PDA

View Full Version : OLL AR Planning and the law question

GunOwner
07-29-2008, 8:11 AM
Given the current political scene I want to hedge my bet against a future AW ban at a federal level. So I plan on buying a few OLLs - just in case. I have limited funds so I was planning on just buying the lowers for now. My concern is that the legislature could start controlling upper receivers in the same way the now control lowers (force through the FFL process). Question is - what is the risk that this could happen - could they start requiring a serial number and registration of uppers as well as lowers? My gut sense is that would create massive confusion since guns would have two serial numbered parts but I thought I'd get some input.

Bottom line - am I pretty safe if I have my lowers by November or do I need to build complete weapons by then?

Blacktail 8541
07-29-2008, 8:31 AM
Lowers are a good start, but "if" a ban were enacted. Stripped lowers may not be enough. Buy that I mean they could simply mandate that only a complete rifle would be eligable for registration. So you would have to scramble to complete the recievers. Doesn't sound to difficult untill you consider all the other people who bought stipped lowers trying to do the same and the resultant shortage of parts. Same thing happened when the OLL movement started. Except that this would be a lot worse as the whole country would be trying to get parts.

GunOwner
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Is that what happened last time? What would prevent me from swapping parts (at least uppers) and doing registration in waves? So they can require a full build I could not just register the lowers?

bwiese
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I believe we're fairly safe at the Federal level regarding AW bans. Senate/House pro-gun composition won't change that much.

The main Fed issue revolves around the next President's likely nominations to the Supreme Court for any prospective replacements.

We're locked in at the state level on OLLs, there's no way they're gonna revert AB2728 - that was the 'fix'.

Your main worry should be the ammo bills and 'smart handgun' bills going on in Calif. Call/write/fax as per directives on http:/www.calnra.com

GunOwner
07-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I believe we're fairly safe at the Federal level regarding AW bans. Senate/House pro-gun composition won't change that much.

The main Fed issue revolves around the next President's likely nominations to the Supreme Court for any prospective replacements.

We're locked in at the state level on OLLs, there's no way they're gonna revert AB2728 - that was the 'fix'.

Your main worry should be the ammo bills and 'smart handgun' bills going on in Calif. Call/write/fax as per directives on http:/www.calnra.com

Thanks and I am absolutely concerned about the smart gun and ammo bills have been writing per NRA requests/notices - will keep it up. Does anyone make a smart gun? If they don't given Heller can that law go down as a ban?

hoffmang
07-29-2008, 11:36 AM
There is no present technology that meets the smart gun standard. The problem is that its a partial ban that gets worse over time making it more muddled to challenge. Best to have it not become law.

-Gene