PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG Information Needed

Ding126
07-28-2008, 4:58 PM
Were the 50 cal. BMG rifles banned by caliber or model number? Was there a registration period? I'm trying to find information and to determine if having one is illegal.

Thank you in advance

ldivinag
07-28-2008, 5:06 PM
the kalif ban on the .50bmg is SHOULDER FIRED RIFLES only.

that's why a recent thread here on a guy with a MA DUECE popped up...

the M2 cant be fired from a shoulder... well at least the ones with paddle grips...

762cavalier
07-28-2008, 5:07 PM
Also they were banned by caliber, specifically .50BMG so any deviation from that caliber is OK (hence the .510DTC)

Yes there was a registration period and if you missed it you are out of luck.

jmlivingston
07-28-2008, 6:18 PM
Were the 50 cal. BMG rifles banned by caliber or model number? Was there a registration period? I'm trying to find information and to determine if having one is illegal.

Thank you in advance

They were banned by caliber, there was a registration period, the ban classified them as a type of Assault Weapon. Having one in your possession that is not registered is a big time no-no and there's no way for you to get it registered now. If you do have one, certainly don't admit to it publicly here, and contact these people for legal assistance: www.tmllp.com.

Edited to add: the ban only applies to rifles, not crew-served long-guns.

John

bcrich
07-28-2008, 10:00 PM
If somebody missed the registration for the 50bmg, they should probably have it re-chambered for the 510 dtc. The rounds cost more but it's better than getting busted or handing it over/getting rid of it. That would be a sad story

gazzavc
07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I seem to remember something else was in there, if it was on the C&R list it was also exempt.

So unless its a Boys Anti-Tank rifle in 50BMG, your buggered mate !!

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2008, 5:18 AM
If somebody missed the registration for the 50bmg, they should probably have it re-chambered for the 510 dtc. The rounds cost more but it's better than getting busted or handing it over/getting rid of it. That would be a sad story

First, the OP is thinking of getting one while living in another state. He does not own a 50 right now.

Now, how does a DTC round cost more? Most people are going to make their own rounds and everything is the exact same as the BMG round except you have a few more steps to prep your brass. Really, the cost is going to be equal minus a little time prepping virgin brass.

bcrich
07-29-2008, 8:06 PM
Well if "somebody" happens to live out of state like arizona then it's all good, and if they don't re-load such as myself.....the 510 dtc rounds are harder to find and the last time I did see dtc rounds at a show they were more than the barret 50 bmg rounds which were $50 for 10, cant recall exactly how much they were though. You would deffinetly want to roll your own for the 510

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2008, 8:14 PM
Well if "somebody" happens to live out of state like arizona then it's all good, and if they don't re-load such as myself.....the 510 dtc rounds are harder to find and the last time I did see dtc rounds at a show they were more than the barret 50 bmg rounds which were $50 for 10, cant recall exactly how much they were though. You would deffinetly want to roll your own for the 510

I know of two current licenced manufacturers who load DTC. I believe that both charge less than $5/round for DTC ball ammo. Our own "mrkobota" is one of them so, if you want some just PM him.

Fjold
07-29-2008, 8:29 PM
The caliber (.510) is legal.

New rifles chambered for the 50 BMG cartridge were banned.