PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Storage ideas?

iMigraine
11-06-2015, 8:06 AM
Been thinking about buying or building an outdoor storage shed to store extra powder and primers. I kinda like the idea of a plastic shed since it can handle rain and resist termites better than wood. So the idea is to maybe purchase something like this Suncast Model #BMS3400
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=454270&d=1446825440

Place my powder inside a spare igloo cooler or ammo cans and primers inside ammo cans. I like that I can place it on the side of the house in a corner of my brick walls so it won't been directly next to the wall of the house, in case of fire or explosion.

daveinwoodland
11-06-2015, 8:19 AM
While you're at it I would also put up some galvanized walls to make a fairly inexpensive faraday cage. Good place to store some survival electronics.

edgerly779
11-06-2015, 8:26 AM
Not very bright and more than likely illegal. Look up storage of smokeless powder. There are regs abhout it. Maybe build a proper powder magazine and put inside of that container.

Prepped and ready
11-06-2015, 8:31 AM
I have one of those sheds. Great for garden stuff, thats it. A friend of mine has a safe in his shed where he keeps all of that stuff.

Dano3467
11-06-2015, 8:32 AM
Will temperature/moisture swings affect powder & are primers a little more sensitive to this ? just sayin.

ez2b
11-06-2015, 8:37 AM
Condensation / moisture is going to be your worst enemy.!!!!!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

russ69
11-06-2015, 8:48 AM
A cool dry place...hard to do in an outdoor shed.

boomer135
11-06-2015, 8:57 AM
What is your reason for considering storing powder, and primers outdoors?

Not a good idea IMO.

onelonehorseman
11-06-2015, 9:25 AM
I would look into a proper powder magazine design that will be safer+more secure, and locate it where the humidity/temperature will be consistently lower and more stable.

iMigraine
11-06-2015, 9:34 AM
So far, I'm reading that a powder magazine storage box should be made from 1" think wood. Will do some more research. I like the idea of keeping it outside if possible.

Divernhunter
11-06-2015, 9:56 AM
Prepped and ready----Never store powder(or primers) in a safe. Your friend just made a bomb.
That is why a powder mag always has a top(or side) that is weaker so the blast will go toward a safe area if it blows up.

I would not store powder or primers outside. Maybe in the garage but best in the house.

Hairball
11-06-2015, 10:08 AM
It is possible but it's not the best option, especially if the location is not climate controlled to some degree. Your powder will not blow up in the house, just flash burn and that's it. Sure it will burn if the house is on fire or you hold a heat source to it but it wont just combust on its own. The amount of powder that we can have in CA is so small that it does not take up much room so no real need to store it off site. I use a gym wall locker (18 seperate lockers) and keep my powder and primers in a few of them in the garage. Metal and vented if there is an issue.

Barbarosa
11-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't think I would store powder or primers outdoors, but if I had to I wouldn't use a plastic shed. Mice and rats chew their way through plastic in no time and would make a mess of your stuff.

If you really want to do it look into a Knaack (or Jobbox, rigid, etc) steel gang box. I store chicken feed in one out in the open and don't have a problem with moisture, but if I were storing powder I would probably use a Goldenrod type dryer.

gibbet
11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
I have a suncast bms4900 for backyard storage. Its not secure, one kick on the panels and its done for. But it is dry inside and ive not seen any signs of rusting on the gear inside. Put it on an elevated concrete slab with good drainage in the shade and it can house your lawnmower just fine. I wouldnt use it for powder and primers tho.

Flyron
11-06-2015, 1:39 PM
My uncle has a storm cellar w/food & dry goods. Stays very cool and he keeps all his loading components powder & primers in there without issues.

iMigraine
11-06-2015, 1:51 PM
Now I'm looking at wooden storage boxes. Sportsman's Guide has a US Military surplus crate (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-us-military-surplus-wooden-case?a=1772462) that looks promising but I don't know the thickness of the wood.

tileguy
11-06-2015, 3:22 PM
use an old stand up freezer has shelves and is lockable and is air tight or an old refrigerator and add a lockable clasp to it

tileguy
11-06-2015, 3:23 PM
a used appliance store will probably give away a non working unit

tileguy
11-06-2015, 3:30 PM
so it doesnt look so bad with an old appliance on the side of the house put the unit inside your shed

Prepped and ready
11-06-2015, 3:43 PM
Well I would hope in a 60min rated safe, it wouldn't that big of a deal. But then, I know nothing about the flash point of primers and powder. I dont reload.

Prepped and ready----Never store powder(or primers) in a safe. Your friend just made a bomb.
That is why a powder mag always has a top(or side) that is weaker so the blast will go toward a safe area if it blows up.

I would not store powder or primers outside. Maybe in the garage but best in the house.

iMigraine
11-06-2015, 4:29 PM
Think I might have found a good solution, this gentleman's idea discussed on xdtalk.com shows his handy work (http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/wooden-cabinets-for-powder-and-primers.197951/). I'll probably build one for the garage for powder and a smaller on for primers inside the house.