and proposed expansion thereof for a popular hunting area by raising written objections to the Board of Supervisors, who then amended those provisions.

Twentynine Palms - Submitted letter opposing proposed amendment to the City's code that would have restricted target shooting on private land. The City followed our suggestions and adopted San Bernardino County's less-restrictive regulations.

Miscellaneous – The Project is also working behind the scenes successfully opposing (or attempting to oppose) local firearm regulations, the details of which often cannot be exposed.

RANGE ASSISTANCE EFFORTS:

Angeles National Forest - Consulted with Burro Canyon Shooting Park concerning attempts by the forest supervisor to restrict their activities.

Ojai - Helped Ojai Valley Gun Club respond to Ventura County’s attempts to enforce county land-use laws on this concessionaire operating on Forest Service land.

Los Padres National Forest - Consulted with Winchester Canyon Gun Club about the renewal of their operating permits from the U.S. Forest Service.

San Diego - Worked with a consortium of shooting ranges in San Diego County since early 2009 to oppose certain proposed revisions to the San Diego County Code that would impose drastic new limitations on target shooting in the unincorporated portions of San Diego County.

Bremerton, WA - Drafting an amicus curiae brief for the NRA in an appeal contesting the closure of an outdoor shooting range for alleged noise and safety nuisances, and for violating local land-use ordinances.

Sequim, WA – Conferring with the owners of Sunnydell Dryke Shooting Range concerning lead-remediation law and cleanup options.

Other examples of range protection efforts are ongoing statewide and often times cannot be disclosed.

OTHER EFFORTS:

Monitoring Government Agencies & Anti-Gun Groups - Submitting hundreds of Public Records Act requests to DOJ, ATF, and other agencies regulating firearms to keep tabs on activities, and monitoring groups like LCAV and the Brady Campaign to expose their modus operandi.

DOJ’s APPS Program – Monitoring Cal-DOJ’s program dedicated to pursuing people with firearm restrictions, exposing the program’s unfairness and dangers to lawful gun owners, and providing written materials explaining how to protect oneself from becoming a victim of the program.

MAIG Opposition – Monitor activities of MAIG by submitting Public Records Act requests to local governments for their correspondence with the anti-gun group, talking with public officials, and following press releases. Send letters to California mayors who are members of MAIG explaining the group’s true motives and encouraging to leave.

Gun Owner Defense – Assist countless NRA / CRPA members with firearm-related legal issues, and produce literature explaining California’s gun laws. Most notably, handled appeal of Gary Tudesko’s expulsion from high school for leaving unloaded shotguns in his truck parked off-campus after early morning duck hunting. Gary was reinstated. The case received national news coverage.

Member Communications – Provide media-alerts, commentary, and analysis on various current events impacting the firearm-owning community on a regular basis.

Seminars / Clinics /Debates – Have attorneys attend and participate in firearm-related educational functions throughout the state to increase knowledge of members and to increase membership.

Legal Memoranda - Produce various legal memoranda for public education (most of which can be found at www.calgunlaws.com), including such topics as: legality of firearms /accessories, clarifying ambiguous definitions for firearms /accessories, LEOSA compliance, FFL compliance, CCW compliance, and countless other topics.

Cokebottle
11-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Thank you Ronin.

NRA, as with CGF, has a LOT going on behind the scenes that is not commonly known because it, quite frankly, is too complex for a non-lawyer to fully grasp.

As Brandon often says... Chess, not Checkers.
Open carry was checkers.
However, now that OC has been banned, it MAY work out to be a useful chess move.

ordc
11-13-2015, 5:15 AM
Ronin,

Thank you for sharing what NRA has done in Cali. . . I do appreciate those efforts. However, most of those issues are defensive. I wish the NRA would go on the offensive and get California to be on par with most of the country on issues I numerated.

Dano3467
11-13-2015, 5:24 AM
Don't worry about it, just be one of the many who care enough to fight.

Ronin2
11-13-2015, 8:30 AM
Ronin,

Thank you for sharing what NRA has done in Cali. . . I do appreciate those efforts. However, most of those issues are defensive. I wish the NRA would go on the offensive and get California to be on par with most of the country on issues I numerated.

You are not being realistic in your expectations given the reality on the ground here in California (see below). In fact if that's your reason for not joining the NRA, not only is it a piss poor excuse, it's all the gun owners like you using ***** excuses like that the rationalize to your peer group why you don't spend the $35 or less / year to add to the "weight" of the NRA.

There are four things that prevent a strong offensive effort from being successful:

1) Overwhelming democratic voter registration and legislative dominance in Sacramento along with the anti gun agenda of the Democratic Party.

2) As a result of the above, the need to spend money wisely and "keep the powder dry" so that in picking and choosing our battles we have the assets to bring to bare when needed.

3) The unfortunate fact that California gun owners don't seem to mind the gun control activity in Sacremento as evidenced by:
- the lack of concern as evidenced at the polls by the state's 7 MILLION gun owners
- the lack of support for the NRA and its efforts by California gun owners with only 500,000 NRA members in a state with 7 million gun owners.
- I am sure that this reality is not lost on the morons in the legislature who undoubtedly see the underwhelming support for the NRA by Ca gun owners as proof that they haven't gone too far yet!!!

4) The importance of initiating ONLY litigation that you have a good shot at winning as losing only drives the nails in our RTKBA coffin faster.

mikeyr
11-13-2015, 10:57 AM
A life membership is $500 at Tom Gresham's guntalk.com
Done !!!

I didn’t find a "don’t disturb" check box like others have mentioned on the subscription page but I have the advantage of owning my own domain and e-mail so I signed up with nra@mydomain and can control the spam myself or even delete the e-mail address and re-create when needed.

I WAS a member back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I swear they at the time spent more on postage asking me for money then I paid in yearly dues. That was the reason I stopped my membership. I considered re-joining this year when it was $300 for life but oops, didn't do it in time. Never heard of Tom Gresham before but double checked and it seems a legit place (as legit as can be on a web check) and the web address his link sent me to was the NRA's so I signed up for life...almost debated life vs. yearly, due to my age now but did it.

GW
11-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Done !!!

I didnít find a "donít disturb" check box like others have mentioned on the subscription page but I have the advantage of owning my own domain and e-mail so I signed up with nra@mydomain and can control the spam myself or even delete the e-mail address and re-create when needed.

I WAS a member back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I swear they at the time spent more on postage asking me for money then I paid in yearly dues. That was the reason I stopped my membership. I considered re-joining this year when it was $300 for life but oops, didn't do it in time. Never heard of Tom Gresham before but double checked and it seems a legit place (as legit as can be on a web check) and the web address his link sent me to was the NRA's so I signed up for life...almost debated life vs. yearly, due to my age now but did it.

Damn good for you!
Welcome aboard.

ordc
11-13-2015, 12:27 PM
You are not being realistic in your expectations given the reality on the ground here in California (see below). In fact if that's your reason for not joining the NRA, not only is it a piss poor excuse, it's all the gun owners like you using ***** excuses like that the rationalize to your peer group why you don't spend the $35 or less / year to add to the "weight" of the NRA.

There are four things that prevent a strong offensive effort from being successful:

1) Overwhelming democratic voter registration and legislative dominance in Sacramento along with the anti gun agenda of the Democratic Party.

2) As a result of the above, the need to spend money wisely and "keep the powder dry" so that in picking and choosing our battles we have the assets to bring to bare when needed.

3) The unfortunate fact that California gun owners don't seem to mind the gun control activity in Sacremento as evidenced by:
- the lack of concern as evidenced at the polls by the state's 7 MILLION gun owners
- the lack of support for the NRA and its efforts by California gun owners with only 500,000 NRA members in a state with 7 million gun owners.
- I am sure that this reality is not lost on the morons in the legislature who undoubtedly see the underwhelming support for the NRA by Ca gun owners as proof that they haven't gone too far yet!!!

4) The importance of initiating ONLY litigation that you have a good shot at winning as losing only drives the nails in our RTKBA coffin faster.

Apparently you have not read all my posts. I do give and I am a member. I donate to the ILA, their legislative arms as well.

There are times though, I get contacted by them and they point out potential federal legislation that may hinder my gun rights. My response to them is that I live in California. Nothing federal that passes is worse than here and that they need to be on the offensive here in Cali.

Gun control did not happen overnight here. But I am not going to give up hope that it cannot be reversed. If you think that will not happen, why am I staying in California?! To me, gun laws are a symptom and sign of a controlling government and I want no part of it. If I am part of the very few who wants to reverse that, why bother.

poriggity
11-13-2015, 1:29 PM
Just ask yourself this:
When was the last time you heard politicians or the press or the Brady's whining about the SAF or the CCRKBA? Even though they are fighting the good fight, they are small potatoes compared to the NRA.
Complaining about Wayne LaPierre's salary is a pretty lame reason for not joining.
While I am not happy with the salaries of the top brass at the nra, I also understand they do a lot of good for firearms owners across the usa, althougj, california still has way too many problems that even the nra won't be able to fix. I'm skeptical of their power to make things go right in ca, but I am giving serious consideration to pony in up for a year or two to see where that's gonna get me.

poriggity
11-13-2015, 1:30 PM
Just ask yourself this:
On a side note, do you think that ANYONE working for a non profit deserves almost a million a year in salary??

GW
11-13-2015, 2:30 PM
On a side note, do you think that ANYONE working for a non profit deserves almost a million a year in salary??

If they get the results I/we as gun owner's want, then absolutely.
I grant that California is the toughest nut for the NRA to crack but they are here working on it and I can only imagine how much tougher the fight would be without the NRA. And never forget that the NRA, along with GOA, SAF and others, keeps the federal wolves at bay as well.The NRA is worthy of your support.

TonyNorCal
11-13-2015, 2:34 PM
When I joined, I called and said I don't want any mail or calls. I mean none, not even their silly magazine.

TonyNorCal
11-13-2015, 2:35 PM

I agree. They should be able to find someone exceedingly competent who feels passionately enough about the issue to do it for 1/5th of that.

Mayor McRifle
11-13-2015, 3:18 PM
I agree. They should be able to find someone exceedingly competent who feels passionately enough about the issue to do it for 1/5th of that.

In a sense, he is. A person with his skills and ability could be earning 10 to 20 times that amount in a similar for-profit corporate position.

ordc
11-13-2015, 5:13 PM

LaPierre is fighting the good fight. Much rather have him earn a mil a year vs. pro athletes who make millions, silicon valley billionaires, actors and actresses, singers, etc. . . .

I have to ask, are you jealous that he is making a mil a year doing something you would do for 1/4 as much? He makes the job look easy if anything which is why he gets a mil. I think a mil a year for what he does is a bargain quite frankly.

Ronin2
11-13-2015, 5:52 PM
Apparently you have not read all my posts. I do give and I am a member. I donate to the ILA, their legislative arms as well.

There are times though, I get contacted by them and they point out potential federal legislation that may hinder my gun rights. My response to them is that I live in California. Nothing federal that passes is worse than here and that they need to be on the offensive here in Cali.

Gun control did not happen overnight here. But I am not going to give up hope that it cannot be reversed. If you think that will not happen, why am I staying in California?! To me, gun laws are a symptom and sign of a controlling government and I want no part of it. If I am part of the very few who wants to reverse that, why bother.
Hhh

My bad. I misunderstood your position. Cheers!

coachrv
11-13-2015, 8:24 PM
Done !!!
Never heard of Tom Gresham before but double checked and it seems a legit place (as legit as can be on a web check) and the web address his link sent me to was the NRA's so I signed up for life...

Gresham has a weekly nationally syndicated radio show where they talk about all things guns. It airs on our local station on Sunday afternoon but I listen to the podcasts, usually a good show

Rainbow Warrior
11-14-2015, 8:11 AM
Never had the NRA try phone solicitation, Now the douche bags at the Sierra Club keep calling no matter how many times I tell them to F*** Off !
Don't know how they got my info but they're as annoying as can be.

Cokebottle
11-14-2015, 8:13 PM
Never had the NRA try phone solicitation, Now the douche bags at the Sierra Club keep calling no matter how many times I tell them to F*** Off !
Don't know how they got my info but they're as annoying as can be.
Ever shop at REI?
REI is a big supporter of SC.

ordc
11-15-2015, 10:42 AM
What exactly is Sierra Club? From what I understand they are pro conservation. Anything else they may be?

Cokebottle
11-15-2015, 1:37 PM
What exactly is Sierra Club? From what I understand they are pro conservation. Anything else they may be?
A bit more than pro-conservation.
They are an extremely liberal lobbying group, and they are one of the groups who fought to put an end to the expansion of building dams to produce hydroelectric power, and they are among the groups attempting to drain the reservoirs and breach the dams on Northern California rivers.
Lake Folsom and Lake Mead being so low is not because of the drought. We don't have a water supply problem, we have a water management problem. This problem is due to straw-man environmental policies.... dumping water into the ocean while providing no benefit.
Last year, the flood gates were opened on Lake Mead to send a large torrent down with the goal of flooding Laguna Salada. LS has been a barren desert for decades, and the "logic" behind the release was to help restore the area to what it once was.
ONE release? Sheer stupidity and a waste of millions of gallons of water.

They are the PETA of wildlands management.
Their ultimate goal is that all forests and natural habitats are completely closed to human beings except for the specific persons and uses that THEY feel are appropriate.

We have lost tens of thousands of square miles of off-highway vehicle land because of their activism.

Given their way, we would be restricted to paved roads... then their next step would be to remove the paved roads.

humble servant
11-15-2015, 7:19 PM
To be called weekly for money, have your email assaulted by them and your mail box filled weekly.

I joined and sent them a modest check every year. They spent more money on postage and late night phone calls to my home than I contributed. I respect their ideas, I despise their tactics and no longer contribute. 5

Small price to pay for all the good they do. I don't like all the junk mail either but I'm sure as he'll not going to quit over it. They hit us up because the left won't rest. It's an expensive fight and I'm glad the NRA exists. We should all be members of the CRPA, CRKBA, and the 2nd Amendment Foundation also.

ordc
11-15-2015, 8:34 PM
Sierra Club does those things?!